Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 285
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
<< prev page next page >>

Hermosa Havanese
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2008 3:10:51 PM reply with quote send message to Hermosa Havanese Object to Post

I added info on the havanese board....

There were WAY too many combinations to write them all out individually(over 100 just for a solid black dog) so I wrote out each gene and what they do/how the enteract. Do you need more info?

www.showdog.com/login/Breeds/philboard_read.aspx?id=110072&recordnum=0
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/12/2008 4:38:10 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Here is what I understand to be for Cockers:

A Locus: A Ay at
B Locus: B b
C Locus: C c cch
D Locus: D
E Locus: E e
G Locus: g
M Locus: m
R Locus: R r
S Locus: S Si Sp Se
T Locus: T t

This is off the top of my head and I do not know if there is new research to suggest otherwise. If someone else contradicts this with better more up-to-date knowledge, I'm fine with it.

A: Cockers come in black, black&tan, and sable (controversial).

B: Black can become chocolate/liver, so brown, brown&tan, a sable where the shading is brown rather than black.

C: Three alleles determine the shade of the yellow/tan pigment. Although I suspect it might be incomplete dominance I think for our purposes you could view it as complete - C-C, C-c, or C-cch might be described a red/gold.
c-c, c-cch would be buff.
cch-cch would be silver. The cch is the so called "Chinchilla" gene which causes the dilution of the red/yellow pigment.

D: Cockers are not generally thought to carry the blue dilution, but it seems I have seen some suggestion that it occurs but rarely. I would go with no blue dilution.

E: Straight forward, same as Labs. My source suggests that the brindle and masking(greatDane etc) also belongs in this series. The brindle is irrelevant to cockers but many tan pointed and sable cockers tend to show a mask pattern, so maybe, however it could be ignored for cockers.

G: Cockers are not known to carry the dominant greying gene.

M: Nor the merle pattern gene.

R: Roan is dominant to the clear white r. Roan is very common in English Cockers but fairly rare in American. It is visible of course only on white areas producing a more or less even distribution of dark hairs amongst the white.

S: The white spotting loci. S is solid colour - all black, red, whatever. Si is the so-called Irish spotting pattern - white chest, toes, etc - typical of Boxers, Basenjis. I think this is probably rare in cockers if it exists as it would tend to produce too much white to pass as a solid but not enough to make a successful parti-colour. Sp is the most common parti-colour allele. Se is an extreme parti producing dogs that predominantly white with smaller patches of colour.

T: Ticking is similar to roan but producing a more spotted look - English Setter.

To implement the parti colour component I suggest a percent white factor calculated based on the S loci. For example:
S-S 0 to 1% white
S-Si 0 to 10%
S-sp 0 to 5%
S-se 0 to 7%

si-si 3 to 15%
si-sp 10 to 20%
sp-sp 15 to 50%
sp-se 40 to 90%
se-se 90 to 99%

In addition, I suspect that the e-e promotes white while the E-E, and E-e suppresses white to an extent - black and white cockers strongly tend to have larger areas of colour than red and white. You might want to use that to help manipulate the percent white suggested above and/or just randomize the range. I have purposely suggested an overlap so that by looking without any ancestral knowledge you would not know for sure the actual genetics. Or you could go for a simple solid or parti-coloured model where S and sp are the only alleles and S-S, S-sp are solild and sp-sp is parti.

Ross Wood Setters
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2008 6:22:06 PM reply with quote send message to Ross Wood Setters Object to Post

English Setter colors that i know

Color--orange belton, blue belton (white with black markings), tricolor (blue belton with tan on muzzle, over the eyes and on the legs), lemon belton, liver belton

www.healthgene.com/canine/C128_setter_english.asp
 GaylanStudio2
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/12/2008 6:35:42 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio2 Object to Post

I hesitate to suggest percentages because these change depending on fashion. They are also dependant on area - city, state/province/county, continent, and country.

English Cockers seem to be predominantly blue roan (black parti roan). Black and red seem most common in the solid variety.

