Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : A bit frustrated ...
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/9/2019 4:48:41 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post   

We are working now with a new bitch we bought from a breeder who admitted that he wasn't able to properly socialize this litter. We've had her for well over a month (almost two) now and she is 6 months old. She is very skittish around new people. Normally all of our other dogs calm down pretty quickly.
We've taken her to some sort of "puppy play time" that the PetCo offers and the "trainer" lady there only lets her play with the other dogs for 15 minutes because she is too scared (I don't think that she is too scared to be socialized). We've tried food as well but she refuses to touch it. She walks just fine on the leash now when we go places, but she flattens down like a pancake when people pet her.
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting more skittish dogs used to being touched. Heck, last week, we visited several girlscouts just to have them pet her. We take her to TSC and another pet store as well and all of the employees there do a great job and try to all calmly pet her.
I'm just trying to figure out if anyone else has any ideas. I'm doing what we've done with our other dogs and it just doesn't seem to really be working.

Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2019 12:42:48 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Maybe you are overwhelming her. Invite someone over to your place for a puppy play date - familiar territory. Have the visitors, human and canine interact with her. Stay with her - you are her protector. Have the same visitors over several times until she starts to relax with them. Then take her to visit them maybe. Get a second visitor group and introduce them. Invite both groups over. Try not to have big gaps between visits so the interaction becomes routine and maybe keep the first meetings short until she gets more comfortable.

I think it's a mistake to take her and plunk her down in an a strange place with a bunch of strange dogs and or people. Try to pick really calm or even somewhat shier dog pals - one that as scared or more than she is.

Now I admit my puppies have mostly been pretty outgoing. I've read a few articles about shier dogs and dog parks so my answer is somewhat based on these.

Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2019 7:18:02 PM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

Thanks! I guess she is just an oddball. She is fine around the other dogs and things, just doesn't like to be touched by strangers. When new people come to the house, she is all big and tough and tries to act like some big guard dog. We might still try to see if maybe we can do the house dates like you suggested.
We take her out to the "puppy play date" things once a week then take her to other stores throughout the week.
I've just never really had a shy dog like her before. She's just a weird little dog.
 JBJLabradors
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2019 7:58:49 PM reply with quote send message to JBJLabradors Object to Post

Start working at home the reason she won't take treats is she's shut down and your doing more harm then good. Start by inviting someone over get her excited they are there then let them in don't have them touch her just start throwing a special treat she only gets when she meets someone. Have treats outside your door so when the person comes over they walk in toss her a treat them have them sit on the floor and let her approach them not them approaching her. When she comes over she gets more treats when she's doing well at home with different people then take her out without anyone petting. When she's comfortable with just being out then have people approach and treat like you did at home.
 JBJLabradors
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2019 8:01:45 PM reply with quote send message to JBJLabradors Object to Post

If she's acting big and tough at home correct her tell her no or ahh ahh then make her sit quietly till the person comes in and follow my above post. Teach her focus work tell her eyes, focus, look something then when she makes eye contact click or say yes then treat. She needs to see you as in charge and take that responsibility off her and yes I do positive reinforcement training for a living.
 Wordsmith
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/16/2019 10:19:26 PM reply with quote send message to Wordsmith Object to Post

I have had a few softer pups in the past and what I felt helped them the most is building their internal confidence. It sounds like your pup is feeling overwhelmed and out of her safe zone.

You can expand her safe zone by building her self confidence. The best way to do that is to back off (don't stop) just lower your demands for outside interactions. At the same time teach her things she can do on command and be rewarded for. Doing so should build up her "I can do it" attitude. It doesn't really matter what you teach her but some good simple commands include the basics of sit, down, stay, STAND (for showing). Even stupid pet tricks can be great to show her how much she really can do.

Good luck.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.