Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Westminster dog show Please read
 Moon Acres
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
2/15/2016 12:15:55 PM reply with quote send message to Moon Acres Object to Post   

How do you get to show your dog here ? is it Champions only
I was told the first 25 top dogs in your breed ..But i was sure i read some where that Champions only on a first come Once the amount of dogs are entered then entries were stopped
Wait to hear from anyone who can let me know Thank you
Westminster dog show Please read
0 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/15/2016 12:48:10 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I think the top ones are invited. Back when I showed Afghan Hounds, it wasn't champions only, it was like any other show, but the entries were so huge... It was held at MSG then too, not at the piers.
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
2/15/2016 7:14:50 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

I am not sure how many of the top dogs in a breed are invited, but yes they get their invite first. After that the entries open up to anyone who can get in before the max entries are reached. For years it was open to all, then it went to champions only, now (recently 3 or 5 years now) it is again open to all. 3 years ago, I believe the old english shepdog came out of the classes to win the herding group.

krisk
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
2/15/2016 9:32:24 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

krisk is correct ... there are "top 10" invitations sent out but then the entries are open to anyone including class dogs. There is no maximum entry for any one breed, just first come basis to all. Only Junior Handlers HAVE to qualify for Westminster. They each must have won a minimum of 10 Best Junior awards and have a 3.2 GPA to qualify and receive an invitation.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
2/15/2016 9:33:47 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by Acclamation
krisk is correct ... there are "top 10" invitations sent out but then the entries are open to anyone including class dogs. There is no maximum entry for any one breed, just first come basis to all. Only Junior Handlers HAVE to qualify for Westminster. They each must have won a minimum of 10 Best Junior awards and have a 3.2 GPA to qualify and receive an invitation.
It's actually currently 7 Best Juniors
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
2/15/2016 9:35:00 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

It's top 10 and B.O.B winners from the Nationals. Then entries open. When entering class dogs you have to have at least one major in the dog.
 Moon Acres
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/17/2016 10:24:47 AM reply with quote send message to Moon Acres Object to Post

Thank you everyone
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/17/2016 2:12:50 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I think the class dogs have to have one major win to enter still at least that what is was the year the OES won the group

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.