Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Newbie
 StormRyder
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/3/2016 10:12:28 AM reply with quote send message to StormRyder Object to Post   

Hi, I'm a newbie. Any tips/advice you can offer? Also. What does COI stand for?
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
10/3/2016 1:04:27 PM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

Don't get into too many breeds in one kennel. My biggest problem as a newbie, still an issue sometimes.

As a basic, I used to session dogs for other people to make money. Some people also like to show other people's dogs and then once they're a champion, sell them back to the breeder.

I don't know what COI stands for but here is the help topic on the subject. www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=74

Welcome to the game! Hope you enjoy it happy :)
Alexandria
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
10/3/2016 1:35:00 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

There are 2 'Guides' on the Beginner Forum

here's the link to the Showdog for Basic Accounts
www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=391848

the other is a Guide to Showing

COI is Co-efficient of Inbreeding I believe
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/3/2016 3:40:15 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

Coefficient Of Inbreeding
COI stands for Coefficient Of Inbreeding and is the calculation used to determine the level of inbreeding on an individual dog or puppy.

It basically is a way of calculating how many common ancestors a dog has. You want to keep this number as low as possible because it does influence the quality of the puppies to some extent.
 Beautiful Obsession
Basic User

Basic User
10/3/2016 6:49:10 PM reply with quote send message to Beautiful Obsession Object to Post

The COI should be kept below 15%.

Anything 15% and below will NOT effect the genetic quality of the pups.

Anything above 15% will start to have an effect.

Some players have deliberately bred litters that have 15-18% COI and have managed to get some outstanding pups as a results - but the higher you go the worse the effect becomes. In this instance - you might get one superb pup and the rest of the litter will be the worst you've ever seen. Other times the effect isn't as dramatic - and other times you get mediocre pups that aren't worth keeping. Most players only ever have these litters if they are trying to 'lock in' a trait.

Breeding and genetics can often be frustrating enough at times without having to worry about the COI% effecting the litter too - hence why it's always best to keep it below 15%.
 Maximumwheeliy
Basic User

Basic User
4/19/2020 5:25:00 PM reply with quote send message to Maximumwheeliy Object to Post

Welcome thank you for bringing kindness

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler