Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 10

Author Topic : Newbie
 Kaleidoscope Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/30/2015 9:20:05 PM reply with quote send message to Kaleidoscope Kennels Object to Post   

Greetings All,
I just signed up and I have read some of the help sections on getting started. If I read it right, I should buy dogs in the market and offer to set up starter dogs for someone else?

I guess I want to know what the next step is. The only thing I did was put a session up for sale since I most likely don't need it today and also see what happens in that case.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thank you!
 Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2015 9:22:40 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

Do you know what breed you are interested in? Many breeders will be willing to help you out if you ask. And yes buy your dogs from the market, not starter dogs.
 Kaleidoscope Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2015 9:50:44 PM reply with quote send message to Kaleidoscope Kennels Object to Post

I have German Shepherds in real life so I was thinking of doing them in the game. Is there any benefit to certain breeds?

Any recommendations about breed are welcome too. I tend to prefer bigger dog breeds ie stature of dog not number in the breed. LOL

Thanks much!
 Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2015 10:38:14 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

There is not really any advantage to one breed over another. To my knowledge German shepherds are pretty popular right now. I have golden retrievers, English setters, Nova Scotia duck tolling retrievers, and field spaniels so if you have any interest in those let me know. You will want to find the best quality dogs you can to start your lines.
 Kaleidoscope Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/30/2015 11:59:20 PM reply with quote send message to Kaleidoscope Kennels Object to Post

Thanks for the information. I would be interested in an English Setter pup. Love the setters as well. Grew up with English Pointers as my dad upland game bird hunted as well.

I plan on sessioning the puppies and was wondering if you enter a show, does it automatically put the puppies in puppy classes?

Again thanks for the information. This is quite different than Trophyhorse which I have played for years. LOL
 Ariege
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2015 3:22:50 AM reply with quote send message to Ariege Object to Post

Welcome to SD! laugh :D

This is a REALLY good tutorial guide on showing dogs:

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=471707

Kaleidoscope Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2015 10:27:33 AM reply with quote send message to Kaleidoscope Kennels Object to Post

Thanks for the tutorial. I will really read it when I am ready to show. Did anyone do one for starting out?
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2015 2:31:57 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

This is the only other tutorial I could find:

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=391848

I'll see if I can find one that focuses more on breeding happy :)
 Kaleidoscope Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2016 10:27:46 AM reply with quote send message to Kaleidoscope Kennels Object to Post

Thank you Dalkeith, that is very helpful.

According to the forum it say use the 1st month free breedings but why would one do that if you are still learning?
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2016 12:57:29 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

posted by Kaleidoscope Kennels
I have German Shepherds in real life so I was thinking of doing them in the game. Is there any benefit to certain breeds?

Any recommendations about breed are welcome too. I tend to prefer bigger dog breeds ie stature of dog not number in the breed. LOL

Thanks much!

I definitely recommend GSDs, we're a friendly group of breeders and I don't doubt people would be willing to share their puppies with you :P wink ;). The rarer breeds are a bit tougher because less people are playing them and it's harder to breed with variety.. but otherwise I don't think there's much benefit to choosing one breed over another. GSDs have healthy competition in the ring too happy :)
 Kaleidoscope Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2016 7:21:10 PM reply with quote send message to Kaleidoscope Kennels Object to Post

Thank you Little River. I am looking forward to my first show. I really like the pup I bought so we will see if I can get the hang of things before I run out of money. LOL

Replies in this thread : 10

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler