Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Top 10 Breeders Question
 ZipLine Thai Ridgebacks
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/29/2016 8:43:01 AM reply with quote send message to ZipLine Thai Ridgebacks Object to Post   

This question is directed at the breeders of the top 10 breeds...

If you have many dogs in your kennel that are of great quality and have SOP's that are all in the same range (say, 98.60 or 99.50), how do you decide which ones to keep and which ones to sell/fh?

I have another kennel that is dabbling in the top 10 breeds, and am faced with that problem, so any and all feedback will be helpful!
 Brubaker
Basic User

Basic User
10/6/2016 1:49:03 AM reply with quote send message to Brubaker Object to Post

I also have many dogs with same SOP's. With making a decision which one keeping and which one not I follow this pattern:

Progeny
How good are they producing? - back to age: Did they fullfil their "job"

Last but not least: Traits! Are there any could help me to come closer to the wanted SOP.
 London Calling
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/10/2016 11:46:52 PM reply with quote send message to London Calling Object to Post

I have 4 Top Ten breeds scattered thru the family.

When sorting litters, For me if the sop is very close and they are the same sex I go for a specific trait I'm trying to improve. If different sexes then i have to decide which i need more a brood or a stud. Of course with some of the breeds I have to add colour into the equation too.
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
10/11/2016 11:09:37 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

Also watch lines, parentage....

Shriker Valley
Basic User

Basic User
10/31/2016 1:24:49 PM reply with quote send message to Shriker Valley Object to Post

Also, there is a way to look at the old system of genetic quality. Many dogs that show up as all 10's show lesser qualities on the old system. Darned if I can find that link!
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
10/31/2016 1:40:17 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Beyond SOPs and traits, I also look at the show record behind the dogs or if both dogs were shown, their own record.

I have thrown unsessioned dogs into a show without a handler and with a judge that likes my breed to give me a hint on ranking.

K

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.