Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : The Price of Breeding
 Spyte
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/26/2014 3:23:46 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post   

Recent topics have sparked my interest from all of you who breed, or have been involved in breeding (co-breeder, parents were breeders,etc)

What do you factor in when breeding? What are the bare essentials to have done (testing, titles) before breeding? What is needed prior to having a pregnant bitch in the home? Do you have a bank account or just money saved in your home that is just for emergencies when you have a pregnant bitch or puppies? Are you prepared to hand rear a litter?

These are just questions I ask myself when I get a new bitch puppy who will eventually be bred (as long as she turns out, finishes at least a CH title, and passes health clearances as well as a TT test)

I feel this is so important to discuss as breeding is not for the faint of heart and too often people breed and can't handle it when something doesn't go as planned.

I will chime in later with a detailed description of what I feel is necessary and what the price of breeding in our home really is.

Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2014 9:13:13 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

For me if you want to breed a dog it should have all the recommend health testing and you should have the dog proven as being worth breeding, wether that is by its being a good worker or done well in the ring. I don't think a dog has to become a champion first as in the UK it's harder to champ a dog (been told this by many forin exhibitors) many don't champ untill past the age for a first litter and many good dogs don't manage it at all but I do think they should have done well as that's how you find out your dogs good and weak points.

I'm a planning my first litter (got to Waite to see if mating took) and I'm planning on keeping count of every expense just out of curiosity. I don't include showing costs in breeding expensive, I know some do but I see it as a separat activity to breeding. I'm also not counting the cost of health testing with my litter as I did those long before I even planned to breed as I feel pets should be tested as well as breeding dogs. But for this post I'll include the tests.

My costs so far (after mating before pregnancy confirmed)
Eye test = £25 (reduced from £65 as had it done at a special breed testing session for research.)
Hip scoring = £50
X Ray for hip scoring = about £40 (xray was taken while taking x rays to check spine and both back legs all 4 of them pluss the hope scoring fee of £50 came to a total of £120 so they must have discounted some of them as it was ment to be £40 first x Ray and £20 for each one after)
Progesterone testing £45
Petrol traveling to the stud = £100
Petrol traveling back to the stud as I had to leave her there for a week = £100
Bottle of wine as a thank you to stud owner for having me stay for 4 days then leaving my girl there for another 5 days = £12
Whelping box = £20 (went half on building it with friend)
Ultrasound scan to find out if pregnant = will be £50
No mating fee as only had slip mating but would have been £100

So that will be a grant total of £442 before any puppies, but would have been £542 if we had a tie, and if we did have a tie I would have gotten the canine herpes vaccine which is £49.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2014 9:14:01 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

That was me above

If my girl is pregnant and has 5 pups some expected costs off the top of my head include
Stud fee = £850
Food for puppies while with me 2X 15kg bags = £70
More Vet bedding = £30
Wormer = £16
Nutri drops = £18
Dopram V = £16
Whelpi milk replacement = £10
Bottles = £5
Id tattooing = £32
Micro chipping = unsure as not checked yet max of £50 but normaly discount for litters
KC registration = £80
Stuff in puppy pack = £20

C section if needed when friend enquired reasontly £450 for emergency out of hours about £250 during open hours.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 12/26/2014 9:35:54 PM

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 12/26/2014 9:36:35 PM
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2014 9:23:35 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

Thank you for breaking it down! I hope you keep us updated on the cost as your progress through the pregnancy (I hope she took) and as the babies grow!

I totally agree that sometimes finished a champion title on a dog is very difficult and almost unattainable. However, I do feel that a dog should do well in the ring, even if it doesn't receive a CH title.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2014 9:41:07 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Thanks, don't worrie if she did take there will be lots of pics all over the place lol.
I'm not getting my hopes up as we only had slip matings the stud was inexperienced and couldn't quite get it right.

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 12/26/2014 9:43:03 PM
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2014 9:45:41 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Money wise I have an ok amount in my bank which would cover vet bills if anything went wrong like c section, antibiotics ect and I also have a saving account with a few thousand in if needed.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2014 11:20:50 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

This is something I'll be planning in the near future.
Health testing for my breed:
Echocardiogram - $165
Thyroid- $75
Hips & Elbows - $500
Eyes - $35

Stud fees- $800-1200

I also plan to have an X-ray before whelping, $50.

There are several items I believe to need to have on hand, probably $100 for a basic supply.
Puppy shots (for a litter of 8) $200+
Dewormer for pups $100? Haven't priced this

I plan to have at least $1000 on hand for any emergencies
 Featherrun
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2014 7:50:15 PM reply with quote send message to Featherrun Object to Post

Yes, you have to have money for unexpected emergencies. Just the initial things you listed on planning to do with your bitch (showing, health testing, and training) cost a bunch. And then perhaps the heartache of the health tests not turning out as you would like, can be really heartbreaking.
So, more then money, you must LOVE your breed. You must KNOW your breed and honestly be able to evaluate your own stock. I highly recommend waiting until your second dog in the breed, perhaps the third, all the while getting out and showing as many times as possible so you can meet other dogs, get your hands on them, and get a feel for what long established breeders are striving to improve. Remember, you are breeding to improve, not just have puppies. It takes time to figure all of that out. If you are lucky, the bitch you are getting comes with a fabulous mentor--her breeder!
And remember everyone makes mistakes in picking mismatches or dogs that don't nick, the trick is to be in it for the long haul, for a breed you love, in order to improve it.
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2014 7:39:35 AM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

The other key expense in breeding is time.

- travel time for testing and then breeding
- actual whelping
- puppy raising including feeding, clean up, grooming, vet visits, socialization
- puppy buyers - communication, visits, education

Then the 'what ifs':

- hand rearing - who is your back up as this is a 24/7 endeavor
- illness
- older puppies - not every puppy goes off to a lovely home at 9 weeks - do you have time and space to run on those older pups?

For those who don't need to work for a living happy :) all this might seem simple - but if you have to work to support your dog hobby, the time you put into a litter and the additional support you may need should be considered and planned. I have a friend who had it all planned out for a summer litter (she's a teacher) but of course the bitch didn't come in season as planned!

Good luck to those of you planning litters!

K
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2015 2:55:35 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

well had my girl scanned and she is not pregnant sad :(
 Pearl City
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2015 5:34:11 PM reply with quote send message to Pearl City Object to Post

PP, will you be reimburse for the stud fee? Since she didn't take? Sorry to hear she isn't pregnant, I remember you said once that it took you years to acquire a bitch.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2015 6:07:10 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I didn't have to pay the stud fee, luckerly. The stud owners terms were £100 maiting fee at time of breeding then the rest of the stud fee after pups are born which adds up to the cost of a puppy. But as they didn't get a tie only a slip they didn't want the £100. so at least not out that fee as well as all the other costs.
Will be trying again on her next season but maby with a proven stud.

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.