Americans seem probably about even split between parti and solid. Probably about even black vs red also, although more black solids it seems.

I wonder if when applying colours it would be better to start with the present stock so that all colours were currently represented rather than worry about the "ancient" lineage. Let's just sprinkle the possible genes randomly among our current stock, think of everything behind them as phenotypically solid black and move forward from there. That way we would know that we had all the material for all of the colours at hand - we just have to find them if they are not obvious.

Cashmere
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2008 6:57:13 PM reply with quote send message to Cashmere Object to Post

posted by ShelGrace
Sasher, my apologies. I have to say, my face is a little red. The doctor mentioned in that paper (not the author, but the researcher at the U of S), is my boss. I have been working with her for the past 2 years in coat color genetics research. I was under the impression that the Belgian Shepherd varieties were all ky (which is actually the terminology for the recessive allele of the K loci, that has been updated since the release of that paper you posted. KB > kbr > ky), but was mistaken in that. I know there are a couple of herding breeds that carry dominant and recessive black, Aussies and Border Collies come to mind. But I wasn't aware that Belgians were in that grouping as well.

There are a couple of recent papers that go over the K locus in more detail.

Candille, et al. (2007) A beta-defensin mutation causes black coat color in domestic dogs. Science. 5855:1418-23

Kerns, et al. (2007) Linkage and segregation analysis of black and brindle coat colors in domestic dogs. Genetics. 3:1679-89

i was going to say-that wasnt right lol
 Kuwanyauma
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2008 7:15:20 PM reply with quote send message to Kuwanyauma Object to Post

ShelGrace
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2008 9:31:54 PM reply with quote send message to ShelGrace Object to Post

I also posted a list in the Pyrenean Shepherd forum.
www.showdog.com/login/Breeds/philboard_read.aspx?id=110167

I would love some input from someone that is more familiar with the breed. The genetics part I can do, but I don't know off hand if black in Pyr Sheps is recessive or dominant, if "grey" is normal eumelanin dilution or if it is progressive grey (or both?), etc.
 ShelGrace
Basic User

Basic User
7/12/2008 9:33:44 PM reply with quote send message to ShelGrace Object to Post

Oh, and for simplicity, Rough/Smooth Collies will be identical to the Shelties (which now have color! thanks Jeff!) except take out the recessive black ("a" allele) so no bi-blue or bi-black options.
 jovilea
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 2:22:54 AM reply with quote send message to jovilea Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

BOXERS

Compared to some breeds,Boxer coat inheritance is actually pretty simple; fawn or brindle; with or without white markings. I had to do some research to come up with the genetic breakdown, so here it is:

The following genes are responsible for Boxer color-
~E (Black coat color)
~Em (Black restricted to a Mask)

~K (Solid Black)
~Kbr (Black distributed in Brindle stripes)

~S (no or minimal white markings)
~Sw (White markings)
(the Si "Irish Spotting" gene is NOT the one responsible for white markings in Boxers)

All Boxers are genetically EmEm. Therefore there are no pure-black boxers, and there are no boxers without a mask. Some boxers may appear black, or some may appear to have no mask, but they simply have an extreme expression of the genes responsible.

Therefore the genetic breakdown is as follows:

"plain" Fawn-
Em/Em
K/K
S/S

"flashy" Fawn-
Em/Em
K/K
S/Sw

Genetically fawn White-
Em/Em
K/K
Sw/Sw

"plain" Brindle-
Em/Em
K/Kbr *or* Kbr/Kbr(dominant brindle)
S/S

"flashy" Brindle-
Em/Em
S/Sw

Genetically brindle White-
Em/Em
Sw/Sw

A Dominant Brindle is harder to determine, since there is no outward indication if a dog carries one or two of the Kbr genes. Only if you know that one of the parents is a fawn (therefore only able to pass on the K gene), can you say for certain a dog is not dominant brindle. Two fawns will never produce a brindle, but two brindles could produce a fawn, if they both carry only a single Kbr gene.

