Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Color Breeding - Genetics
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/16/2014 11:14:48 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post   

I've started a color breeding source line for GWPs.
I have found the link through the breed for the genetic breakdown of the colors and genes, however I'm unsure of what they actually mean. Hoping someone can help me sort it out.
The gene options are:
B (Black) K (Ticked i think) and S - which im not sure of.
B is dominant (BB, Bb) black, while bb is liver.
K is listed as T, tt is patched, TT and Tt are ticked, and tt is roan/solid/or patched.

This is the big part I'm confused on:
S is expressed also with Sw and Sp or combination. I am unsure as to how these come into play for the patching/ticking/roan etc.

Any help would be awesome!!
www.showdog.com/breeds/genetics.aspx?breed=German+Wirehaired+Pointer

Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
3/16/2014 3:43:46 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

First, I think a gene may be missing from your genetics listing. I'll see if I can't find out for sure- I think you're missing the roan gene- R. In which-
RR or Rr = roan
rr= not roan

For your S question.
S is the locus for white Spotting. (The S is for spotting, more or less)

In your breed there are 3 genes-
S= solid
sp= patches of color
sw= extreme white with only a few patches if any

What might be a bit confusing, is that ticking and roaning both show up ONLY in white spaces.
So a solid colored dog, can have the ticking or roaning gene, but you don't know or see it because he has no white to express it with.

S is most dominant.
SS, Ssp, and Ssw are all solid colored dogs

sp is dominant over sw. spsp and spsw are patched dogs

sw is most recessive. swsw is "and white" dogs.

Ticking is dominant. So TT or Tt are both ticked dogs. tt is a dog who has NO ticking in his white spaces (he's either patched or and white, or solid)

It appears roaning takes precedence over ticking in your naming pattern- so a dog that is TT AND RR is listed as roan, not ticked.

If it makes it easier- any dog with an S will NEVER be ticked or roaned, because they are solid colored. (They may have the genes, but won't show it)

Does that help some? If it doesn't, or you have more questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to explain another way for you. happy :)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
3/16/2014 3:58:17 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Found it! Roan isn't showing on your breed genetics page, but it IS in your code. Here's the original color code for reference- www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=265664
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/16/2014 6:01:50 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

thank you, thank you!!

I had mostly figured it all out but couldn't get past the roan, as color codes were listed twice with two different colors happy :)

I had done searches to try to find the forum you linked to, and couldnt.
so thank you!!

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.