Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Choosing Colours of Starters
 Jumping Jacks of Glory
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/15/2013 3:37:06 PM reply with quote send message to Jumping Jacks of Glory Object to Post   

Not sure if I should be posting this in here or in the Suggestions forum but it relates to source breeding and colour breeding so I figured it would make more sense here. I was thinking that it would be nice if we were able to choose the colour of our starters to make it easier when colour breeding from source dogs. Right now it is difficult to get the colours you need, and I know we can get the colours we want by cross breeding with other dogs but it would be so much easier if we were just able to get what we needed from the get go. Not sure if this idea will fly with Jeff or any of you who read it but just thought I would post it and see how everyone felt about it.

Jamie
 Ordo
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2013 10:40:39 PM reply with quote send message to Ordo Object to Post

I don't see the harm in it. I mean, if they're going to actually let us buy source dogs from them one day - why not allow us to pick the colors as well as the gender and quality?
 Selma Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2013 6:07:20 AM reply with quote send message to Selma Kennel Object to Post

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=378362&recordnum=0

It was spoken of briefly, but I don't think we should be able to pick the colours in my opinion. This game is meant to stimulate real life, and in those cases you don't get a guarantee if the pups colours, unless you match genetics.
Just my two cents!
Mack happy :)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2013 11:51:51 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

posted by Selma Kennel
www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=378362&recordnum=0

It was spoken of briefly, but I don't think we should be able to pick the colours in my opinion. This game is meant to stimulate real life, and in those cases you don't get a guarantee if the pups colours, unless you match genetics.
Just my two cents!
Mack happy :)

This is speaking of starter dogs that are bought though- and in RL you DO get to pick the color of dogs you buy. If I wanted to bring back a color in my breed in RL by buying stock from say, another country and importing, I would definitely be able to choose dogs that were of the desired color for that goal.
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2013 12:18:18 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I agree with Lilliput. You work to find those colors you need, importing and all that.

ETA: I am a color-breeder, and somewhat of a genetics nerdrazz :p. You can breed some colors back, and you never know what are in those source. They might surprise you with recessive traits. But, there are colors you can't breed, you HAVE to have the color to begin with.

Alexandria

-----
Last edited by Laffy-Taffy Kennels on 12/18/2013 12:21:48 PM
 milosci
Basic User

Basic User
1/18/2014 1:03:39 PM reply with quote send message to milosci Object to Post

Maybe as a compromise there could be a random roll of the dice which would spit out a few color options for each dog. It would probably be a two step process. The first step for choosing starters would be the same as it is now. The next step would list out some colors, dependent on the breed, and you could choose based on the options provided to you. The rarity of colors could be a factor in how frequently they show up as an option.

-------------

Example 1:
I make four starter belgian malinois in the usual way. The next page is as follows..

A checklist in which you may check off exactly four colors.

Fawn
Fawn (check)
Fawn with White (check)
Cream (check)
High White Mahogany (check)
Fawn

The four chosen colors would then be assigned to the starter dogs.

--------------

Example 2:
I make 2 starter belgian malinois in the usual way. I then go to my new starter dog's individual page and next to color I find a temporary drop down list with two color options: Fawn, Fawn. No choice for me this time. I select fawn.

I go to my other starter dog's page and find the drop down list: Fawn, Mahogany. I select mahogany.

Just a thought happy :)

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing