Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Good Ring Bait Recipes (or treats)
 Lucifurz
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/25/2010 6:39:11 AM reply with quote send message to Lucifurz Object to Post   

Hi All,
I was sitting there in the kitchen, minding my own buisness preparing dog bait for our show and go here soon, and I thought that this might be a good place to get recipes, or Favorite types of Bait for he show ring.

Mine is:
Beef liver with a light coating of garlic salt Baked at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Dogs Go Nutso over this!

Salmon - Raw Dehydrated (I bought a dehydrator specifically for dog food/treats)

and last (if I am feeling lazy)
Italian meatballs - prepackaged - cooked in microwave on a paper towel (Draws the grease and oil off)

I dont know if this post has come up before, but as we're really getting into show season in my area if your willing to share I am willing to listen.

Lucifurz

CascadeRanch
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2010 9:12:36 AM reply with quote send message to CascadeRanch Object to Post

Boil beef or pork liver in 6 cups of beef broth with 4 table spoons minced garlic and 6 tablespoons of chicago steak seasoning for 10 mins. Then I put it in the oven and bake at 450'f for 10 mins to dry it out.

The dogs do nuts for it!
 Featherrun
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2010 11:55:11 AM reply with quote send message to Featherrun Object to Post

Those are great! Love liver boiled with garlic salt, then baked...gets the dogs to drink!!!!
Also, string cheese when your in a hurry...it binds my guys up cause they get diarrhea when nervous. And it doesn't fall on the floor.
 Lyllia Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2010 5:25:05 PM reply with quote send message to Lyllia Kennel Object to Post

I like using chicken better... Just because when I put it in my mouth I dont have liver taste in it.. yuck!

Ive also used red barn rolls. I just have to be careful because if its TOO good then my dog goes crazy. haha
 hi-fi
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2010 7:26:25 PM reply with quote send message to hi-fi Object to Post

I guess I'm lucky.... Layne's favorite bait is a little rawhide twist. Easy to hold, stash, and he can chew on it during the exam. He actually goes a little toooo crazy for it though. But lucky for me, he also baits for my empty hand wink ;)
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2010 7:58:47 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

posted by Lyllia Kennel
I like using chicken better... Just because when I put it in my mouth I dont have liver taste in it.. yuck!
I agree. I like using chicken too and my dogs love it! happy :)
 Brewer farm
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2010 8:54:59 PM reply with quote send message to Brewer farm Object to Post

My friend suggested this to me, and I have used it as dog treats. They love it.

Boiled chicken hearts! Sprinkle in some garlic, when they are browned, you cut them up and stick them in the freezer for like a week or two on a cookie sheet.

Apparently this is like home freeze drying. I didnt leave them in long enough the first time, but I have a second batch I am giving a shot.

I dont know if its the best thing, but even just the boiled chicken hearts. MY DOGS LOVE THEM! Its like ultra jackpot!

They smell better then liver cake too lol.
 Fantasias
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2010 11:28:19 PM reply with quote send message to Fantasias Object to Post

I do the same boil-bake liver thing as Feather, have for 20+ years, dogs like it and it's easy to store. Plus I'm not tempted to eat it all in the ringlaugh :D Liver is gross, yucky, but anything to get earslaugh :D

Wendy
 meadow sweet
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2010 11:43:13 PM reply with quote send message to meadow sweet Object to Post

My 2 favorite=my dogs will do anything for are
#1 boiled chicken hearts and gizzards...I boil for abou 15 min. I keep the "broth" for ice treats. cool and slice thin. I like them because they don't smell or fall apart in your pocket. They freeze great.

#2 is chicken bacon and cheese loaf. I have posted the rec before...her it is again. A little labor intensive but if you make a bunch it freezed great.

about 6 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 lb bacon
1/2 to 1 lb cheap parmeasan cheese (fresh NOT IN THE GREEN CAN)

grind everything together raw. Add parsley and touch of garlic powder if your dogs like garlic. press into 9x13 pans. bake at 350 for hour or until done. It is like making a meatloaf. I drain the liquid off in the middle of baking if needed. cool and cut into bag squares to freeze.

When I use it I cut into smaller silces and it is easy to further break into tiny pieces. I usually use it in agility class and it totally freaks people out when I have a piece adn then my dog has a piece.( I only eat it when it is the first night fresh)

both are great treats. I am finding gizzards to be the fovarite....cheap, easy and no smell
 Lucifurz
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2010 1:18:57 AM reply with quote send message to Lucifurz Object to Post

This is great, I'll Have to try the Chicken loaf thing, and definately the others too.

Lucifurz
 Lifeless Spirit Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2010 7:37:22 PM reply with quote send message to Lifeless Spirit Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I actually have a bag of frozen deer livers and hearts that were boiled through and then frozen until i need to thaw them out for use.

My clients who I typically travel with and have bring the bait for their two dogs and my one get beef liver and marinate it in garlic and other dog safe spices and grill it in very thin strips. They all go crazy for that. I don't have the time to fire up the grill before a show myself.

When I'm really in a hurry, cheese or hotdogs, but my girl won't bait for hotdogs.

-Rose-
 SilverHope
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2010 11:29:33 AM reply with quote send message to SilverHope Object to Post

All I use is natural balance roll over. But I rarely have to use bait in the ring, more of a distraction outside the ring then anything. Having an extremely cocky and dog that basically shows herself all I have to do is follow her lol, she does the rest herself.
 Summer Lane Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/29/2010 4:02:06 PM reply with quote send message to Summer Lane Kennels Object to Post

When all else fails, cheese sticks always work for me!

Rachel happy :)
 Chances R Aussies
Basic User

Basic User
2/21/2014 9:15:26 PM reply with quote send message to Chances R Aussies Object to Post

Can someone tell me how to cook chicken breasts for bait please?
 Chances R Aussies
Basic User

Basic User
2/21/2014 9:16:04 PM reply with quote send message to Chances R Aussies Object to Post

I want to cook it in the oven
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
2/24/2014 9:36:55 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

The Costco pre-cooked, lightly seasoned, chopped chicken is a first choice for both my dog and myself (don't mind putting it in my mouth!) for Conformation shows.

For Rally and Agility classes I just buy cheap hot dog weiners, slice them into thin strips, sprinkle with Garlic salt or Hi's Seasoning salt and broil in the toaster oven until dried out (about 20 mins). They freeze really well and just bring out a baggy of them the day of a class happy :)
 tomcat1
Basic User

Basic User
2/26/2014 4:56:50 AM reply with quote send message to tomcat1 Object to Post

I swear by Tuna Fudge

2 six oz. cans tuna. Do not drain. (Alternatively, use canned salmon)
1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp garlic powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 handful grated parmesan cheese, about ¼ cup

DIRECTIONS

Mix all ingredients together using a mixer or food processor.
Spread on to a greased 9×9” pan and bake in 350° oven for 20 minutes.
Store in the refrigerator for up to three days or cut into little squares and freeze for tasty little training treats

It does stink making it, but EVERY dog will eat it.. trust me laugh :D
 sayhiash
Basic User

Basic User
2/8/2017 8:27:08 PM reply with quote send message to sayhiash Object to Post

posted by Lyllia Kennel

Ive also used red barn rolls. I just have to be careful because if its TOO good then my dog goes crazy. haha

What was the reason to put it in your mouth? I have seen it before but never understood why.. to hold it? I just think maybe the handler is hungry too wink ;)

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.