Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Question about first time breed ring
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/8/2017 1:40:11 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

For those that have bred a litter and sold a show quality puppy to someone who's new to showing in conformation, how have you typically handled that situation? Do you keep co-ownership until they finish the dog's CH title? Do you have them sign some sort of agreement saying they will higher a pro if they are having difficulty finishing the dog themselves (or do you help show the dog if that happens?) How does that work?

I've never shown in breed ring, but I think I would feel like I've let the breeder down if I wasn't able to finish a show quality dog that they've sold me. sad :(
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
3/8/2017 4:45:09 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Stay away from coowns. If the breeder has expectations about how the dog's show career should be handled, make sure EVERYTHING is detailed in the contract.

Always trust your gut. Make sure you deal with someone you trust and have good chemistry.

Will
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
3/8/2017 8:48:32 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If the breeder wants the dog finished that badly, they will pay for it. The conformation title should be for breeding purposes only, so if they intend to "use" the dog in their breeding program, that will be spelled out in any sales contract. A breeding contract will in all likelihood be a co-ownership until the breeding part of the contract is fulfilled and the dog is spayed or neutered. Responsible breeders don't sell intact dogs into "pet homes" and just relinquish ownership.

-----
Last edited by Tizzy Too on 3/8/2017 8:51:10 PM
 Saffyre
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2017 9:48:45 AM reply with quote send message to Saffyre Object to Post

My contract with my co-owner states that I will show my male and once he attains his CH, she will sign full ownership over to me. He was purchased specifically with a show/breeding contract though. My co-owner is an amazing mentor and doesn't micromanage anything. I knew what I was getting into before signing the contract though...
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2017 9:56:18 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

When I started out, my breeder kept co-ownership until he finished him CH, and offered to handle him anytime I needed her to for free. One thing I would suggest, is only sell females to newbies under a co-own because they'll need co-owners signature to register any puppies.
 Skyfall Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/10/2017 11:24:12 PM reply with quote send message to Skyfall Kennels Object to Post

It can go both ways.... My female had a co-owner contract that stated the breeder would get her back if I didn't finish her before 2 so the breeder could finish her. By two years old, she had all of her points minus one major... she never got that major. She was stubborn and would sit down on the down and back or just stopped while running and sat down haha. The breeder could see we tried and that the dog just hated it so much that she'd never finish. She never took the dog back.

My contract, I am a co-owner on all the show puppies because the owners wanted that. I offered to handle the dog if they were at a show i was going to, or wanted to set up a show weekend... I'm completely hands-free though. I only take back the dog if a circumstance arises where they can't have them anymore.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
3/11/2017 12:52:00 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Having been on both sides, I firmly believe that the owner drives the decision to show or not. If the owner does want to show and the dog is competitive, breeder should absolutely be there to assist and ensure the dog is shown to its potential - that could mean the breeder helps owner learn to show, breeder handles, breeder helps owner find a reputable handler. The last thing I want as a breeder is to have an owner struggle in the ring and get frustrated - doesn't reflect well on me as a breeder and the dog won't be happy either.

If the breeder really needs a dog finished, they should be taking control of grooming, showing, costs etc and I would hope that everything is in writing at the time of purchase agreement.

I have had very successful co-ownerships using this methodology (and I have a high maintenance, competitive breed).

Good luck!
Kathy
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/11/2017 11:17:08 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Thanks for all these wonderful responses. It really sounds like most breeders will definitely try to help you out if you need it.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.