.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : question on turnover of new players
 speedy2
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/6/2015 5:37:14 PM reply with quote send message to speedy2 Object to Post   

Hi people

I was a player some years ago and lapsed. Jeff's emails brought me back and now I have a rare breed kennel as well as two standard kennels. I am really enjoying it - thanks Jeff.

However in this game time passes so slowly ... getting my showable dogs sessioned, my females ready for breeding, waiting for litters. Yes I'm relearning my Showdog patience ... but what about the newbies? It takes a long time to get rewards out of this game, and I fear we lose many new players.

What about a class added to each show for basic players, or players with less than 3 months standing with breed unimportant. All newbies dogs in together. Give them an opportunity to succeed at something as well as learn about sessioning and quality of dogs. No points towards championships - maybe points towards a basic award not known as a championship ... a new player award.

Comments?

speedy2

Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2015 6:29:28 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

I've always enjoyed that this game is not about instant gratification. Showing and winning seems worth the wait for me, anyway.
I know established kennels can set up new people with CH dogs/fully sessioned dogs to get a hang of the game while they set up (since I'm willing to do it). Seems like a non-issue with that in mind..
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2015 6:39:55 PM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Hi Kievan

That's wonderful if that happens - I've lucked into 1 Champion that I turned into a Grand Champion and kept me interested, but that was from a kennel getting out of the breed and was sheer luck (thanks warmwater).

Foxies sounds great in helping newbies. In at least 3 other breeds I received no help and would have floundered and run out of patience.

So I guess that if they run out of patience then they are not good showdog players?

We seem to be down on players since my last foray into Showdog. Is it worth trying to keep newbies who don't settle straight away, or not?

glittering
 rowanw
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2015 8:29:41 PM reply with quote send message to rowanw Object to Post

I wouldn't be against "Fun Matches" or something along those lines. I think I would definitely like having a Best Puppy in Match!

Maybe with "comments" similar to those given in obedience.

"Your puppy needs more training, Keep sessioning and he/she will be ready for a 'real' show in no time."

"Oh no, your puppy's grooming could use some work. Keep sessioning, you're almost there."

"Your puppy jumped all over the judge. Be sure to session your puppy to "20" before entering 'regular' shows."

<g>
I don't see this kind of update happening, but the puppy match "comments" were fun to consider.

Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/7/2015 6:10:13 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I don't think the problem is the game time - since once your kennel is established things rotate through at a good pace, in my opinion.
I think the problem is that newbies don't know where to find established kennels and to message them and ask for quality dogs to start with.

I would love to see a re-do of the Help page to make it easier as well as link that page and dogs for sale in place of starter dogs on the My Account page. We just need to get them off on the right foot as opposed to letting them figure it all out on their own.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
4/7/2015 10:01:04 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I agree that 1. the time frame is not really the issue and 2. we need to get new players started on the right foot with a show quality puppy from an established kennel

I think that as a breeder/subscribed kennel – there are a few things that we can do to help promote this idea that don’t require any site updates/changes.

As a breeder, make sure your “Kennel” page indicates that you have puppies available frequently or that you’re happy to help a new player get started. I know that NONE of my kennel pages show anything like that right now (so I need to make some updates); but if I’m a new player looking at kennels in my prospective breed that info might prompt me to send a PM. It certainly can’t hurt.

I think also, we need to be better about posting in our “Breed Forums.” This is another logical place for new players to visit – and it’s a great place to promote puppies on the ground or upcoming litters…. I think this also helps to promote and grow the breed community (and ultimately I think that’s what helps grow SD.)

The Dogs for Sale Forum … Other than the breed forum, the best place to promote puppies/dogs for sale. Use the space to your advantage – “Show Quality puppy – BISS GCH sired – outstanding traits in Head, Coat and Feet!”

Also, I'm wondering if we (as players) could put together a "Getting Started" post that has all kinds of pertinent info and post it in the Beginner Forum. I know we don't have the ability to 'pin' a post to the top - but maybe if we just make sure it gets bumped to the top when it gets too far down the page.

Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/7/2015 10:51:20 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I love the idea of making a getting started post made by the users. The first post could be updated with things that other members add for the new folks, so everything needed is in a single post, rather than reading through the entire thread. happy :)

If nobody gets to it before, I will start working on a post while my kids are napping. happy :)

Basic User

Basic User
4/7/2015 3:38:04 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

The help pages just aren't helpful enough - they need updating and making more informative. If they answered the FAQ more fully half the posts on the beginners forum would be unnecessary.

I think we are failing to address problems that in essence could be easily solved - newbies don't know how or where to get finishable dogs, and at the same time the experienced players are FH'ing great pups/adults because they don't have room to keep them or session them.

My answer to this is a Adoption facility in every Premium kennel for up to 10 pups or adults (at any time) that are within the top 2% of SOP in their respective breed (once placed up for adoption they may not be further sessioned or shown by the Premium kennel). These adoption dogs would be featured on a special link page for basic beginners (buying within their first 14 days of joining) at a fixed price, say $100 each for finished or fully sessioned adults and $50 for unsessioned pups.

Once dogs are placed in this 'Adoption' facility they no longer count towards the total dog number for that kennel but also once placed up for adoption they cannot be sessioned, shown or bred from by the kennel placing them there. They can only stay up for adoption for 14 days and after that must be either 'Retired' or FH'd. During the time they are here they all receive a 'standard' ration which is charged at a flat rate of $1.00 a day and which maintains obedience/condition/ muscle/coat at that which it was at the time the dog was placed up for adoption.

The benefit of this would be that beginner basics could be immediately directed upon joining to the link page for all kennels having dogs for adoption.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2015 5:43:09 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Food for thought

-----
Last edited by mournebrake on 4/8/2015 5:44:01 PM
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/9/2015 1:13:52 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 4/9/2015 1:20:19 PM

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.