Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Dog Food Help
 Little River Dog
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/30/2016 9:11:11 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Dog Object to Post   

Hi everyone! Long time no speak. If any of yall remember, I adopted a pup a little over a year ago, Bentley. Well when I adopted him, I notice he was breaking out and getting pretty itchy and just unhappy after eating. I took him to the vet, we did an allergy test and find he's got quite the allergy to chicken...of all ingredients...haha. Well I am feeding him Blue Basics Salmon and Potato recipe. But he's just really not seeming to like it anymore.

Does any of yall have any opinions or advice to pass on, on what I should maybe try next?

Here's a little picture of Bent for good measure..

(I adopted him as a beagle mix and now a year later he weighs in around 75 lbs, so maybe no beagle haha)

Thanks!

-Ande @ Little River
 Half Full Black Moon
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2016 11:22:39 AM reply with quote send message to Half Full Black Moon Object to Post

I personally LOVE Fromm. No dog here, just cats, but I feed them the Beef Liváttini Veg formula. My co worker has a dog that has a chicken allergy & she feeds him the Pork and Pea formula.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2016 3:29:48 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Or a really big beagle. Probably some other sort of hound though.

I cook for my guys most of the time - hamburger, chicken, and egg are the basic proteins. Sometimes ground turkey and/or pork and beef or chicken liver. To that I add carrots, green beens, canned tomato and yellow beans as the basic veggies with brocolli/cauliflower as options. For a little bit of fill (and the soak up the cooking juices) brown rice and oatmeal(porridge). Nobody turns their nose up at dinner time here - but then they are cockers (lol).

Maybe with your dog food add a dash of beef broth (I use chicken broth) to improve the taste/smell/texture? Make sure beef isn't also an issue.
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2016 10:42:41 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Molly has a poultry allergy. She is fed Acana, we switch between the Pork and Butternutsquash, Lamb and Okanagan apple and Fish formula. Also raw, just be careful most raw food uses chicken bones as their source of bone (I order all Mollys raw seperatly- meat, organ, and bone and make her complete meal from that - the bone that I get is Bison/Beef/Lamb).

I know a friend who has a lab who is allergic to more things than you can shake a stick at. She feeds Taste of The Wild Pacific formula.

krisk
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2016 10:55:31 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

I'll second the Acana pork... And we also feed and love Zignature Kangaroo.
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2016 11:37:51 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

Open Farm pork and ocean fish have NO poultry byproducts and NO grain. The down side is that it is $100/25 lb bag but my dogs do great on it!!
 Targaryen
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/2/2016 9:44:48 AM reply with quote send message to Targaryen Object to Post

I feed K9 Kravings which is frozen raw, some homemade raw, and occassional Orijen kibble. I like raw since you can completely control ingredients and quality. K9 Kravings is all human grade ingredients and the bone is ground.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing