Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : The Grain Free Controversy
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/15/2018 7:42:26 AM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post   

Hi there,

I've recently been hearing some bad things linked to grain-free dog food causing heart failure, and I was wondering what different opinions some of you may have? I kept my Border Collies on the grain-free Taste Of The Wild food because they seem to do well on it, but I switched all of our other dogs over to Gentle Giants Dog Food. Just looking for honest opinions right now. I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,
Cassie
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/16/2018 2:14:12 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I don't know what the issue might be with the grain free diets but perhaps if they are trying to source lower cost ingredients in order to stay price competitive with those that do include grains they are using lower quality forms of the non-grain ingredients.

I cook my own and have done for, oh 10 years at least. I include brown rice and/or oatmeal along with assorted veggies and of course lean hamburger, chicken, and smaller quantities of chicken liver and hearts. Occasionally I'll open a tin of salmon or tuna for them (that goes over reeeally well - lol).

I started to home-cook when all those various tainted food issues came up. It seemed that none of them could be totally trusted - just too many different sources and too much emphasis on cost perhaps. I rather believe I lost a cat to one of the earliest episodes before it was generally exposed - too little too late to save Tiffy.

The only "dog food" I use regularly are their cookies. I tried baking my own treats but quit when Tyler started to turn his nose up at them - I fail as a dog cookie baker (they are a lot of work for little product) but my dog stews go over really well. Sometimes, depending what I'm having I just make a little extra and they eat the same stuff.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/17/2018 10:46:20 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I just heard about this yesterday at the feed store from a lady who had a dog suffering from symptoms that were relieved when she went back to a food with grain. I'm going to do some research. I feed my dog Eagle Brand.
 Diasonia
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2018 1:11:45 PM reply with quote send message to Diasonia Object to Post

We fed raw (meat, bone, veggies mix) and also give dehydrated grain free food.
I find that with dogs is pretty much like with humans, each dog could react differently to the same food. A lot has to do with genetics, living conditions etc.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2018 4:04:56 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

There is currently a study being done about the link between grain-free diets that are very high in lentels, legumes, peas and potato and dilated cardiomyopathy.

I work in the vet industry and this recent alert is slowly making it's way through the various pet audiences.

It is definitely something to be very aware about - and the current advice is to be very cautious and keep a close eye on any clinical signs (symptoms) that your dog starts to show that are related to dilated cardiomyopathy if they are on a grain-free or 'boutique' diet.

Until the university that is conducting the research have concluded their investigation the entire pet community needs to remain extra vigilant.

If it turns out that there isn't a problem with 'grain-free' or 'boutique' diets - then that's a good outcome for those owners who prefer those foods.

And if it ends up being proven that there is a definitive, causitive link then at least the pet food market may be forced into a complete overhaul, or even a crackdown on pet food standards - but I feel that that particular 'hope' may be as likely as seeing a unicorn walking down my street. Despite Australia and America having their own 'pet food authorities' it is still far too easy for any Tom, Jane or Harry to start up their own line of food and slap outrageous claims on the bag with little to no research, standards or testing.

As a vet nurse in Australia I only recommend Royal Canin and Hills with complete confidence. As an owner I would potentially consider Eukanuba, Proplan or Iams for a small breed dog or a cat.

But to be perfectly honest the only food I consider to be 'at my high standards' for my own dogs (Large breed) is Royal Canin. They have both been raised on it from 8 weeks and I consider it to be adequate - other than my annoyance at the ridiculously tiny kibble size considering it's for large breeds, LOL.
 angus my golden retriver
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2018 6:40:30 AM reply with quote send message to angus my golden retriver Object to Post

The issue I find with the paper is that it compares all grain free foods which is a very broad spectrum. To have a paper with any true merit it needs a controlled sample of dogs all having the same food, as there may be other factors causing the issues in grain free dogs. Such as poor quality ingredients etc

I’m feeding my puppy on grain free so I’m not sure if I should change her diet or not. She’s doing very well on it so I don’t know if I want to change it again!
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/18/2018 5:10:20 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

This is the first i have heard of it,i have been feeding grain free to my beagle for years because of her severe allergies.Grain and poultry free because poultry of ANY kind sends her system in attack mode. She is currently 9 years old,and my husband and i found out here recently she has a grade 2 heart murmur. She never showed symptoms of a problem,but now,i want to go back and research this
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2018 2:26:52 AM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

When I first heard of this they mentioned that Goldens were dying of Cardio and they targeted the grain free diets. Funny thing is Goldens were dying of Cardio 20+ years ago, way before grain free.

I fed raw for several years but one of my dogs is allergic to most meats (she was almost bald everywhere) and I am one to not want to feed this dog different from the others so my option was fish.

Now, I personally despise eating anything that lives in the water so raw fish was a no go for me but I found a salmon based dog food I liked (and it has a lower fish odor than some of the fish based ones do).
The company had an issue with the manufacturer a year or so ago which caused weird side effects like dogs eating dirt or losing coat and condition (I am talking fit Flyball dogs) and I ( and most of our team )switched to a different brand of Salmon based food and have had no issues. It does have some grain but I would have to check the next bag I get to see what kind. My 7 dogs all are doing well on it though.

I am not sure about Australia's Hills brand food but here in the US I don't know of a single person that would feed that to their dogs and puppies.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/22/2018 11:58:58 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Dalkeith, what are the symptoms of cardiomyopathy?
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2018 5:08:17 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

posted by Steph
When I first heard of this they mentioned that Goldens were dying of Cardio and they targeted the grain free diets. Funny thing is Goldens were dying of Cardio 20+ years ago, way before grain free.

I fed raw for several years but one of my dogs is allergic to most meats (she was almost bald everywhere) and I am one to not want to feed this dog different from the others so my option was fish.

Now, I personally despise eating anything that lives in the water so raw fish was a no go for me but I found a salmon based dog food I liked (and it has a lower fish odor than some of the fish based ones do).
The company had an issue with the manufacturer a year or so ago which caused weird side effects like dogs eating dirt or losing coat and condition (I am talking fit Flyball dogs) and I ( and most of our team )switched to a different brand of Salmon based food and have had no issues. It does have some grain but I would have to check the next bag I get to see what kind. My 7 dogs all are doing well on it though.

I am not sure about Australia's Hills brand food but here in the US I don't know of a single person that would feed that to their dogs and puppies.

From what I read,it is also the same for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Boxers as well.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler