Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Seashore
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/19/2013 4:18:29 PM reply with quote send message to Seashore Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Canis Lupis Kennels
the 2x2/clicker method I've always found interesting, though I've never tried it with any of my dogs. Has anyone here trained their dogs that way? One of my friends did and their dogs have very nice weaves.
Yes I have...worked really well for me. My Kooiker was trained entirely on 2x2s, was weaving 6 poles in about 3 weeks and has lovely independent weaves on both sides with brilliant entries.

I then tried with my Phalene, that was harder work but then he is a completely different kettle of fish and I didn't help by being very stop start to begin with and it taking a long time to find a method of reward that worked. He still needs some work (we've had a few months off cos of nowhere to train) because I kept forgetting to put a verbal in (oops) and he sometimes struggles to collect for the very sharp entries, but again his weaves are independent and entries are generally very good.

It's the method I'll be using for my next dog happy :)

-----
Last edited by Seashore on 12/19/2013 4:19:16 PM
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
12/27/2013 11:59:05 PM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

Everdale, I ran across this post today that is a pretty perfect explanation of important tips for training channel weaves in the fashion I enjoy most. rubythewhippet.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/weave-entrances-on-four-poles/

The only thing I might suggest differently is to introduce as much speed and independent driving through the channels as quickly as possible. I'm sure that until you're dog gets the idea to stay *in* the channel it might be more helpful to start slower and let them think through what they're doing but as soon as they show the want to stay in the open channel then I'd start encouraging the most speed/drive as possible!

Hope that helps give you some ideas!

TCrown happy :)
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2013 12:13:46 AM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Also, to have even more fun encouraging you dog to offer very independent weaves then try the "Ready? Reaadddyyy??? GO!!!" game. You can teach it while just playing fetch and it's much more fun to start with multiple dogs. Showing the dog their reward (something you can throw- toy or food pouch/container typically) ask them if they're ready, then really rev them up by creating a lot of anticipation for chasing that toy ("are you ready? you sure you're reaaddyyy???" ) and then suddenly shout "GO!!" as you throw the toy ahead. Goal of the game is to have the dog(s) race ahead of you on the word "GO!" even *before* you make any action of throwing the toy (which is why starting with multiple dogs helps, because even if they haven't seen you even raise your arm in preparation of throwing the toy they are typically so competitive to be the fastest to take off ahead so that they'll have the best chance of getting the toy after it's thrown) .

Once your dog understands the game and you've introduced the dog to going straight through the open weave channel you can play the game while training weaves. Stand or sit in the distance and make sure your dog has taken notice of the weaves. Then start asking if he's ready. Suddenly shout "GO!!" and if/after your dog runs through the weave channel throw the toy as hard/fast as possible straight past the end of the weaves for them to chase down after getting through the weaves. The goal here is to get that toy thrown ahead before the dog turns back to look at you but not so early that you might cause your dog to jump out of the weaves in order to chase the toy sooner. As the dog gets more and more accustomed and excited to play the game you can start proofing your weaves (even with them still open) by either throwing sooner or even starting to move the dog's starting position so that it has to try a little harder to get into the weaves straight/correctly.

Very fun game if you want to give it a go happy :)

TCrown happy :)

-----
Last edited by TCrown on 12/28/2013 8:16:11 AM
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
12/28/2013 8:54:35 AM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

Thank you so much for your advice TCrown! happy :) Your dogs are great weavers and I love seeing the videos of them when you post. happy :) I will take a look at that site. That game sounds like a great idea as well and I think it is something my dog will really enjoy and respond well to. Thanks again!

Replies in this thread : 24
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.