Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Starting a Source Project...Any tips?
 Dekoy
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/4/2016 10:22:15 AM reply with quote send message to Dekoy Object to Post   

So this is something Iv'e always wanted to do so I finally have the time to do it! I've picked a breed and started already but am wondering if any one has any tips? (other then patience lol)
 Wicked Wiccan
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2016 10:24:03 AM reply with quote send message to Wicked Wiccan Object to Post

Is it a color breeding project? If so I may have a few tips happy :)
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/4/2016 11:38:52 AM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

The only advice I can give you if this is going to be a source line you create like mine is pack your patience. I've been source breeding for over 10 years and still haven't caught up to the current dogs. I still love it though as this is my project with only my dogs. Something no one else can say, so yes I'm proud of what I've achieved so far.

You might want to have some current dogs along with the source dogs so you can still do other things to keep the game interesting.

WishMaker
 Dekoy
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2016 6:33:48 PM reply with quote send message to Dekoy Object to Post

I may do some color breeding in it as the breed is missing some colors but I don't think I can fully color breed as there is so many colors and my knowledge in that area is limited.

And I know its going to take FOREVER but I really want to create my own line all my own dogs so I don't think I will mix current SOP. (Unless I give up at some point lol)

And I have 5 total kennels so I figure the other 4 will keep my interest with showing and what not.

I will for sure takes tips for color breeding though as I do want to help the with the missing colors and if I do get bored I may try two projects. One all source and the second bringing some of the missing colors up to current SOP by mixing the two but IDK if that would end up being two complicated.
 Sköll
Basic User

Basic User
10/4/2016 8:20:47 PM reply with quote send message to Sköll Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If you choose to color breed here are my suggestions:

1) I would pick three colors you want to work on at the max.This will allow you to focus on these colors and helps you maintain them over a long line of breeding. I had this problem when I was color breeding German Shepherds as I kept loosing the Liver color by breeding to other colors such as sables.

2) Get to know the color genes for the colors you choose and the colors you are breeding to. I tend to make a spreadsheet of each color I am working with so I can try and get an estimate on what colors will be produced in each breeding.

*Note: If there are a TON of different genetic codes for the same color try and find the common genes. For instance in Pomeranians, in blue brindle, the genes always present in each blue brindle code are AtAw,BB,C,dd,and Ebr.

3)I tend to use the call name as a place to write out the genes present in that dog's color. It makes it easier to remember and it's more convenient than opening your spreadsheet every time you go to do a breeding.

4)I also would recommend if you are going to do a color breeding project with the goal of getting that color to current SOP that you breed to current SOP dogs. In my Pomeranian kennel, I am breeding to current SOP dogs and it is working so far. If you lose the color by breeding to a current SOP dog you can always breed back to another dog with the same color. For instance, if I bred a blue brindle bitch to a black male and the pups were black I could always breed to another blue brindle dog and it potentially could bring back the blue brindle color in that litter.

These are my main suggestions. I have color bred GSDs and am currently color breeding Poms and it is a challenge but it is very rewarding. I love checking my account and seeing what colors have dropped from each litter and seeing the SOPs rise over time. Best of luck to you and I hope you have a great SD experience!

Tia

This is Wicked Wiccan. Posted from one of my other kennels.

-----
Last edited by Sköll on 10/4/2016 8:21:25 PM
 Wicked Wiccan
Basic User

Basic User
10/5/2016 6:08:38 AM reply with quote send message to Wicked Wiccan Object to Post

Also here is a link to buy starter dogs and you can choose the specific color you want but it will cost you some extra funds.

www.showdog.com/users/newstarters.aspx

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.