Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Terrier coats
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/17/2015 10:38:11 AM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post   

For those of you with terriers in stripped coats is there anything you give as a supplement or use on the coat to prevent flaky, dry skin? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 6:09:09 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I don't have terriers, but I do have wire coated dogs. I use salmon oil for the coat, a lot of people use coconut oil but I can't stand the smell! lol
I don't bathe them, ever. unless they absolutely have to have a bath. If they're dirty it falls right off when they're dry - if it's bad I rinse them with no shampoo.

I haven't really had any issues with dry skin, but I also hardly strip my dogs - they have very tight, natural, great coats that require minimal maintenance.
 Cypress Springs
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2015 7:01:32 PM reply with quote send message to Cypress Springs Object to Post

I have no problems with bathing my terriers. As long as you use the proper shampoo and make sure the coat dries flat, you should be fine! Its just really important that you keep the coat flat and tight while you dry it or it will puff up and stick out.
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 7:36:44 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

I've been afraid to try fish oil since I've heard it can soften the coat which I definitely don't want to do. wink :) I try not to bathe the coat too often but when I do I use a force dryer and dry flat. Works well but just wondering what you do in the meantime. One of my guys seems to have dryer and more flaky skin than the others.
 Briarmoore
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2015 4:57:02 PM reply with quote send message to Briarmoore Object to Post

What breed do you have? Fish oil should not soften the coat. My Scotties get a fish-based food that is high in fish oils and their coats are hard as anything I've worked with. Personally, I would never use a force dryer on a Scottie (I know someone who does and I hate what it does to the coats) but since I don't know what breed it is it's difficult to comment.

I use a horse hair brush regularly to stimulate the skin, but bathing every so often doesn't hurt either although you need to leave time for the coat to harden up before the next grooming session/show. I tend not to use coconut oil on the jacket, but will do on the furnishings and beard.
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 8:34:18 AM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

I have Schnauzers. I guess the fish oil just makes me nervous since I've heard it can soften the coat. They eat a rotation that includes a salmon based food and I the other foods contain some omega fatty acids as well but it's such a small amount. So that's why I was thinking of supplementing with more.

As far as the force dryer it works well for my breed. We use the force dryer to dry flat and get all the water out of the coat then finish drying flat with a regular hairdryer. Right now I am trying adding some coconut oil to their food.
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 4:12:13 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have had Cairns and have Dandies now. I certainly don't bath their jackets very often ... they aren't oily coats. When I do bath, I use CC Crisp Coat or All Systems Course Coat. My girls do get a fish oil capsule in their breakfast once/day. I've never had a problem with dry skin.

-----
Last edited by Tizzy Too on 7/20/2015 4:14:37 PM
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 6:20:04 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

Yes my guys aren't oily and they really don't get too dirty. Do your girls do well on the fish oil? It hasn't affected their coat texture? What type do you give?
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2015 11:47:07 AM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

I just use the Costco Omega 3 capsules and just pop one on their breakfast every morning.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.