For the following percentage purposes, "Brindle" is a dog that carries one brindle gene and "dom. Brindle" is one who carries both brindle genes.

Fawn x Fawn= 100% Fawn
Fawn x Brindle= 50% Fawn, 50% Brindle
Fawn x dom. Brindle= 100% Brindle
Brindle x Brindle= 25% Fawn, 50% Brindle, 25% dom. Brindle
Brindle x dom. Brindle= 50% brindle, 50% dom. Brindle
dom. Brindle x dom. Brindle= 100% dom. Brindle

White is not a color, but rather a double dose of the Sw gene, and it hides the underlying coat color of the dog, unless the dog has a patch somewhere where you can see the color. A Boxer that is more than 1/3 white is disqualified from conformation shows.
*IF* you want to add white markings to our breed then the genetics are also very simple. Since neither 'S' nor 'Sw' dominate each other, the genotype is easily determined by the phenotype. A plain Boxer always carries S/S, a flashy carries S/Sw, and a white is Sw/Sw.

Plain x Plain= 100% Plain
Plain x Flashy= 50% Plain, 50% Flashy
Plain x White= 100% Flashy
Flashy x Flashy= 25% Plain, 50% Flashy, 25% White
Flashy x White= 50% Flashy, 50% White
White x White= 100% White

There are no dilute, brown, cream, merle, etc genes in Boxers, so coding should be pretty simple.

I hope this is the info that you were looking for.

Claudine
*edited to add percentages*
 Idals
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 3:47:01 AM reply with quote send message to Idals Object to Post

Deltyra
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/13/2008 10:32:32 AM reply with quote send message to Deltyra Object to Post

posted by ShelGrace
Oh, and for simplicity, Rough/Smooth Collies will be identical to the Shelties (which now have color! thanks Jeff!) except take out the recessive black ("a" allele) so no bi-blue or bi-black options.
Thank you for posting that! Yes Collies should be the same minus the bi color. I did the list for Collies in the breed forum but I think yours is probably less confusing happy :)
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 11:13:06 AM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

Was wondering about the color variations in Weims. In this breed most people just think of the "Grey Ghost". I researched Bella's AKC pedigree 12 generations before I got her. This is when I found out about the color variations, as she had Fawn, Silver Fawn, Grey, Silver Grey, and Blue registered colors of her decendants. Knowing that Blue is a automatic DQ, I was wondering if you were going to make this a possibility. With my research the only possibility of blue is breeding a blue to a grey. Breeding two grey's always results in Grey's. Any blues were classicly culled from the litter, and until 1971 this was not considered a DQ by the AKC. Because of the beauty of their coat, blues are being bred for now. The only genetic combo's I can find are on grey to blue and that's pretty simple. The silver in the coat is not even touched on, that I can find, and the Fawn is just about non existant in info on. Because blue is a DQ there are tons of information on this. The actual Silver, in the breed is rarer and only experianced breeders can actually catagory this correctly, as there is silver in all the coats. The Silver is more predominant in the "silver classed" coats. This has always intrested me, as a RL breeder. My original intent, when originally researching this, was to ensure I wasn't passing the blue gene down in my lines. Since this dilutation can only be passed by breeding to a blue it can easily be bred out of the line. Also, another question would be long coated Weims. They are becoming extreamly more popular and are being bred by respected kennels in RL for owners in cold climates. Not sure how the Breed Standerd views them, as you don't see many yet. This is another genetic coat combo, and breeders that are breeding them are advertizing them and their short coated Weims seperate. They are actually telling you if their short coated dog have a possibility of having the gene. Jeff, any answer would be appreciated. The color addition to the game is and advantage to the more popular breeds in the game. Kind of leaving the single color breeds by the wayside when people are choosing their breeds. I'll get you the genetic color codes for the grey/blue possibilites and the others when I find them. Thanks

It's all for the breed, Weims.
 ShelGrace
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 11:17:36 AM reply with quote send message to ShelGrace Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Here ya go, Deltyra! The list for Collie coat color.

