Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Help picking a new breed
 Lëgacÿ
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/9/2015 8:42:46 AM reply with quote send message to Lëgacÿ Object to Post   

I have been in nearly every single breed, but with a kennel just sitting and not being used, I am pretty much open to whatever. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have to admit that I do like show and group placement but I am also partial to rarer breeds also, providing good stock is available. Let me know!
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2015 9:41:21 AM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

Try Australian Cattle Dogs! There's only a few of us, and I'd be able to provide you with a brood and a few puppies to start as soon as Thursday. I've found HeatherRose and Lanakila to be very helpful when starting up in the breed. Regenhaus and I are just starting, but I already have 2 finished champions and another due to finish in a day or so. Also have litters due as soon as Thursday with more to come in the future. We're just starting to hit 93 in SOP but still seeing a lot of high 92s.
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2015 9:55:25 AM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

Keeshonds were rarer until recently. We've probably got one of the most community minded group of breeders in the game, and we're frequently taking group placements, and ALMOST at show placements (I think 2nd in show is as high as a keeshond's gotten). Stud fees are low and there are usually plenty of decent dogs available to purchase, plus any of us in the breed would be happy to get you started.
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/9/2015 10:45:04 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post

my american staffordshire terriers take group wins sometimes and bull terriers are really on the come up lately with a lot of current dogs getting on the all time leader board
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2015 11:11:14 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I have Great Danes, Borzois, Malamutes, and Gordon Setters.

Great Danes have large litters, are show ready in about 20 days, frequently take BIS placements, stud fees are not more than $150, and the breeders I have talked to are very nice and helpful. There are 61 dogs for sale currently ... www.showdog.com/dogsforsale/breedlisting.aspx?breed=Great+Dane

Borzois also have large litters, are show ready in about 22 days, frequently take BIS placements, stud fees are not more than $150, and the breeders are all great! We have Picardy color pictures! happy :) There are currently 48 dogs for sale www.showdog.com/dogsforsale/breedlisting.aspx?breed=Borzoi

Malamutes have large litters, can take up to BIS but group and show placements are more common, stud fees are not usually more than $100 with a nice mix of $25 and $50 studs. We have a breeder thread where we talk about everything. happy :) The breeders are awesome! We have Picardy color pictures! happy :) There are currently 120 dogs for sale www.showdog.com/dogsforsale/breedlisting.aspx?breed=Alaskan+Malamute

Gordon Setters are the reason I subscribed with Showdog again. The litters aren't as large as the other dogs but still are usually 6-8 puppies, we have a judge (Bruce Bass) who loves his Gordons and awards the boys BIS but we do take group placements under other judges, stud fees are no more than $100, and the breeders are so happy to help with anything you may need. We have color pictures from Picardy, and there are currently 15 dogs for sale www.showdog.com/dogsforsale/

All four of my breeds have the best breeders I have encountered.

Best of luck in your search!
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/9/2015 12:06:18 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

I second Malamutes as well as they are my other breed. Great group of breeders.
 Blue Water
Basic User

Basic User
3/10/2015 10:01:10 AM reply with quote send message to Blue Water Object to Post

Black Russian Terriers or Bichons could use some more dedicated breeders. I'd love to help out where I could.
In other kennels I have chows, Lhasa, mini poodles.
Good luck picking a breed so many out there and so many with low participation happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/11/2015 2:24:39 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

In my basic kennel I am showing an Azwakah for a kennel and the boy took BIG last night. I believe they are in need of help. I have seen two other kennels showing dogs.
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/12/2015 8:36:35 AM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been in all the breeds mentioned before so, I'm going to go back through and see what interests me the most as of now.

Yall are awesome! Suggestions still welcome!
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/12/2015 7:31:32 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

How about Bergamasco, Pulis, Pumis or Mudis, or Otterhounds or Bloodhounds?
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/13/2015 1:30:02 AM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I am backing up the suggestion for Keeshonds, and if they are not rare enough, then how about Norwegian Buhunds.
Both breeds are getting group and show placings and have some nice pups for sale. At the moment Buhunds have some nice adults for sale with a kennel closing down.

-----
Last edited by Aussiewolfsister on 3/13/2015 5:07:00 AM
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 3:59:25 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

I third malamutes, lots of competition, lots of majors, lots of specialties, lots of cheap studs, lots of awesome dogs for sale, lots of group or higher placements, lots of Cooperative spirit, lots of fun. wink ;)
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 6:25:36 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I am going to support the Keeshond! Great bunch of breeders, active forum, low stud fee, good placements and room for improvement whether you want to trait breed, SOP breed etc...

Come join us happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/13/2015 7:00:49 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

The Keeshond bunch certainly seem keen and helpful, good luck with your new breed.
 Lëgacÿ
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2015 10:04:27 PM reply with quote send message to Lëgacÿ Object to Post

Hey guys! I went ahead and started the new kennel, Federation. Right now, I've got a Dane but am looking into all of these suggestions!

Mals and Kees seem to be the most popular by comments!

Thanks!
-Four
 Analeyn
Basic User

Basic User
3/14/2015 11:18:41 PM reply with quote send message to Analeyn Object to Post

I am very partial to Keeshonds - so I won't discount them as a great option happy :)

However, Portuguese Pointers are a good breed with potential that could use some new breeders. My kennel in that breed is Affinity. We do have a major most nights and are competitive in group.

The most exciting thing is the SOP/trait jumps - top SOP that I know of is a bitch of mine at 90.55. I am continuously making progress and breeding improved dogs that have better traits and jump by 0.4 in SOP at times happy :) Much more enthralling than a 0.05 increase or slight trait improvements happy :)

I can definitely supply you with solid dogs - and the other breeders will also help happy :)

Let me know if Ports intrigue you - perhaps you might like to have a few litters and then decide happy :)

Analeyn

mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/15/2015 6:47:59 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Pumis will have majors every day from next week, come join us, small breed, nice dogs. I'll have pups hopefully with good SOP available from tomorrow.
 speedy2
Basic User

Basic User
3/21/2015 7:35:40 PM reply with quote send message to speedy2 Object to Post

Hi. I guess it's what you want. Lots of challenge in developing good dogs to a high standard - try the big breeds. Challenges in developing to current standards - try the middle breeds. Challenges in keeping the breed going - try the lowest ranked breeds. Support and friendship - check the breeds listed in this thread - this forum will show you that.
Speedy2

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.