Search

.com Forum · Kooikerhondje

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Thinking About Joining Kooikers
 bryerwood kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
1/21/2016 1:02:37 PM reply with quote send message to bryerwood kennel Object to Post   

Hi,

I'm considering joining the breed and I'm wondering about what is considered a finishable SOP, what the highest sop is, do they get group placements, ect? I've just left GSDs and the difference in SOP has me wondering what a show quality Kooik is vs breeding quality ect happy :)

Thank you
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2016 5:39:02 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Welcome to Kooikers!

Our current top SOP:
I have a 93.60% and a 93.45% but they are both WAY beyond the rest of my dogs – they are freaks of nature lol.

Showable SOP:
Anything 92.50% and above is showable at the moment. We do have quite a few dogs around the 92.75-92.95% mark that are being sessioned or starting their show careers currently.

Breedable SOP:
Broods are generally 92.30% and above. If we’re looking for a certain trait the SOP might be a tad lower, but anything under 92.00% is FHd.

# of studs:
We currently have 25 studs up for public use. All of our boys across all of the kennels are placed up when they turn of age – we’re not the type of breed to ‘stash our studs’ for personal use lol.

$$ of studs:
98% of our boys are up for use at $25-$50 – with only 2 exceptions. Just remember that price doesn’t always represent worth. We often have our best boys up for super cheap!

Show placements:
We are still raising our awareness with the Judges – so Group placements are in the rise! Especially with Judges who like Heat and Coat.

Show scene:
Majors are available every night as there are several of us showing lots of dogs at the moment and sessioning more for the ring. I occasionally get slack with entries due to work –but I’ve always got dogs that need to be shown so you’ll never be alone in the ring happy :) But we are obviously not as competitive or full-on like GSDs so you don’t have to worry about never having a handler available.

SOP improvement:
SOP seems to improve quite easily in this breed (and a hell of a lot faster compared to GSDs lol). I joined the breed in July 2015 and the breed had just cracked the 92% mark, and now we have a 93.60% !!!

Traits:
20: Head
15: Coat
10: Gait, TNB, Size
5: FQ, HQ, Feet.

Head is about 90% locked to 9.8 at the moment. Our elusive 9.9 is still yet to arrive. We still get the odd 9.7 pop up too.

Coat seems to waver between 9.4-9.6 at the moment – unsure if we have any 9.7s yet.

Size and Temp are starting to work their way towards 10.7 but we still have lots of 10.8, 10.9 and 11.0s.

I haven’t looked at the other traits in detail for this month, but last month the traits were sitting around:

FQ: 11.7-11.4
HQ: 8.3-8.7
Gait: 8.9-9.2
TNB: 9.0-9.3
Feet: 8.3-8.6

Colours:
We only have 2 colours: Red and White as well as R & W with Black Tips.

Current main breeders:
Practically Perfect
Purrs Port
SFFC
Vividly
Zinga
DragonFire
Dutch Creek Kennels

We'd love to have you on board if Kooikers sound like a good fit for you! laugh :D

We'd all be happy to send some Broods and Showables your way - just give us a shout! happy :)

-----
Last edited by Dalkeith on 1/21/2016 5:40:08 PM
 bryerwood kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/22/2016 4:25:04 PM reply with quote send message to bryerwood kennel Object to Post

Thank you for the helpful info, I'll probably email the other breeders tomorrow after work.
 SFFC
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/25/2016 5:03:06 AM reply with quote send message to SFFC Object to Post

I have 4 girls (5 days old, 2 days old SOP 92,25-92,55) for sale, so if you want to enter, they might be a good start. As my studs are generally of lower SOP than other breeders' I won't recommend them. I have one promising boy (93.4. Parents: 92.0 & 92.9) which will be available for stud in 10 days. As Dalkeith mentioned before, kooiker studs are quite affordable and we do not hide them wink ;).
 Dutch Creek Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/25/2016 9:22:35 PM reply with quote send message to Dutch Creek Kennels Object to Post

Welcome to Kooikers! Always nice to see new kennels interested in the breed. My SOP's tend to be a bit behind the pack as well, but I am catching up.

I did get a nice 92.70 female puppy in my last litter that I have already started sessioning, if you were still looking for some dogs.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14635802
 bryerwood kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/27/2016 4:01:42 PM reply with quote send message to bryerwood kennel Object to Post

Thank you for your replies everyone, I've bought a bitch from Dalkieth that I intend to show after her litter, so I might try to finish her GCH, or I'll session and show one of her puppies if they're of a better show quality.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.