Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Handlers & unrealistic predominance
 cafelatte
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
8/6/2020 5:01:26 PM reply with quote send message to cafelatte Object to Post   

I first played this game when it first started years ago. so much fun trying something new. Also I have bred, shown purebred dogs for years since high school and am now a licensed judge. I recently rejoined just because of being quarantined and no dog show activity in real life. I am saddened to see the same issues still exist that caused me to leave years ago. The programming algorithms pertaining to using handlers is just wrong and does not benefit a fair playing field in the game for all owners and kennels. Nothing has improved or changed in regards to this. One handler dominating every breed, group and Best In Show placement is totally unrealistic for so many reasons!! I find it utterly strange that these are the same handlers and judges that have been in the game forever. Don't any retire or die? With all the handlers available to choose from, there should (and needs to be) a more diverse use/win ratio in the game. The list of preferred handlers to any particular judge is not really relevant and useful when a handler(for example) listed as maybe #12 is the only handler that wins every placement under a judge for the last 6 shows he judged. Why does this continue to be such a poor aspect to this game play?
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/6/2020 5:26:21 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

It's just one of many issues. We just keep hanging in there because we can't imagine being without it. I also used to show (Afghan Hounds) and miss it terribly, this is the best substitute I have found.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2020 7:59:13 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I'll admit at one point that bothered me as well.

Here's the thing - go try and find another game similar to this one that is as realistic in all the other aspects as this one is.
There's nothing out there. There are about 4 dog showing games - this one has always been my favorite and in my opinion the most realistic.

I dealt with my problem with the handlers/judges by changing how I thought about them. This is a game and the judge you choose when you pick which show to put your dog in affects his/her chance of winning - just like the handler you choose affects the dogs chance of winning.

It's a game - not real life - look at it as strategy and part of what you need to know to win.

Same thing as dog's "parts" aren't assigned a numerical value in real life and in real life we don't breed toward a 100.0 SOP

If it were me creating the game - the different confirmation components would show to us as Poor - Average - Good - Very Good - (although they'd probably be numeric in the back ground)

That would get rid of the problem of hitting "perfection" - because you never would - or you very rarely would.

(Any coders out there who want to put together a game? I'm dreaming of dynamic images for breed pics. - and every time AKC gets a new breed so do we.... I'd love to have performance events - international titles)
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/6/2020 10:08:03 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

rhondacline Don't tease me like that. Couldn't we all put together a great game though? I guess for your example, if there were like 10 numbers after the decimal, it would be near impossible to reach 100.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/6/2020 11:39:26 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Great minds think alike!
 Jovileaboxers
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2020 6:10:53 PM reply with quote send message to Jovileaboxers Object to Post

Ditto for me too. I played this game for years, and many of my dogs are still in the all-time top winners in several breeds. But I got burnt out with all the unfairness and Admin's apathy(I still haven't gotten a reply when I wrote them weeks ago).

But like you, I got bored with lack of real-life shows, so decided to come back. Trying some different breeds, along with my original Boxers. Just taking a different viewpoint to it(that admin is probably out enjoying life at our expense) and play with what we've got.

I would love to have the time to help develop a new game, one that is far more realistic per the breeds(no impossibly ridiculous colors for one, like "Honey" Bostons).
 cafelatte
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/12/2020 6:10:32 PM reply with quote send message to cafelatte Object to Post

Thanks for the support on this matter. It's sad the administration of this site will not address the tilted RNG of this one factor of the game. after all these years and the obvious support it has, you would think by now they would address this glaring negative issue of the game programming. maybe someday......
 Marquetry
Basic User

Basic User
8/13/2020 11:22:28 PM reply with quote send message to Marquetry Object to Post

The problem was addressed, somewhat, a number of years ago by adding different types of judges, including owner-handler. Back in the old days, all the judges were handler-driven, to varying degrees. So it could be worse. happy :)

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class