Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Reviving Wolfhound Colors
 LMF Kennels
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
6/22/2022 5:25:04 PM reply with quote send message to LMF Kennels Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Brindle and cream have taken over, so somewhere in my overactive imagination I've tasked myself with bringing back more colors for the Irish Wolfhound breed.

I've managed to breed low SOP pups out in a whole slew of colors...

[See: Gray & Brindle; Wheaten & Brindle; Gray; Blue Brindle; White; Wheaten; Gray Wheaten & Brindle; Red & Brindle; Silver; Blue Fawn; Red; Wheaten; Gray Wheaten; Red Wheaten]

Of course, I'm FHing the lowest SOP pups BUT would love tips on how to best optimize what I've got. Should I focus on a handful of colors? What's the best way for me to continue to raise SOP?

For those in the breed, any particular colors you'd like me to focus on?

While I enjoy showing (and used to play constantly when I was younger), I'm enjoying this side of things now and would love to help out the color pool.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions welcome happy :)

-----
Last edited by LMF Kennels on 6/22/2022 5:25:31 PM
 ReginaKennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/22/2022 7:02:06 PM reply with quote send message to ReginaKennels Object to Post

Hello! So excited to have someone else working on Irish wolfhound genetics. I am currently trying to work on getting wheatens, red wheatens, and blacks up to par with the current SOP brindle and creams. I have done a lot of color work in other kennels and I can honestly say this site is the best resource I was given to help me understand genetics/color traits
www.doggenetics.co.uk/
Ask me anytime if you have color breed questions I can attempt to figure them out. My best strategy so far with color breeding is to breed recessive dogs with dogs that will let it carry the gene that’s current sop, then breed those offspring to get the recessive to show again. Then repeat. With dominant genes it’s way easier you can just breed up (as with black coat IW). But I do think Irish wolfhounds are one of the most complicated color genes I’ve worked with so far so good luck!

-----
Last edited by ReginaKennels on 6/22/2022 7:19:23 PM
 LMF Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/23/2022 10:52:51 AM reply with quote send message to LMF Kennels Object to Post

Thank you so much!! The resource you shared is already so helpful. I do think that I'll proceed with the recessive/carrier method to see if I can't start getting a higher increase in SOP. It's quite the labor of love, but hoping we get there eventually.
 Fenian Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/23/2022 12:26:20 PM reply with quote send message to Fenian Kennel Object to Post

I am also working on colours, but I just started so my sops are not that high. Going to focus on blacks, reds, wheatens and red wheatens.

Éamon
 ReginaKennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/23/2022 1:48:13 PM reply with quote send message to ReginaKennels Object to Post

If either of you ever see a stud of mine that you want to use that’s not up just let me know. I try to remember to put them all up at 30 days but sometimes I forget!
 Race Point
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/24/2022 10:17:07 AM reply with quote send message to Race Point Object to Post

I would love to help in any way I can!
 ReginaKennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/24/2022 11:16:08 AM reply with quote send message to ReginaKennels Object to Post

posted by Race Point
I would love to help in any way I can!
If you would be interested in joining Irish Wolfhounds I would be happy to give you a female to help get started, I have one that I currently wouldn’t mind parting with. There are plenty of nice boys for sale but I think no females atm.
Just let me know if you are interested!
 ReginaKennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/10/2022 9:52:39 PM reply with quote send message to ReginaKennels Object to Post

Just wanted to give an FYI to the fellow Irish wolfhound color breeders that I will be breeding my red/red wheaten/wheaten color breeding dogs when they turn 30 in a day or so, I will put the males up for stud for others to use. They are currently 75-80ish SOP. After the litters are born I will likely have a couple of the parents and pups for sale too if anyone else wants a go with them.
Just wanted to let y’all know so if anyone is interested they can keep an eye out!
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/30/2022 8:47:42 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

-----
Last edited by Dreisaiah Hundehutte on 7/30/2022 8:48:08 PM

Replies in this thread : 8

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.