.com Forum · UK Forum

Replies in this thread : 29
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : British terms and phrases
 Sunnyside
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/11/2007 10:20:50 PM reply with quote send message to Sunnyside Object to Post   

hey! I was wondering if any of y'all could help me with some tips on British terms or phrases. I'm an American and this weekend I will be helping out with a project that is teaching kids about different countries. I'm assisting in section on England and I would really appreciate the the help. happy :)

Sunnyside
 Deep Water Wheatens
Basic User

Basic User
4/11/2007 11:19:30 PM reply with quote send message to Deep Water Wheatens Object to Post

My advice would be to watch a lot of British TV shows before the weekend. Doctor Who, Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances, The Thin Blue Line, Red Dwarf, and Blackadder are some of my favorites. You can find plenty of clips on Youtube, of course. You'll pick up a lot of jargon that way. happy :)
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2007 3:54:40 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

I know Robin Hood is on BBC America...

laugh :D Cause he's rather hot :P

Yeaaaah otherwise I agree with the above.
 ~*ToyFoxTerrier*~
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2007 3:56:15 AM reply with quote send message to ~*ToyFoxTerrier*~ Object to Post

sos the doctor, phew!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3
 Cleary Farm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2007 5:10:45 AM reply with quote send message to Cleary Farm Kennels Object to Post

Well, here is some typical stuff -

Loo - Toilet
Dog & Bone - Telephone
Mobile - Cell Phone
Butty - Sandwich
Bap - Bacon Barmcake
Moop - Muppet

Different places in England have their own slang, but they are the only ones I can think of at the moment!

Lauren of CFK
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2007 5:57:01 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

Eeerm yeah and just remembering there are differences in words between America and UK.

Just in case you forgot, Im sure you haven't but heres some anyway;

American Phrase - English

Truck - Lorry
Band Aid - Plaster
Popcicle - Lolly
Couch - Sofa
 Cleary Farm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2007 7:11:20 AM reply with quote send message to Cleary Farm Kennels Object to Post

posted by Kliazma
Eeerm yeah and just remembering there are differences in words between America and UK.

Truck - Lorry
Band Aid - Plaster
Popcicle - Lolly
Couch - Sofa

No one says 'Band aid'! Infact 'Band aid' is a charity event!

Lauren of CFK
 Sunnyside
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2007 10:07:10 PM reply with quote send message to Sunnyside Object to Post

Ok. thanks a lot for your help. I went online to look for some things and they said that y'all call dessert "afters, cookies "biscits", and hungary "peckish". are these terms correct? Agian thanks for the help. happy :)
 Cleary Farm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 1:54:51 AM reply with quote send message to Cleary Farm Kennels Object to Post

posted by Sunnyside
Ok. thanks a lot for your help. I went online to look for some things and they said that y'all call dessert "afters, cookies "biscits", and hungary "peckish". are these terms correct? Agian thanks for the help. happy :)
Yeah!

Breakfast - Brekkie
Macdonalds - MaciD'z

Lauren of CFK
 jaydee16
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 2:01:38 AM reply with quote send message to jaydee16 Object to Post

And by the way.
Fries are chips
and chips are crisps!!
 Diamonte Kate Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 2:11:55 AM reply with quote send message to Diamonte Kate Kennels Object to Post

posted by jaydee16
And by the way.
Fries are chips
and chips are crisps!!

I call Crisps - Crisps :O

I think that depends on where you are in the UK!!!

Lauren of -Dkk-
 JSK
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 2:35:13 AM reply with quote send message to JSK Object to Post

Lauren of CFK
LOL isn't it strange how things are different in every country, the whole no one says bandaid, "down under in oz" (I love it how everyone says that australia is down under), a bandaid is just that, if you want a plaster then you need to break a bone first as a plaster is the hard white stuff they put on your arm/ leg when you break it.

A cell here is what they put prisoners in, we call it a mobile just like they do in the UK. A lot of things are called the same here as the UK, not surprising though as years and years ago we were run by britain.

And someone said that a popsicle was a lolly, wrong a popsicle is a fancy name for an iceblock.

Good luck for the weekend!

Tammy
 alfadais
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 3:33:50 AM reply with quote send message to alfadais Object to Post

Yeah Cookies we call Biscuits
and what you call Biscuits we call Bread Rolls,

I had a girl from Southern California stay with me and she asked for a biscuit with dinner and we were like what ??? Thinking she wanted a cookie !!! LOL !!

This will make you laugh, when i was in CA on a student exchange my friends mom said to me in front of a few people 'You have such a cute Fanny' and i nearly died !!!! (I was only 15)
It doesn't mean Butt over here it means...well the other........You should have seen the shock on my face !!!

Diamonte Kate Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 3:44:07 AM reply with quote send message to Diamonte Kate Kennels Object to Post

posted by alfadais
Yeah Cookies we call Biscuits
and what you call Biscuits we call Bread Rolls,

I had a girl from Southern California stay with me and she asked for a biscuit with dinner and we were like what ??? Thinking she wanted a cookie !!! LOL !!

This will make you laugh, when i was in CA on a student exchange my friends mom said to me in front of a few people 'You have such a cute Fanny' and i nearly died !!!! (I was only 15)
It doesn't mean Butt over here it means...well the other........You should have seen the shock on my face !!!

What does it mean over there!?

Lauren of CFK
 alfadais
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 4:09:57 AM reply with quote send message to alfadais Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Ummm I can't think of a nice way of putting it lol ! Its your Vagina.You can imagine how emabarrassed i was !
 Sorrill Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 4:48:24 AM reply with quote send message to Sorrill Kennels Object to Post

Here's a few happy :)

Sidewalk - pavement
Elevator - lift
Diaper - Nappy
Pants - Trousers

SK
 Diamonte Kate Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 7:33:24 AM reply with quote send message to Diamonte Kate Kennels Object to Post

posted by alfadais
Ummm I can't think of a nice way of putting it lol ! Its your Vagina.You can imagine how emabarrassed i was !
Thats what I know it as! I am asking you what her mum said it as!!!!!!

Lauren of -Dkk-
 alfadais
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2007 7:46:14 AM reply with quote send message to alfadais Object to Post

A Fanny !!! She was talking about my Butt !
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
4/14/2007 5:31:52 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

posted by Cleary Farm Kennels
posted by Kliazma

Truck - Lorry
Band Aid - Plaster
Popcicle - Lolly
Couch - Sofa

Lauren of CFK

People do call plasters bandaids.

Cleary Farm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/14/2007 5:55:55 AM reply with quote send message to Cleary Farm Kennels Object to Post

posted by Kliazma
posted by Cleary Farm Kennels
posted by Kliazma

Truck - Lorry
Band Aid - Plaster
Popcicle - Lolly
Couch - Sofa

Lauren of CFK

People do call plasters bandaids.

Yes, but not in England!
 cedarcreek
Basic User

Basic User
4/14/2007 5:30:25 PM reply with quote send message to cedarcreek Object to Post

posted by JSK

Lauren of CFK
LOL isn't it strange how things are different in every country, the whole no one says bandaid, "down under in oz" (I love it how everyone says that australia is down under), a bandaid is just that, if you want a plaster then you need to break a bone first as a plaster is the hard white stuff they put on your arm/ leg when you break it.

A cell here is what they put prisoners in, we call it a mobile just like they do in the UK. A lot of things are called the same here as the UK, not surprising though as years and years ago we were run by britain.

And someone said that a popsicle was a lolly, wrong a popsicle is a fancy name for an iceblock.

Good luck for the weekend!

Tammy
LOL! Britain and the UK are the same country, just different names.

Replies in this thread : 29
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.