Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Is it rare for a veteran dog to win BOB?
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/16/2017 5:10:57 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

A couple of questions for those who show (as I'm watching the AKC National Championship):

1. Is rare for a dog from the veteran class to win best of breed? And...

2. If a veteran dog wins its breed at a large event like the National Championship, is it most likely a "Specials" dog?
 Crosscroft
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2017 7:04:10 PM reply with quote send message to Crosscroft Object to Post

It is almost 100% of the time a "specials" dog meaning it's a champion. I would not call it rare, especially at national specialties for the veteran to win. A lot of veterans just don't enter, and most will usually be entered at a large/prestigious all breed like AKC royal canin or Westminster f they think they've got a good chance of winning.
 Gallant
Basic User

Basic User
12/20/2017 9:51:24 AM reply with quote send message to Gallant Object to Post

Not rare, atleast in my breed (akitas). We are a "slow maturing" breed that really doesn't look it's best until 5-6+. Veterans are 7+. Most of our top winning dogs are either veterans or almost a veteran. So I would say it's just dependent on the breed.
 residential5
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2018 10:54:26 AM reply with quote send message to residential5 Object to Post

Not rare in my breed either (labs.) The class is smaller so they get a better look, and a lot of active specials are over 7.

Know it happens a lot in setters too.

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.