Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Do you believe starters should be of better quality?
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/22/2017 5:02:03 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post   

Right now, starters are horrible quality and it will take 3-4 years before they would ever be competitive in the current game.

Do you think the quality should be increased?

Some options:
Keep it the same.
Adjust the SOP to be a percentage of the current active average - 25% 50% 75% as examples

Do you believe starters should be of better quality?
Create starters that are 75% of the current average SOP for the breed 10.53%
Create starters that are 50% of the current average SOP for the breed 58.95%
Keep the system the same. 17.89%
Create starters that are 25% of the current average SOP for the breed 12.63%
72 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
1/22/2017 9:39:55 PM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

Yes
 Kennel Drakar
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2017 1:17:33 AM reply with quote send message to Kennel Drakar Object to Post

I voted yes... Some of the recessive colors in a few breeds will likely take 3 or more years to get up to show standards. It is down right depressing lol...
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2017 8:11:47 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

I think a choice of better starters wouldn't be a bad thing, as has already been stated, getting some of the lost colours back into a breed is hard work especially with recessives

In another kennel I am part of the movement to bring back Portuguese pointers that were nearly extinct on the game. They are getting there, another couple of generations and they will be early 90's. (I already own a couple of dogs just above 90)

This was only possible due to one of the people in the breed finding a ton of hidden studs. We would have had to have started from scratch otherwise which can take over a decade. Few people are going to have the patience to do that.

Better starters would give people the chance to start their own lines and not have to dedicate a decade to doing so.
 Rainbow Poms
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2017 10:56:53 AM reply with quote send message to Rainbow Poms Object to Post

Yes! 50% of current standard would be very useful, not high enough that they are competitive in the show ring against current dogs but not so awful that bringing back lost colours to show standard is not so difficult happy :)
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2017 5:28:36 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

I think 50% of the current SOP would be great!

Great idea!
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2017 5:58:19 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Jaime.

I agree with a lot of your points. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in starters to create a source line. But, I'd like the option of purchasing better starters to breed up from if I can't find a dog for sale in the breed.

This is a SHOWING game so I'd like to be able to show against current dogs sooner rather than later.

Will
 HotSauce
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2017 7:18:10 PM reply with quote send message to HotSauce Object to Post

I'd even be willing to pay more money for different tiered starters.
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/5/2017 10:11:48 PM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

It will take a lot longer than 3-4 years to have competitive dogs if you are breeding purely source to source dogs. I've been source breeding for over 10 years and I still don't have any dogs that would win in the show ring. I wish source dogs had been better when I started my project, but oh well I will catch up someday.

WishMaker
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
2/6/2017 10:48:17 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

fwiw..I voted 75%

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.