.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Opinions on entering with less competitive breed
 Lisboa
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/15/2017 8:12:39 PM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post   

Hi people

I'm in a number of less-competitive breeds (never been game to put my toes in the water of those other ones).

Am I better to enter a number of dogs in a number of different shows ... or all my dogs in the one show?

With a number of different shows I can get more breed or group placements. With one breed I can get more points for my champions and yet to be champions.

I'm also aware of swamping the opposition if my dogs are better - don't want to dishearten my fellow breeders/showers.

Comments?
 All Star Acres
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2017 8:43:37 PM reply with quote send message to All Star Acres Object to Post

I have dabbled in a couple of breeds only to discover there is one person who enters many dogs spread across all 5 shows for the day... and they will have all shows booked out a week in advance. They are doing nothing wrong, but I must say it can seem daunting to try and "break in" with a breed like that. When I have encountered this, I have finished the dogs I took on and then didn't pursue the breed any further. It made me feel like I was "intruding" happy :)

Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2017 9:42:14 PM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

I've had similar experiences to All Star Acres.

Recently I've picked up lowchens and am doing REALLY well with them (surprisingly) and enjoying them, and west highland white terriers. I'm enjoying the wasties as well.

I think it depends on how much you like the breed you're getting into. There's a few that I got into, played with for a little while... and then just FH'd honestly.
 Loch Tay
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2017 11:01:50 PM reply with quote send message to Loch Tay Object to Post

It depends what your goals are. I think it's ok to do 2 shows a night as long as there at least 2 other shows available for others. But if you are going for Bronze for a particular dog or to get more into SWDC then put all in one show.
Just watch out for... too many entries makes the requirement numbers for majors, go up, which won't make you popular!

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.