Search

.com Forum · New Layout Discussion

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : able to have as many as you like
 TianaJohn
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/16/2013 1:52:03 AM reply with quote send message to TianaJohn Object to Post   

i think we should be able to have as many as we like if we can afford them if we are a upgraded member like it is on other sites owned by the same people as SD.
 bubby1000
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/16/2013 1:53:59 AM reply with quote send message to bubby1000 Object to Post

i think this would be a really good idea
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/16/2013 2:10:23 AM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

I'll post because I have experience with this.

While I would love to have no limit in dogs, I think there's a few reasons why this shouldn't happen.

1. This could easily promote "super kennels," kennels with a very large amount of stock that "take over" a breed, causing an unfair advantage to those who either choose to have less or don't have enough money or that great of an income to have as many as they want.

I used to be a "super cattery" on Showcats (which does not have a cat limit) and when I quit, the breeds I was in suffered so much they almost went extinct or inactive. People actually messaged me and told me because I was doing "so great" in the breeds, they joined OTHER breeds. They didn't want to be in the breeds I was in because they could easily be taken over in shows, sops, traits, everything.

That said, I believe one of the reasons a limitless number is on SC is because SC is SO unpopular. Very few people are on it and the no-limit encourages people to keep more stock and help the breeds going.

There are actually few breeders who go over 30 cats because ... well, I had about 40 cats and my food bill was $150 daily, not including all the kittens. I picked it down to under 30 and the food bill was still like $110. I've had to unsubscribe my super cattery because I was in too much debt to show or do anything with my top SOPs.

2. I guess this could go either way, but I can see the current situation of popular vs. breeds in dire need of help to go through the roof. That the rare breeds would be even rarer and the popular breeds would be even more popular. This ties into #1. I know with even my active breeding, if I skipped a couple weeks with my Danes, I was already way down on the list and fell far behind in SOP where just had the top SOP. If people had no limit to how much stock they had, that would be 10 pregnancies every week, EASILY time to jump SOP a couple points.

I feel like one of the reasons that you can buy 5 slots maximum at $5 per slot, is so that you can't have a limitless kennel based on how much money you have to spend IRL on Showdog.com. First, SD isn't about how much money you have. That's why it's fantastically inexpensive. You don't need to be rich in order to do well on here.

There's definitely times where I wished there was no limit on here but it would never work.

Now, if rare breed accounts by default were no-limit accounts, I think that would help! Again, it would make it really hard for regular accounts with rare breeds to keep up.

So I don't see it happening. Sorry..
 Europa Black
Basic User

Basic User
11/16/2013 10:06:21 AM reply with quote send message to Europa Black Object to Post

I agree with the above post. It would mean people would have an unfair advantage, particularly if they have a lot of money. It'd be like once one kennel got to the top, it'd be very difficult for another kennel to overcome them. It also means that people would fall into debt more easily because of dog food prices. I can't deny that I've not wanted it in the past, because I have. But I just don't see it ever working.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/16/2013 1:38:12 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I don’t think I would want to see an open unlimited size. ShowHorse also has unlimited numbers and I’m in debt in every single stable (lol). I have letting go issues, I know that.

Nevertheless, I do have times on SD that I really would like to keep a few extra for a specific reason. Now I know I can buy extra space but I don’t want permanent spots! I have 10 kennels and sometimes it’s this kennel that needs room and sometimes it’s another. I’m not inclined to spend $250 to enlarge every kennel by 5 because I’ll just have 35 plus in each and be back to the same situation.

My solution would be some sort of a cost for overflow. There are a couple of ways I can see this working.

One is to use real dollars to expand for 30 days - $5 allows you to keep an extra 5 dogs for 30 days without impacting play – you could still enter shows, breed, etc. You could pay $10 and have 40 dogs for 30 days.

The other way is to use SD dollars - $1 / dog / day for each dog over the limit. You could consider this as “boarding fees” paid to the “Admin” kennel or money paid to hire that teenager down the road to help look after those extra dogs. It would be an additional money management consideration.

The actual amounts can be adjusted, but these are concepts that would work for me.

EDIT:
I can see where there might be issues with the "exceedingly" wealthy (RL or SD) using this as an advantage but perhaps all we would need would be to add some limitations - you would not be able to be over for more than 30 days and you could only up your limit 6 times a year. Perhaps wave these for the "rare" breeds to address those issues. We would still need to stay within budget for food, etc.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 11/16/2013 9:57:17 PM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2013 7:47:38 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I could see having as many dogs as you wanted, but I agree with the above posters. I know, before the new site had dog/pregnancy limits, I was taking advantage of it (feeling a little guilty about it, but not enough to quit). I have a hard enough time staying in black with only thirty dogs. Currently, I'm going between $4000 and $4500, but that's only because I won 2 contests that were $2000 each. Lol, I'm still being a miser.

If I had the money, I would add spaces. Seeing I don't, and am not really sure if I'll be able to stay subbed once this period is up, I just keep on with 30 dogs.

Alexandria
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/19/2013 3:39:03 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

I stand by my post but...

One is to use real dollars to expand for 30 days - $5 allows you to keep an extra 5 dogs for 30 days without impacting play – you could still enter shows, breed, etc. You could pay $10 and have 40 dogs for 30 days.
Let's just say if this were implemented, I would easily take advantage of this. The only problem is the more dogs you have, the more litters you will probably have, equals more dogs you have to FH when your 30 days is up unless you have another $10 kickin around.

