Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Grooming chair?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
10/18/2020 4:34:35 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post   

Well I've just wasted most of the afternoon searching office chairs and similar contraptions. My dogs need baths and haircuts and, to be honest just a bit of actual maintenance grooming.

Anyway, grooming these guys can take a while and I'm getting on, sigh. Some areas need to be done low (me sitting), others higher (standing - did I mention that I am somewhat vertically challenged?).

Anyway, sitting here contemplating this task, it occurred to me that what I needed was an electric chair that would go up and down at the push of a button. It would actually be dual purpose as I face similar issues when sculpting large items.

Anyone with any experience/knowledge of such an item? I've used the hydraulic chairs and they are fine for a set-it-and-forget-it situation but I would need to go up and down over and over with a fairly precise adjustment. I'm also not sure they have the range to be ideal.

Just thinking about how to make these jobs easier and more efficient . . .
 Carolyn
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/19/2020 6:08:38 PM reply with quote send message to Carolyn Object to Post

Is a hydraulic grooming table out of your price range?
We don't have one but groomer friends of ours do and it is great!

My 2 breeds IRL are Newfoundland Dogs and Standard Wirehaired Dachshunds so you can imagine the height difference I would potentially need! As luck would have it, well not lucky show wise, our current Newf, a BIG boy, didnt drop his chest so.....no shows for him ergo, no show grooming needed. He goes to my groomer friend who has the hydraulic table.

Our Dachshunds are hand stripped (by my daughter) and are done in her lap, or mine. Table work at shows, luckily, can be mostly done sitting in a folding camp chair.

Good luck with your chair search,
Carolyn
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2020 10:42:55 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Hi. Thanks.

I have looked at the hydraulic tables and they would likely work although they are a bit pricey.

The biggest thing is that my grooming chair has a double life as a sculpting chair where I have much the same needs, but perhaps even more frequent ups and downs. I'd have to get two tables!

(How do the dogs react to the elevator effect?)

I thought an electric thing with a small reversing motor might be more durable than the gas cylinder in a regular office chair. I'm not sure the range would be adequate to. I'm thinking of looking into a drafting chair. They appear to be higher but I'm not sure they have the lower end range that I would need.

I'm not sure how the electric idea might work, if it's viable or not but I thought I'd put the question out.

This is what I am talking about with sculpting:
www.gaylanstudio.com/TestImage/img042.jpg
I've been pretty inactive with this over the past few years and thinking I'd get back into it. (I did do a Newf and Long & Smooth Dachshund - lol. I did a wire too but that was further back.)

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 10/21/2020 10:52:22 AM
 Killick
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/22/2020 5:44:42 AM reply with quote send message to Killick Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Oh! Beautiful!

Our Newfs havenot been fond of the elevator effect. LOL
Grooming is hard on the back and neck for sure.

I hope you find a chair solution.
C

-----
Last edited by Killick on 10/22/2020 5:45:23 AM
 kindeloniel
Basic User

Basic User
12/23/2020 10:36:28 AM reply with quote send message to kindeloniel Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

What do you think about a chain dog collar? I found interesting review [url]https://pawsnose.com/best-chain-dog-collar[/url]

-----
Last edited by kindeloniel on 12/26/2020 6:25:53 AM

-----
Last edited by kindeloniel on 12/26/2020 6:26:45 AM
 Carolyn
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/23/2020 1:14:56 PM reply with quote send message to Carolyn Object to Post

How is this relevant in a discussion of a comfortable chair to sit in whilst grooming your dogs?

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.