Search

.com Forum · Australian Forum

Replies in this thread : 78
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Glacier Bay
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2008 10:29:00 PM reply with quote send message to Glacier Bay Object to Post

What's Vegimite?
Vegemite is a sandwich spread. Kind of like peanut butter. It DOES NOT taste like it, though. To me, it tasted bitter... and a little like malt. It is a national food in Australia. So for an American, it takes some getting used to. However, the taste can grow on you. For Father's Day, my daughter sent a few gifts. Included was a jar of the stuff. Contrary to rumors floating around, it was not banned in the United States. I can actually find it in a few of the higher-end grocery stores around here, as well as a couple of international super markets.
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 3:41:29 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Aah, I get it! Hmm... sounds interesting.
 Razorback Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2008 9:09:34 AM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridgebacks Object to Post

posted by Glacier Bay
What's Vegimite?
Vegemite is a sandwich spread. Kind of like peanut butter. It DOES NOT taste like it, though. To me, it tasted bitter... and a little like malt. It is a national food in Australia. So for an American, it takes some getting used to. However, the taste can grow on you. For Father's Day, my daughter sent a few gifts. Included was a jar of the stuff. Contrary to rumors floating around, it was not banned in the United States. I can actually find it in a few of the higher-end grocery stores around here, as well as a couple of international super markets.

Unfortunately one of Aussie's famous icons Vegimite is owned by Americans :'(
I love Vegemite put it on nice and thick and love it in a sandwich with cheese. I absolutely hate promite and marmite gross.
Rachael
 Glacier Bay
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2008 9:45:17 AM reply with quote send message to Glacier Bay Object to Post

Rachel,
Kraft owns it, right?

GB
 Razorback Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2008 7:52:01 PM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridgebacks Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Glacier Bay
Rachel,
Kraft owns it, right?

GB

Yes they do happy :)
Here's a pic of a small jar ( I'm the only one that eats it in my house :S )

Rachael
 Beverly Hills Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2008 6:38:33 PM reply with quote send message to Beverly Hills Dogs Object to Post

you know ya'll could be eating horses too!I think they're still in Jell-O....Im not Australian,Im american,irish,scotish,italian,german,and polish.

I think alligator is pretty good though.I think it was really sad when Steve died.And think about what his children felt like!Omg,I wouldn't be able to live myself if I was Bindi or whatever the boy's name was.
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2008 7:24:22 PM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

posted by sarahj
Aah, I get it! Hmm... sounds interesting.
Yeah, it really does! LOLlaugh :D Anyways, i have heard about that stuff, and it really does sound interesting! Perhaps i shall try it some day!

-IJMB
 Glacier Bay
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2008 8:58:15 PM reply with quote send message to Glacier Bay Object to Post

you know ya'll could be eating horses too!I think they're still in Jell-O....Im not Australian,Im american,irish,scotish,italian,german,and polish.

I think alligator is pretty good though.I think it was really sad when Steve died.And think about what his children felt like!Omg,I wouldn't be able to live myself if I was Bindi or whatever the boy's name was.
His name is Bob. I am also an American, just have family in Tas. They do actually, or did, use horse hooves (I think) in gelatin. To me, gator is a bit chewy...I guess it is all in the way it is prepared.

GB
 Beverly Hills Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2008 9:02:00 PM reply with quote send message to Beverly Hills Dogs Object to Post

posted by Glacier Bay

His name is Bob. I am also an American, just have family in Tas. They do actually, or did, use horse hooves (I think) in gelatin. To me, gator is a bit chewy...I guess it is all in the way it is prepared.

GB

They still do...they use horse in dog food to.And they use cow hooves in Jell-O too.
I like alligator...just won't eat it if its still moving!LOL!
 Razorback Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
7/28/2008 10:26:18 PM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridgebacks Object to Post

posted by Beverly Hills Dogs
posted by Glacier Bay

GB

They still do...they use horse in dog food to.And they use cow hooves in Jell-O too.
I like alligator...just won't eat it if its still moving!LOL!

We have jelly. the stuff where you put hot water in it and then have to put it in the fridge not to sure if that is the same thing as jell- o.
Ive tried croc and that was really salty :S
At my petshop we sell Horse and Camal (raw meat)
Rachael
 Beverly Hills Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2008 8:23:37 AM reply with quote send message to Beverly Hills Dogs Object to Post

No I don't think its the same as Jell-O.

Then your suporting Horse Slaughter...not saying you are a horse slaughterer.Lol,I wouldn't say that to people unless I really knew,which I don't know you but seriously I like horses and I don't think anyone should kill them.
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2008 10:13:47 AM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

Then your suporting Horse Slaughter...not saying you are a horse slaughterer.Lol,I wouldn't say that to people unless I really knew,which I don't know you but seriously I like horses and I don't think anyone should kill them.

Yuck, horse eating!

Anyway, who knows, maybe the horses are bred for this? I dont et jell-o!

-IJMB
 Beverly Hills Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2008 2:44:04 PM reply with quote send message to Beverly Hills Dogs Object to Post

posted by itsjustmebre

Yuck, horse eating!

Anyway, who knows, maybe the horses are bred for this? I dont et jell-o!

-IJMB

They aren't bred for it,some owners think that just because one of there horses lose one race that they can sell it to people that slaughter them.

I don't eat jell-o either..it makes me sick to my stomuch.
 Razorback Ridges
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2008 8:13:51 AM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridges Object to Post

Jelly is basically gelatine with flavouring not sure if horse is in it. But hey most foods you dont know whats in it.
Rachael
 Beverly Hills Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2008 9:59:55 AM reply with quote send message to Beverly Hills Dogs Object to Post

Yea....I tried to be a vegitarian one time..it lasted only 2 days.
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2008 7:52:55 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Sorry I was gone! Horses in jello? Um, okay! I wouldn't eat that. wink ;) Thanks for the pic of the Vegemite stuff. Now I know what it looks like.
 Glacier Bay
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2008 8:13:04 PM reply with quote send message to Glacier Bay Object to Post

From AOL Reference:
Gelatin or animal jelly, foodstuff obtained from connective tissue (found in hoofs, bones, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage) of vertebrate animals by the action of boiling water or dilute acid.
Gelatin is one of the main ingredients in Jell-o. It's the stuff that holds it together and makes it, well.....jello. LOL

Kinda nasty when you think about it. But to each his own, I guess.

GB
 seawood
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2008 10:24:40 PM reply with quote send message to seawood Object to Post

My friend is from Australia, they visit there every once in a while. We now live in the USA (I'm pretty sure we can't get vegemite here) Her little sister was running with the vegemite and it dropped and cracked, (it was in the middle of winter and they can't visit during the school year, her dad's the aussie) her dad got so pissed off XD
 seawood
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2008 10:33:52 PM reply with quote send message to seawood Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Eeep.
 Grandobe
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2008 9:29:02 PM reply with quote send message to Grandobe Object to Post

There is actually beef skin in gelatin not horse hooves!

Replies in this thread : 78
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

The Kennel Club (UK) system, which is also used by the Australian National Kennel Council[1] and in other countries, is considered the most difficult to earn a title under.