Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Puzzled
 Glittering
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/18/2016 2:27:13 AM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post   

Hi people

3 handler specialties. In all 3 a dog entered without a handler has beaten a dog entered with a handler (judges are handler judges). Look for Best Opposite or BISS.

Comments? I'm confused.

www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Gymea%2017&breed=Sealyham%20Terrier

www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Gymea%2018&breed=Sealyham%20Terrier

www.showdog.com/shows/breed_results.aspx?show=Gymea%2019&breed=Sealyham%20Terrier

HighCountry
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2016 5:43:14 PM reply with quote send message to HighCountry Object to Post

Linda is "not very political"
 HighCountry
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2016 5:43:55 PM reply with quote send message to HighCountry Object to Post

Amanda "Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't overt in it."
 HighCountry
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2016 5:44:29 PM reply with quote send message to HighCountry Object to Post

Jolene "Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't overt in it. Low level of breed bias."
 HighCountry
Basic User

Basic User
5/18/2016 5:46:10 PM reply with quote send message to HighCountry Object to Post

Whether they are handled by a handler or not isnt always a deciding factor. My take on it is if there are comparable dogs and they like to see handlers then they may be more likley to choose the one handled rather than the owner. All a game of chance as is any dog show here or irl happy :)
 terryterrier
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/29/2016 5:59:02 PM reply with quote send message to terryterrier Object to Post

So if we did this at the daily shows, we might win without handlers?
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
5/30/2016 4:08:02 AM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

This is silly.

People enter shows very early to get the best handlers. There is a lot of discussion about which handlers are best for which judges. Noone suggest no handlers (except for handler free judges).

If I look at shows for today, in Group placings the highest an owner handled dog has come in group is 10th. Generally in the last few of each group.

I thought I understood handlers - pick the judge's highest ranked (lowest numbered) available handler. Placings are normally given to dogs with good handlers.

In this case the handler-system appears to have failed. If noone has any better ideas I'll just write it off to the random factor (as I've sighed and done before) ... just hoped someone could tell me what I was doing wrong.
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2016 7:21:19 PM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

I would say that it's partially random, but also the dogs that did win were better SOP-wise. When you're looking at judges that are "handler" judges, it doesn't always mean that a handler can win with any dog.

With some judges, they will choose a handler over a non-handler only if all other is equal; others will choose only a most-preferred handler over a slightly weaker dog; others will require a great disparity to choose the non-handler dog.
 Glenfield
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2016 6:25:17 PM reply with quote send message to Glenfield Object to Post

Just interested - as in those listed trials under 3 different handler judges there was no great disparity between dogs.
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2016 9:02:41 AM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

Yes, and as an example, I've had a 98.30 GSD take WB over a 98.70 and a 98.80 because I got the judge's favorite handler. It is partially random though.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class