Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Is anyone able to help me understand this?
 Komorebi
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/2/2016 5:58:42 PM reply with quote send message to Komorebi Object to Post   

It's a well-known fact that I'm absolutely dreadful with understanding colour genetics :P

I'm trying to focus on Red Sable (Swedish Vallhunds) in this kennel - but there aren't any current SOP red's to breed to - so it's been *very* slow progress. I've just been breeding source to source.

What I'd like to know (if possible!) is:

Is there another colour I can breed the Red's to in order to increase their SOP faster?

Grey Sable is THE most dominant colour in our breed - so I've been steering well clear of that with my colour project dogs.

From my very little knowledge - I think if I breed a Black to a Red then I might have a chance? (Or I could be completely wrong lol!)

Any help would be appreciated! happy :)
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/2/2016 6:54:42 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

You can go to Black or Blue or Grey actually.

Red, Black, Blue & Gray are all "AA"

Black is BB/Bb DD/Dd
Blue is BB/Bb dd
and red is bb DD/Dd/dd

What makes Grey is the 'C' locus - Black and Blue are CC or Cc - where grey is cc.

Red (bb) 'hides' the c locus - so bb CC, bb Cc and bb cc are all red.

BUT it's going to take two breedings to get your red. (UNLESS some of your current SOP dogs are hiding a 'b')

So, the only genes that we are concerned with are the 'AA' and the 'B'

Take your two best reds and breed them to a Black, Blue or Grey. Your puppies will be AA Bb

Depending on how much room you have - you will keep 1 or 2 boys and 1 or 2 girls - they will probably be black/blue.

Once those puppies are 30 days breed them together.
This litter (AA Bb x AA Bb) will produce

AA BB - Black/Blue/Grey
AA Bb - Black/Blue/Grey
AA bb - Red

Keep your best Reds and repeat the process.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/2/2016 6:57:24 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

The only color I would stay away from is the Yellow Sable. One 'ay' gene hides everything.
 Komorebi
Basic User

Basic User
11/6/2016 5:02:40 PM reply with quote send message to Komorebi Object to Post

Thanks so much Rhonda! This was exactly what I was looking for happy :) Thanks for putting in the time to explain it to me - muchly appreciated happy :)

Cheers happy :)
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
11/12/2016 9:43:04 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Omg Rhonda you have this down! Can you help me understand the Akita genetics to breed reds (without brindling). So far i've tested that fawns will produce red when bred to red. But other than that i'm failing miserably on my color program. Akitas are HARD to get rid of the brindling.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/12/2016 1:41:01 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

There appears to be some errors in the Akita coding. I have asked GaylanStudio to take a look and confirm

according to the color model Akitas are missing some colors/combinations.

the 'kk' dogs should be Black, Brown, Red, Silver (with no Brindle) - but the color gene page shows them all listed as Fawn, Fawn Pinto and Fawn with Black Overlay Pinto.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.