Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Handler won't let me see my dog
 IrvineCAGuy
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/27/2017 6:33:16 AM reply with quote send message to IrvineCAGuy Object to Post   

I have a handler taking my dog to shows - he's been doing very well is almost a champion. Now in the 'majors' the handler has taken my dog to his kennel for several weeks to prepare him to 'finish' and won't let me come visit. He says the dog will lose focus, which is probably true as I hid at his last show to watch and my dog did seem to sniff knowing I was there and did not perform well.

So, my question - is it common for handlers to keep dog and owner separate?

And for extended periods of time? (I will be 6 weeks until I see my little guy and it's painful to be separated that long).
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2017 8:28:50 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Are you still receiving pictures of your dog regularly? Has the dog been to a vet to verify it's still in good health? I was never allowed to be ringside while my dog was showing or see him right before the show but I never went 6 weeks without being able to see him at the handlers house.
 Studios
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2017 3:36:28 PM reply with quote send message to Studios Object to Post

In my breed we had a horrible incident happen where a handler did this and the dog ended up running away (did not inform the owner) was so underweight and ended up passing away. I always recommend people to ask for pictures, videos, or if you know which shows your handler is going to ask a person in that breed to visit the handlers set up to see if they brought your dog a long.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2017 4:21:28 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

I would not let a handler keep my dog for 6 weeks and not let me see him/her. Totally understand not being allowed at the show site.

Good luck.
 Dream Castle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2017 5:03:00 PM reply with quote send message to Dream Castle Kennels Object to Post

I can only speak for myself,but if I were in your shoes,I would be a bit angry. 6 weeks is a long time. I would persist I see my dog. There are many awesome handlers out there that are worth their weight in gold,but ultimatly,the owner has the final say. (or owners,in some cases)
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2017 6:51:40 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

6 weeks is FAR too long. A dog does need to "bond" to it's handler, but big operations with the best handlers have very little interaction with dogs at the level your dog is performing at. I would NEVER leave my dog that long at a kennel because their numbers preclude the dog having adequate conditioning required to special a dog unless it is already a group winner. The longest I would ever leave my dog is a week prior to a very big show when I know that the actual person who is going to be handling her is working with her.
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2017 11:52:43 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

It comes down to trust. I would trust my handler with my dogs. In fact Seelie is going with her in June (for a few months). I am sure I will see him in August, but I will go out of my way to avoid setting him off. If you are unsure about it, insist about seeing your dog. Your other option is to have someone you do trust (but who will not draw the reaction from you dog) go and check on your dog for you. In the end it is your dog and you need to do whatever feels right for you.

krisk

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class