Search

.com Forum · UK Forum

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : BBC may axe crufts over health fear.
 bryerwood kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
8/19/2008 9:24:49 AM reply with quote send message to bryerwood kennel Object to Post   

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1575479.ece

PEDIGREE Dogs Exposed is on BBC1 tonight at 9pm.
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2008 2:48:42 PM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

I think The Sun is just being sensationalist as usual. It would be financial suicide for The Kennel Club to axe either Crufts or the BBC coverage.
 bryerwood kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/19/2008 4:09:55 PM reply with quote send message to bryerwood kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Ewww i didn't realise the problems that pedigree dogs had. Sure, i knew that breeds suffered certain diseases but i didn't realise just how severe the problems were or how inter bred pedigree dogs were.
 tomcat1
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2008 4:26:48 PM reply with quote send message to tomcat1 Object to Post

posted by bryerwood kennel
Did you know that rhodesian ridgeback puppies that are born without a ridge are euthanised just because they do not meet the KC standard
Re-read your sentence. You blame the KC for people who euthanise puppies that don't fit the standard, but where in the standard does the KC force people to do it? There is no reason why ridgeless ridgies can't become pets. Direct your anger at the breeders that do this, rather then the KC standard. The breed, after all is a ridgeback wink ;)
 Evil Intentions
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2008 4:34:35 PM reply with quote send message to Evil Intentions Object to Post

Sounds like the UK version of PETA put this documentary together. wink ;) And it sounds as if their scare tactics and bullying are working.

~Morgan
 bryerwood kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/19/2008 4:40:09 PM reply with quote send message to bryerwood kennel Object to Post

yeah, ok i'm sorry i guess i'm just sooo angry at breeders that think its ok to euthanise a perfectly healthy puppy just because it doesn't have a ridge. They don't even bother to try to place the puppies in pet homes, I'm so happy that there are some breeders that will try to place puppies in pet homes.
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 2:47:24 AM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

posted by tomcat1

Direct your anger at the breeders that do this, rather then the KC standard. The breed, after all is a ridgeback wink ;)

The Kennel Club own the breed standard of every breed in UK. Also as the secretary of one of the Ridgeback Clubs pointed out, The Kennel Club approve the codes of ethics of all breed clubs.
The Kennel Club is supposed to be the guardian of pedigree dogs and must take some responsibility.

Ronnie Irvine could have gained a lot of credibility if he had agreed to the interviewer's suggestion that The Kennel Club should not register mother/son, father/daughter and sister/brother matings. Even if he had agreed to it some unscrupulous breeders (including some KC Accredited Breeders) would just falsify their documents.
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 5:54:41 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

posted by Evil Intentions
Sounds like the UK version of PETA put this documentary together. wink ;) And it sounds as if their scare tactics and bullying are working.

~Morgan

Completly agree.

The KC can't be blamed IMO, they even realesed a statment,

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1976/23/5/3

Madz
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 8:28:39 AM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

posted by Kliazma
The KC can't be blamed IMO, they even realesed a statment,
www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1976/23/5/3
Madz
As I have already said The Kennel Club will register offspring of parent-child and sibling matings. They have to take some responsibility. They make the rules.
 angus my golden retriver
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 9:16:11 AM reply with quote send message to angus my golden retriver Object to Post

I watched this last night it did really highlight how bad some problems in dogs can be. But it isn't all breeders fault in that program it didnt mention puppy farmers they also contribute to unhealthy dogs.

AMGR
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 9:26:21 AM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

Sadly it is no longer just the puppy farmers that are turning out dogs with health problems.
Many years ago breeders always followed a line breeding with an outcross. These days most breeders inbreed every generation.
Aunt-nephew and uncle-niece matings are commonplace. IMO this is too close for one generation but when it is happening over several generations recessive genes are guaranteed to surface.
I inadvertently bought a bitch with a COI of 27. By mating her to the furthest outcross I could I reduced her daughter's COI to 10. I am now waiting to see if this bitch is in whelp to another outcross. I have reached the conclusion that if I want health to be a priority over winning then I have to breed my own.
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 10:03:07 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

posted by Wicken Fen Kennels
As I have already said The Kennel Club will register offspring of parent-child and sibling matings. They have to take some responsibility. They make the rules.

Yeah, but equally so they can't be blamed for #1, what breeders chose to do, and #2 many of the other problems raised.

People are ripping dog breeding, and yes, some of what happens is wrong, but it is the minority, and it happens in many animals. Purebred cats, especially persians have encountered similar problems due to inbreeding and wanting the squashed face, horses - I've been involved in horses for yonks now and I know for a fact the breeding history of Fallabellas is extremly similar.

I think it's so unfair for breeders to have this thrown at us though. 98% of us are fair, humane and love our dogs. I only ever bred dogs who have low hipscores etc and everyone I've ever met on the showing circuit do the same. Some obviously don't, but only a few.

Madz
 Starlit Diamonds Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 11:04:06 AM reply with quote send message to Starlit Diamonds Kennels Object to Post

posted by tomcat1
Did you know that rhodesian ridgeback puppies that are born without a ridge are euthanised just because they do not meet the KC standard
Re-read your sentence. You blame the KC for people who euthanise puppies that don't fit the standard, but where in the standard does the KC force people to do it? There is no reason why ridgeless ridgies can't become pets. Direct your anger at the breeders that do this, rather then the KC standard. The breed, after all is a ridgeback wink ;)

If you watched the program it says that in the breed standard book it says in black and white that puppies that don't have a ridge should be culled.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 11:43:15 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

posted by Starlit Diamonds Kennels
posted by tomcat1

If you watched the program it says that in the breed standard book it says in black and white that puppies that don't have a ridge should be culled.

I thought it said that the culling thing was on the breeds club website not the standerd?
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2008 11:47:09 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I realy like watching Crufts.

I think that some breeders need to take a good look at how they breed, allthough i do think there are a lot of good breeders out there its just theat the program only seemed to phocous on the bad bits.
 angus my golden retriver
Basic User

Basic User
9/9/2008 1:06:19 PM reply with quote send message to angus my golden retriver Object to Post

To be honest I doubt that the bbc will stop showing crufts on the tv. The amount of ratings and money it recives they just wouldn't do it.

AMGR
 Beautifulbitches
Basic User

Basic User
9/9/2008 7:03:53 PM reply with quote send message to Beautifulbitches Object to Post

Um will someone correct me if I'm wrong but if you look at the slideshow they have. Isn't the bulldog from picture #2 and the English bulldog #3 completely different breeds? I thought the old english bulldog (pict #2) was extinct. Or is the pict #2 actually an english bulldog? I have no clue so i'm asking.
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/10/2008 2:35:28 AM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

posted by angus my golden retriver
To be honest I doubt that the bbc will stop showing crufts on the tv. The amount of ratings and money it recives they just wouldn't do it.

AMGR

As I understand it The BBC are one year into a three year contract with the KC. I would imagine that it would cost either side a lot of money to back out of the contract so Crufts should be on BBC2 in 2009 and 2010.
Whether either party will enter into another contract remains to be seen. Maybe a commercial channel will want it in the hope of getting dog food companies to advertise in the commercial breaks.

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.