.com Forum · Australian Forum

Replies in this thread : 78
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Kuwanyauma
Basic User

Basic User
6/5/2008 6:56:56 PM reply with quote send message to Kuwanyauma Object to Post

I don't eat or give roo to my pets - only because of Toxo - which is rampent in the roo population! But I think croc sausages are yummy! But my favourite has to be DROPBEAR! laugh :D!
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 10:22:37 AM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Croc sausages? Like, a crocodile? EW! I actually like alligators and crocodiles.
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 12:26:35 PM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by sarahj
Croc sausages? Like, a crocodile? EW! I actually like alligators and crocodiles.
LOL, i have heard the meat is good, lolwink ;) Not that i will ever ea it, not as much a meat person, but im NOT vegitarian.

-IJMB

edited to add not, lol
 showcavaliers
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2008 12:44:33 PM reply with quote send message to showcavaliers Object to Post

crocodile is very yummy, but I like alligator better, its prob. because ive eaten it more though, Ive only had croc once on a trip out of the country, since in florida its illegal to kill them since theyre endangered down here, not gators though wink ;) way to many.
 Razorback Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2008 6:10:06 AM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridgebacks Object to Post

posted by Kuwanyauma
I don't eat or give roo to my pets - only because of Toxo - which is rampent in the roo population! But I think croc sausages are yummy! But my favourite has to be DROPBEAR! laugh :D!
What toxo? I think the reds have lots of worms and parasites or the other way round.
I thought croc was really salty tried it on a aussie tasting platter with emu, camel, roo, crocodile and there was something else as well cant remember.
Hahah good ole dropbear gotta smear yaself with vegemite wink ;)
Rachael
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2008 5:00:50 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Oh my gosh, I didn't know people ate these animals! Camels? Thier cute too! Of course, every country or continent has it's own style of eating. LOL!
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
6/8/2008 5:45:38 PM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

posted by sarahj
Oh my gosh, I didn't know people ate these animals! Camels? Thier cute too! Of course, every country or continent has it's own style of eating. LOL!
Ya, i have never been out of country, but so close tyo canada that radio disney online wouldnt let me listen and said something like "Sorry but you msut be in the united states to listen", whihc made me kind of mad!razz :p

-IJMB
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2008 4:30:28 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

But, you are in the United States, right? That's pretty crazy.
 Kuwanyauma
Basic User

Basic User
6/9/2008 8:40:40 PM reply with quote send message to Kuwanyauma Object to Post

posted by Razorback Ridgebacks

What toxo? I think the reds have lots of worms and parasites or the other way round.

Toxo (toxoplasmosis)

Toxoplasmosis is an infectious disease caused by a single-celled parasite called Toxoplasma gondii.
Can occur in both cats and dogs
This disease is zoonotic, which means it is transmissible to humans, and pregnant women especially must be careful.

Animals that are fed raw or incompletely cooked meat are at higher risk of developing toxoplasmosis, as well as animals that are immunosuppressed.

Dogs usually contract the disease by the following means:

Transplacental transmission – The organism is ingested by a pregnant animal, multiplies in the placenta and then infects the developing fetus.

Ingestion of the organism when they feed on the tissues of infected birds and rodents.

The signs may include fever, loss of appetite and depression. Further signs may occur, but that depends on where the infection occurs; toxoplasmosis can affect any organ system but primarily affects the lungs, the central nervous system (brain) and the eyes.

Central nervous system signs may include depression, a head tilt, partial or total blindness, seizures and death.

Respiratory signs may include fever, cough, and increased respiratory rate and effort.

Uveitis (inflammation of the interior of the eye) may cause excessive blinking (blepharospasm), squinting, and sensitivity to light (photophobia).

Other signs that may be observed are ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdomen), jaundice, hepatomegaly (liver enlargement), muscle pain, loss of appetite, and weight loss.

It's a NASTY disease! And while it won't particularly bother them when they're young adults, as they get older symptoms can start to show. Also as it migrates across the placenta, pups can be born with it and show symptoms as their immune system is immature. Through my job, I have watched the incidence of Toxo in dogs and cats spike in recent years - and often they are fed on Roo mince. I haven't researched to definatly be able to say "BLAME ROO" but I won't take the risk - especially since there are many other alternatives out there.

Kuwanyauma
 Mystic dogs kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2008 12:44:32 PM reply with quote send message to Mystic dogs kennel Object to Post

Im Australian, my accent is HEAVY...But for me the "I love australians" title is offensive..Its like labeling someone. But it's ok..
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2008 3:25:43 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Oh, really sorry about that! I DID NOT mean to be offensive in any way. I just wanted to state, if I didn't live in the United States, I would live in Australia.
 Mystic dogs kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/21/2008 8:41:31 PM reply with quote send message to Mystic dogs kennel Object to Post

Oh no, its ok! wink ;)
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/22/2008 1:50:47 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Okay! How are the snakes there? I heard ya'll have poisonous snakes, which basically everybody does. laugh :D
 Mystic dogs kennel
Basic User

Basic User
6/22/2008 3:49:38 PM reply with quote send message to Mystic dogs kennel Object to Post

Well, I dont live in Aussie right now, but there is a large population of snakes...Some are unvenumous but most are....If you dont mess with em they wont mess with you, unless they want to,but i doubt it...Most of the population is rattlers..well where i lived..
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2008 12:06:31 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Oh, okay. Yeah, snakes are basically everywhere. Rattlers? Oh yeah, I've got those too.
 Kuwanyauma
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2008 6:00:08 PM reply with quote send message to Kuwanyauma Object to Post

Rattlers?? I didn't think we had rattle snakes - but the Death Adders can make a similar noise?? Where I live the venomous snake population consists mainly of Red-Belly blacks and Brown snakes. Also seen a few harmless tree-snakes as well....

I'm more worried by the spiders - HEAPS of Redbacks even though we spray 'em....The Huntsmen aren't "bad" but the Whitetails are nasty!
 Razorback Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2008 5:08:12 AM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridgebacks Object to Post

We have many harmless pythons here. The dangerous ones are the Dugite, the brown snake, death adder, tiger snale, mulga, olive python.

eww spiders. we have many red backs huntman and lots of harmless daddy long legs over this way.
Rachael
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2008 1:10:32 AM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Oh gosh, I can't stand all of those types of poisonous snakes! I have Rattlers here, but I rarely see them.
 Glacier Bay
Basic User

Basic User
7/10/2008 7:19:35 PM reply with quote send message to Glacier Bay Object to Post

Well sorry to say but thinking of someone eating a kangaroo makes my stomach turn...jmo

AgilityQueen
Actually, I never could get past the taste of Vegimite! I am an American, but my ex-wife and daughter are Tasmanian. They love that stuff. Personally, I would rather eat a roo than Vegimite.

Glacier Bay
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
7/11/2008 6:36:46 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

What's Vegimite?

Replies in this thread : 78
Page : 1 2 3 4
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.