Basic User

Basic User
11/19/2013 5:27:04 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Yes, it's getting around the 30 dog limit, but legally. The "Super Kennel" is avoided by placing limits, whatever is deemed appropriate - limit the overflow numbers and/or limit the time allowed to be over.

Yes, for those who have the real dollars to spare, they could take advantage of this to permanently expand but in 5 months they would have spent the same amount as for a permanent 5 spot upgrade, so what's the difference, really.

To make it more fair to the less affluent in RL, I suggested the SD dollar route. If someone is really careful with the money management they too could have the expansion option - it's just an added expense to budget for.

This was intended as a short term thing. For example - I have 3 older girls that I've bred. While I'm waiting for them, I have 6 youngsters that hit 14 days. I can't show any of them because I am now at 32 dogs. I'm going to FH the girls in a few days. Another - I have three young dogs I'd like to breed to see who produces best but I'm at 32 dogs so I can't breed and these are the only dogs that I am considering to FH at the moment. So I expand so I can breed and continue to show. Third example - I just can't decide at the moment but I want to be able to continue showing.

Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/19/2013 5:34:34 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Who are you, mystery user? Gaylanstudio?

I like the idea of it being thru SD currency. More fair than RL money. Some people are really rich on SD too so there would have to be some sort of limit. There should be a limit in any situation, I think.

GaylanStudio9
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/20/2013 10:01:46 AM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio9 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Yep, that was me - timed out.

Another way of limiting the option is an escalating cost - $1/day for the first 3 over, $2/day for the next 3, and so on. You can make it so that it is not economically feasible for long term use. You could then direct the fees to the salary pool so it gets redistributed to everyone equally.

I too prefer the SD funds method.

-----
Last edited by GaylanStudio9 on 11/20/2013 10:06:44 AM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/20/2013 10:08:55 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

I'd go for SD currency. That'd be great.

Alexandria
 Europa Black
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2013 12:15:35 PM reply with quote send message to Europa Black Object to Post

posted by Laffy-Taffy Kennels

Alexandria

I agree! I don't like the idea of brining RL money into it, although it might help those who don't have much money in the game. It might also teach us to balance out our showdog money, because we're not going to put lots into spaces for dogs.
 bubby1000
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/24/2013 7:32:08 AM reply with quote send message to bubby1000 Object to Post

i think it would be great if we could convert some real money in to game money as well like $10 RL= $10000 game money
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
11/26/2013 9:09:30 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Some random points based on the time between layouts when there were no dog limits (yes I took advantage of them).

1) SD currency "boarding fee" isn't much different from just the dog food cost it takes to support more dogs. It tends to drive everyone more into debt but I guess that might help the salary since the wealthy SD kennels might spend their extra cash to keep more dogs.
2) There is a point at which it is no longer beneficial (or minimally) to keep more dogs because of the breeding limit. I think it is roughly 50 dogs, so you have 20 girls >30 days old so you can continuously have 10 pregnancies while having another 25 girls between the ages of 14-30 waiting to reach breeding age (minimizing the time between generations) plus a few males to breed to.

grif,
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
11/26/2013 9:44:55 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by Europa Black

Alexandria

I agree! I don't like the idea of brining RL money into it, although it might help those who don't have much money in the game. It might also teach us to balance out our show dog money, because we're not going to put lots into spaces for dogs.

The only reason I don't really agree with this is because almost everyone would have large amount of money and fees would probably go up as well as possibly show entries. Plus most of us already pay to be a member and some people pay up to 60 dollars a month for the game, that ALREADY has many glitches. Most people are already complaining and saying they may drop kennels or stop playing because the bugs are getting so annoying. Id rather see the bugs get fixed before spending any more extras money into the game.

Maybe if there was a money buying limit, possibly? I just think its the same as the real world, If you just "print" more money, products become more expensive. Plus, would the money only be for premium users? I don't completely disagree with the idea, because I have no money for the same reason everyone else doesn't have any, no group or show placements, and constant dogs to session. Honestly you wont make any money buying showing and placing BiB in most breeds. The same dogs and kennels keep getting BiS so from the exception of about 10 - 15 breeds, showing allows no money, and the addition of being able to buy money would help these kennels out while still being able to show! Right now, I'm not too concerned about this though, I just honestly want the glitches to go away! (:
 Saqr
Basic User

Basic User
11/26/2013 12:18:43 PM reply with quote send message to Saqr Object to Post

Stud fees and dog sales used to be very high! Like $500-1000! For the best lines you'd pay it. Entries were higher, shows bigger. I think more money was floating around because you made money from these things.
Now everything is dirt cheap and you still get nowhere and no money coming in to keep much going on at all.
I think the old costs of fees and dogs worked better for SD economy -- there are ALWAYS the broke.
So if bringing in more money for the game means higher SD costs I am for it LOL.
I think I saw some people requesting sales to drop to $50?! What's next then? $25, then free?
 MagicGlo
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/29/2014 1:32:23 PM reply with quote send message to MagicGlo Object to Post

If I had the money, I would add spaces. Seeing I don't, and am not really sure if I'll be able to stay subbed once this period is up, I just keep on with 30 dogs.
Alexandria

Due to family issues, my family account all went Basic for close to a year. When I got back to the game and got them upgraded, this account was (is) in the red with no dogs so I'm having to start from scratch. The 2 extra kennels I bought when that first came out are still there.

Even if I get in the black, I'm not having that many dogs again in ANY of my kennels as life is taking another drastic change. I'm not sure how I can play SD, TH & Show Rabbits while driving long-haul over the road. When I drove a loooonng time ago, there weren't wifi spots or whatever it is that's needed to get online. Going to be interesting to say the least!
IDLaura

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.