It's the Sheltie list, but I have taken out the "a".

Sable
ay/ay m/m si/si
ay/at m/m si/si
ay/ay m/m si/sp
ay/at m/m si/sp

Tricolor
at/at m/m si/si
at/at m/m si/sp

Blue Merle
at/at M/m si/si
at/at M/m si/sp

Sable Merle
ay/ay M/m si/si
ay/at M/m si/si
ay/ay M/m si/sp
ay/at M/m si/sp

Color Headed White
ay/ay m/m sp/sp (sable head)
ay/at m/m sp/sp (sable head)
at/at m/m sp/sp (tri head)
at/at M/m sp/sp (blue merle head)
ay/ay M/m sp/sp (sable merle head)
ay/at M/m sp/sp (sable merle head)

Double Merle (often associated with primarily white coloration, hearing and visual defects)
at/at M/M si/si
at/at M/M si/sp
ay/ay M/M si/si
ay/at M/M si/si
ay/ay M/M si/sp
ay/at M/M si/sp
 Deltyra
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/13/2008 11:18:02 AM reply with quote send message to Deltyra Object to Post

Thanks Shelgrace <3
 Hermosa Havanese
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 12:11:56 PM reply with quote send message to Hermosa Havanese Object to Post

OK Jeff,

In Havanese I have four/five "posts" on the colors....
The first few tell what the gene is, then later on, after the replys, I added all the possible color combinations, their precentages, and the possible gene combinations for these. Below these I added the percentages of the dogs that ALSO either silver or are born dilute, since I didnt know if you would want to add those.

I would appreciate you taking a look.

Thank you,

Natasha
Hermosa Havanese
Estrella Kennel
 Razzmatazza
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 12:34:35 PM reply with quote send message to Razzmatazza Object to Post

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

* A (agouti): (A locus – 5 alleles)
* B (brown): (B,b)
* C (albino series): (C locus- 5 alleles)
* D (blue dilution): (D,d)
* E (extension): (E locus – 4 alleles)
* G (graying): (G,g)
* M (merle): (M,m)
* S (white spotting): (S locus – 4 alleles)
* T (ticking): (T,t)

Blenheim
atateespsp

Ruby
atateeSsp
atateeSS

Tricolour
atatEEspsp
atatEespsp

Black and Tan
atatEESS
atatEESsp
atatEeSS
atatEeSsp

at, which produces black, with tan markings on the muzzle, over the eyes, on the chest, legs, and under the tail.
sp, piebald. This causes the "broken" coat patterns in our parti-colour Blenheims and Tricolours.

You can read more into it here xD cavalierkingcharles.org.uk/colour_inheritance.html

Razzy
 Frizzy Files
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 12:35:27 PM reply with quote send message to Frizzy Files Object to Post

www.tenset.co.uk/doggen/indexus.html

This is rather confusing but the program, once downloaded, seems to give various Alleles for lots and lots of breeds. I'm not a gentic whizz but someone will be able to put this to good use.

Nick
To change the breeds you click "Configure" on the main page wink ;)
 Pangea
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 12:36:39 PM reply with quote send message to Pangea Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

You people are awesome!

Any assistance with German Shepherds would be greatly appreciated.

So far I have gathered two links
jmadesign.com/Frankenhaus/colorgen01.shtml
and
healthgene.com/canine/C128_german_shepherd.asp
and told that Liver and Blue may need to be added.

I think we have made it as far as we can go. We need someone with an interest or talent to put this into the format Jeff is requesting.

Again, any assistance making this happen would be very, very appreciated!

~Pangea
 Redemption Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 3:00:29 PM reply with quote send message to Redemption Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

For the American Staffordshire Terrier:

Help greatly appreciated!

I've basically summed up the different alleles at the different loci responsible for different colors. Feel free to add more or further detail the information, or even correct me if I'm wrong.

All colors are acceptable, but tan and white and black and white are very common; dogs with more than 80% white and black and tan are undesirable) so can someone come up with the actual percentages?

