Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Brand new user, never here before...HELP
 Prophets Dream Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
4/19/2024 9:39:06 AM reply with quote send message to Prophets Dream Kennel Object to Post   

Hello fam,

I am a brand new user, I never knew this game existed and stubbled upon it yesterday. I have got my started dogs and have been trying to find information about how to get around and do things. All tips and trick would be greatly appreciated for guidance.

So far, I have managed how to breed, show and find my way around my account. I don't understand the show result system and what shows to actually enter my dogs into. I have Tevs, Sheepdogs, Borzois and a Collie. I want to keep these four breeds to work with until I get the hang of everything.

Also a bit about me, I have a Tev so it is only reasonable to have some in the game. My boy is named Fennick and I will be adding him in if there is a puppy in my litter that is his coloration. I have been following poodle breeders on Instagram but that's not nearly as cool as owning your own kennel here. I am a dog lover and have been since I was a baby, blame my parents for it tbh.

Okay I think that is the most I can manage to get out of my noggin for questions right now, I will post more question sin the comments as I ask.

Thank you!
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2024 1:06:18 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Welcome! There is a pretty steep learning curve here but it is completely addictive. I joined in early 2008 or was it 2007? It is much easier if you have real life dog show experience but there are some very good teaching posts on here. Maybe one of the authors of those can find them and repost them, it's been a while.

Do not hesitate to ask anything, we are pretty friendly and always happy to have new players.

Oh, and be prepared to get very emotionally attached to these dogs. I have cried over more than one.

I know...

Fay,
Tarot (Afghan Hounds)

My other kennels
Aldeberan
DoggyPanache
Fingerprint
Xizang
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2024 1:41:23 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

I think you may benefit from reading these threads:

https://www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=391848

https://www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=471707

Whatever they don't answer, we're happy to answer for you.

Welcome to SD! It's a great game, lots to do especially if you dabble in several breeds happy :)
 Prophets Dream Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2024 4:10:27 PM reply with quote send message to Prophets Dream Kennel Object to Post

posted by Tarot
Welcome! There is a pretty steep learning curve here but it is completely addictive. I joined in early 2008 or was it 2007? It is much easier if you have real life dog show experience but there are some very good teaching posts on here. Maybe one of the authors of those can find them and repost them, it's been a while.

Thank you for the welcome, I have been looking at all of the dogs on the Top Dog list and had no clue what everything meant until now. I also was looking at your pups that were in the for sale category. I was debating on adding afghans but I think I will do that after I get myself together and some stability under me. I am excited to get started and I hope I don't make y'all cringe with my learning curve.

Prophets Kennel
 Prophets Dream Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2024 4:18:42 PM reply with quote send message to Prophets Dream Kennel Object to Post

posted by Comet Poodles

Whatever they don't answer, we're happy to answer for you.

Welcome to SD! It's a great game, lots to do especially if you dabble in several breeds happy :)

Thank you! I read the one about showing, I know I am rushing the portion and skipping the fact that I am just trying to get some experimenting done. I will ask those question when I get to them. My now main thing is trying to find a few good Tervs and Sheepdogs to bring into my kennel system.

Prophets Kennel
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2024 5:18:08 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Welcome to the game.

We love newbies and fall all over ourselves to help. laugh :D

Carol
Rossett Spaniels - Welsh Springers
Caulfeilds Kennels- Source breeding kennel
( don’t even attempt true Source breeding unless you want to be here for another 20 years. laugh :D
 Prophets Dream Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2024 7:03:50 PM reply with quote send message to Prophets Dream Kennel Object to Post

posted by Clwyd Cockers
Welcome to the game.

We love newbies and fall all over ourselves to help. laugh :D

Carol
Rossett Spaniels - Welsh Springers
Caulfeilds Kennels- Source breeding kennel
( don’t even attempt true Source breeding unless you want to be here for another 20 years. laugh :D

oops....started but I got some actual bloodlines to work with.

Prophet Kennels
 FlyingHigh Champions
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2024 8:45:41 PM reply with quote send message to FlyingHigh Champions Object to Post

I can give you a couple of current Belgians to get you started. Also have studs if you want to breed to "starters".

Welcome!
 FlyingHigh Champions
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/19/2024 8:47:13 PM reply with quote send message to FlyingHigh Champions Object to Post

I can give you a couple of current Belgians to get you started. Also have studs if you want to breed your "starters".

Welcome!
 Prophets Dream Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/20/2024 12:57:39 AM reply with quote send message to Prophets Dream Kennel Object to Post

posted by FlyingHigh Champions
I can give you a couple of current Belgians to get you started. Also have studs if you want to breed your "starters".

Welcome!

That would be amazing! I have plenty of room right now, i just got my dogs all signed up for shows so I am figuring out that portion.

Prophet Kennels
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/20/2024 9:33:00 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

If you want to do well in the shows, get rid of those Starter dogs.
They will hold you back.

If you are going to get some current, showable dogs, concentrate on them.

My opinion only.

Carol.

HodgePodge of Dogs
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/21/2024 2:24:16 PM reply with quote send message to HodgePodge of Dogs Object to Post

HI

Welcome to the game! Its very addictive I started with one kennel back in 2006, Currently I'm up to 9 kennels and I have also "puppy sat when folks were going to AFK for an long period and looked after theirs.

Now 18 years later I'm a retired lady, haven't shown in the real world for aa long time and have way too much time on my hands.

Linda

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.