Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : showing after retirement
 King Blazzo Kennels
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
4/8/2015 11:47:51 AM reply with quote send message to King Blazzo Kennels Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I just went to put a dog in an obedince show and all theconfirmation show still showed up. can you enter these from the retirement couch?

-----
Last edited by King Blazzo Kennels on 4/8/2015 11:48:17 AM
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2015 12:07:10 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

I think it's a glitch since retired dogs should be altered and therefore unable to compete..
 Chittery2
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2015 12:34:05 PM reply with quote send message to Chittery2 Object to Post

They can enter the speciality even when altered.
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2015 12:53:33 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

Just Nationals... that is the only show with a veterans class.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2015 5:37:23 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Retired dogs don't necessarily have to be veterans - you can retire a dog at any age. When you retire a dog it is immediately neutered (altered) and therefore cannot be bred from. It can compete in obedience at any age, retired/altered or not, but not in conformation shows as far as I'm aware unless there is a glitch - HOWEVER why can't we have a class for altered dogs and still enter them?
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2015 6:03:17 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by mournebrake
HOWEVER why can't we have a class for altered dogs and still enter them?
It goes against the premise of dog shows. If they are altered, they can't reproduce, therefore placements would be arbitrary...
eta yeah, I know some KCs have them but doesn't make sense for the game, except a showing for fun type thing.

And yes, I was addressing the above about the veterans comment. Altered dogs cannot be shown at all, aside from that situation.

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 4/8/2015 6:08:53 PM
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/9/2015 12:36:27 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I fail to see that a good dog should be penalised ie unable to show if neutered (altered). In the UK our KC allows castrated/spayed animals to compete. I know of a lot of Champions in various breeds who are neutered.

What if a stunning bitch had pyo and was spayed on medical grounds but was conformationally super and had oodles of ring presence? Are you honestly telling me the only reason people show is to breed on?

What about Joe Public who lives in a one dog zone and only wants to take part in a hobby with their one dog (who is essentially their pet but who happens to be bred out of 2 GCH, who they had their names down for for a year before getting it).

Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/9/2015 12:59:45 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I am not going to get into a debate with you, sorry.
However, in line with the AKC: "the true purpose of conformation showing is to evaluate breeding stock."
Breeding stock: a group of animals used for the purpose of planned breeding
I do realize that conformation shows are not, and should not be, the be all and end all with respect to evaluation.
However, for this game, I do not see that happening, quite pointless, tbh. That is all.

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 4/9/2015 1:05:20 PM
 Dream What May
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/26/2015 6:49:57 PM reply with quote send message to Dream What May Object to Post

It's a Glitch, i've got a Ch male not good enough to try for a GC and who sucked as stud so I put him on the couch, I can still put him in reg shows(and some times do to build a major) since he is less than 120 days.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/26/2015 7:00:32 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Say nothing, take advantage of it! - I've been showing retired (and altered) dogs of any age up to 120 days in conformation, even had group placements with some! Wasn't going to mention it (as I was told I couldn't show altered dogs in this game) but seeing as cat is out of the bag I'll own up.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.