I've left out the G (progressive graying), M (Merle), and T (Ticking) Loci for obvious reasons. I think we can leave out the C locus as well since "Shade of color" is irrelevent IMO. it just complicates things. That is just my opinion though, feel free to add it if you wish.

The hard part is determining how each of the different combination of alleles interact with one another. The "rules" are as follows:

6 LOCI:

A Locus: As Ay at
B Locus: B b
C Locus: C cch (independent)
D Locus: D d
E Locus: E e Ebr Em
S Locus: S si sp sw

A (interact with locus E alleles)
As - Dominant black
Ay - Dominant yellow
At - Bi-colored pattern like in the Doberman; in black, seal, blue, chocolate, red colored dogs

B (Black/Brown pigment)
B - Black pigment
b - Brown pigment
Black nose: Bb, BB
Red nose: bb

C (pigment depth)
CC - full color
Ccch - medium shade
cchcch - pale shade

D (Pigment density)
D - Intense pigment density
d - Dilute pigment density
Bbdd (blue)
BBdd (blue)
bbdd (Fawn-bluie; dilute brown pigment; reddish colored nose)

E (extension) – interact with locus A
Em - black mask (DOMINANT)
EBr - brindle (Bands of Dark pigment on light pigment; EBr is masked in dogs with As b/c there is no light coat to act on)
* Interaction with B and D loci produce variety of brindle colors
* Ay-B-D-Ebr- black brindle
* Ay-B-ddEbr- blue brindle
* Ay-bbD-Ebr- brown or chocolate brindle
* Ay-bbddEbr- fawn brindle
E - extension of dark pigment; normal expression of dark pigment
* As-E- black/brown
* Ay-E- red or buckskin w/ or w/o black ticked hairs on head/back
e - restriction of dark pigment; producing yellow shades by light pigment
* DOES allow expression of pigment on nose, lips, eye rims,
* As-ee buckskin
* Ay-ee light tan

S (White Pattern)
S - Solid color coat with occasional white markings on throat chest (homozygous)
si - Irish spotting; produces a pattern of white on the muzzle,
forehead, chest, belly, feet and tail tip.
sp - Piebald spotting; produces a widely varying areas of
white. In the homozygous (spsp) genotype you would see a white dog with dark patches.
sw - extreme piebald spotting; further decreases the
pigmented area and, depending on the plus or minus modifiers, the pattern can range from solid
white to white with spots on the ears, around the eyes, and in the tail area.

FEW EXAMPLES:

Black As-D-E-
White w/Black Spots As-D-E-spsp
Blue As-ddE-
Black & Tan atatD-E-
Red AyD-E-
Fawn AyddE-
Brindle Ay-D-Ebr-
Blue Brindle Ay-B-ddEbr-
 ShelGrace
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 4:07:04 PM reply with quote send message to ShelGrace Object to Post

Redemption,
It looks like you got it mostly correct. The only thing that has changed recently (2007ish) is the dominant black and brindle thing.

Dominant black is not an allele of Agouti, rather it is controlled by the K locus. The K locus has 3 alleles, KB, kbr and ky. KB is dominant black. kbr is brindle, and ky allows for Agouti to show.

So for instance, a dog that is:
KB/_ E/_ ay/_ would be black
kbr/_ E/_ ay/_ would be brindle
ky/_ E/_ ay/_ would be fawn

The way I think of it, is that the K locus dictates whether the color you see is due to the Extension (E) locus or the Agouti (A) locus. If there is KB, then the E locus is in charge. If the genotype at K is ky/ky then the Agouti locus is in charge. Or, the other way, if you see a phenotype that is controlled by Agouti (ie. fawn, tricolor, black and tan, sable, etc.), then the K genotype must be ky/ky.

Then in regards to brindle, it is the middle allele in the hierarchy, so a brindle dog could either be kbr/kbr or kbr/ky.

For further explanation, check out homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogcolors.html

Replies in this thread : 285
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.