Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : 100 SOP breeds - how to choose what to keep?
 Dark Mirage
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/18/2020 4:26:40 PM reply with quote send message to Dark Mirage Object to Post   

One of my breeds is consistently at 100 SOP... so, those of you in similar situations, how do you decide which pups from a litter to keep? Shot in the dark? Do you have a method of choosing which are better? Keep them all, show then a few times, then pick? Just thought it might be an interesting topic of conversation as more and more breeds reach this level.

kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/19/2020 9:25:05 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I would love any hints as well. I run 3 breeds in one kennel so I can't afford to keep multiples and try showing.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/19/2020 9:27:03 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Luckily once you hit 100, you really don't have to breed as much to stay in the race to the top.

As long as the breed has a healthy population of other kennels, I keep just a few dogs in the breed to show. I breed a litter. Session all of them. Show them all. Keep only the better showing kids to move forward with.

If you are in a breed that's not got a lot of players, you will need to keep more to make sure you have the ability to outcross.

Will

BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/19/2020 9:31:44 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by kiroja
I would love any hints as well. I run 3 breeds in one kennel so I can't afford to keep multiples and try showing.
Kiroja,

Honestly, It's going to be hard for you to maintain all three breeds as well as you might like.

In GSD, your kennel looks like the lifeline for a lot of the other breeders.

In Basenjis & Minis, it looks like you are the only game in town.

Will
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/19/2020 2:52:20 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Yep, it's rough but I manage. happy :)

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler