.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 27
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2009 12:01:33 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

With all due respect, I would never send a dog that has unknown issues and that causes that much damage to live with someone else. The problem is heightened, in my opinion, by his apparent breed. We can't save them all and in some cases I don't see the point in even trying.

She picked up the dog and made it her responsibility. If she can't fulfill her responsibility, then she should not expect someone else to come along and take up that responsibility--especially considering the time and expense that comes with "fixing" him. If he were a toy poodle and could be contained in a wire crate, that would be one thing, but I seriously doubt that even a wire crate could hold that particular dog if he was in truth that anxious. (I'm loath to put him under the separation anxiety umbrella, to be honest, since it's the fashionable diagnosis for problem dogs.)

As I said, I know I'll take heat on this one, but you have to be fair to the dog and to the people involved in the equation. If there are no results from attempts to find his owners, then I think that euthanasia is the best solution.
 Silver
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2009 12:22:28 PM reply with quote send message to Silver Object to Post

I have to agree with Loup here. Any dog that is causing that degree of damage in your absence is obviously not a happy animal, and you will not be able to find someone who is willing to take on a dog with that much baggage.

I am sorry for the dog and everyone involved but I feel (keeping in mind I do not know the dog nor did I see the damage) that it would be in everyone's best interests if the dog was humanely PTS.

Jess
 CRG Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2009 2:17:32 PM reply with quote send message to CRG Kennel Object to Post

I have to agree that the I would put the dog down. If you cant afford to do that yourself than I would turn him in to animal control. You did your good deed and now you will paying a huge toll to fix your home. At least he wont suffer being passed around and possibly running the streets again if you try to rehome him.
I wouldnt take any more chances of him destroying anything else. Not to mention you are supposed to be bringing home a new puppy very soon. You cant possibly trust a stray dog enough to keep him in the same house as a puppy. He obviously cant be contained.

CRG
 Wayward Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2009 5:50:36 PM reply with quote send message to Wayward Kennels Object to Post

posted by LoupGarou
I would never send a dog that has unknown issues and that causes that much damage to live with someone else. The problem is heightened, in my opinion, by his apparent breed.
ALL dogs have unknown issues..... no dog is a robot and they certainly don't have a 'moral' perceptions of expected behaviours.
Lassie come home may have hugely humanised dogs but actually they all have extremely predictable and modifyable behaviour patterns when people understand how.

The fact that many dogs are labelled as having seperation anxiety is because many do. This sounds like it is to me.
The damage sounds comparable to that my first GSP caused 2 weeks after I brought her home. We got through it though.

Good luck with whatever you decide...... if you cannot find some-one to take him on (and I see no issue with you rehoming him personally so long as you are honest about any known problems) then I agree the next best thing is to euthanise quietly after a good day rather than send to a shelter to spend his last days. When I was in the US there was an extremely 'throwaway' and replace attitude towards dogs and from what I read I think there has been little progress.
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2009 7:33:48 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

posted by Wayward Kennels
posted by LoupGarou
I would never send a dog that has unknown issues and that causes that much damage to live with someone else. The problem is heightened, in my opinion, by his apparent breed.
ALL dogs have unknown issues..... no dog is a robot and they certainly don't have a 'moral' perceptions of expected behaviours.
Lassie come home may have hugely humanised dogs but actually they all have extremely predictable and modifyable behaviour patterns when people understand how . . . When I was in the US there was an extremely 'throwaway' and replace attitude towards dogs and from what I read I think there has been little progress.

At no time did I ever say that dogs find a moral component to anything. In fact, if you look at this thread:

www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/54626-study-finally-debunking-dogs.html

you will see that I strongly argue against anthropomorphizing dogs. I do not consider dogs to be disposable; however, I am a pragmatist and in this day and age there is no good future for that dog. It is better to give him one final good day and a respectful end to his life than it is for him to suffer in a shelter while waiting for the same end.

I just have one thing to add: I can agree to disagree with you, since I feel that our opinions do not in truth differ that much from each other's, but I am really and truly sick of your American bashing and respectfully request that you stop it. If you have to attack the person with whom you are having a discussion, you have already failed in your argument.
 Cashmere
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2009 9:56:48 PM reply with quote send message to Cashmere Object to Post

I feel absolutely awful about it, honestly. I really tried to do a good deed. I probably should have just called animal control right when I saw him. I never imagined anything like this would happen. *sigh*
Last night, Rocky slept with me all through the night. He is such a loveable little boy. I called the humane society where I found him, and explained that I found a stray. My boyfriend actually took him there (I couldn't-I'm still upset)
I don't exactly know what is going to happen.. I don't really care to. However, I do know that regardless, he will not be up for adoption for at least a few days because they will wait to see if an owner calls. If that doesn't happen, I assume he will be humanely euthanized.

even through all of his mess, I still loved him. my boyfriend said tonight "its really pathetic that i miss a dog we only had for two days" It seriously brought tears to my eyes. i miss him too. sad :(

here is a picture of my blinds... as you can see, they were destroyed as well as literally ripped from the wall...

sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/26/2009 4:15:08 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Well, I must say, you probably did the right thing. Maybe his "owners" will hear he's at the Humane Society and take him home.

Hugs,
~Sarah~

Replies in this thread : 27
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.