Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : rare breeds
 Glittering
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/27/2015 6:27:20 PM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post   

Hi people

I've gone into a rare breed or two to try and help out. I'm now just about to get my females to breeding age in one of these rare breeds, so go looking for studs. There are no studs advertised.
Yes I can email the kennel owners ... but you have a rare breed and you don't advertise your males? I'll probably have to get source dogs and start breeding up. I'm not sure that I have the patience.

I've looked at another rare breed or two and there are no dogs for sale and often no response from the kennels.

I guess I know why they are rare breeds - other kennels have given up on the breed as it's just too much hard work without support and cooperation from existing breeders.

Sigh.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 6:33:34 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

Have you tried searching abandoned kennels?

I've also had some luck from time to time going back and looking at entries in the breed National shows for the last year

Korthals
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 6:56:08 PM reply with quote send message to Korthals Object to Post

Thanks.

I just regularly see please for help from rarer breeds - then get into them and find they don't actually want to help or even make studs available. It's a little disappointing.
 Korthals
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 6:57:06 PM reply with quote send message to Korthals Object to Post

Oh - Wire Haired Pointing Griffons are an exception, they've been most helpful.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2015 2:53:21 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Which breeds do you need studs in? I'm sure if you post, either kennels will come forward or someone with a little time and enthusiasm will search for you.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
4/29/2015 5:43:04 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

It could be they have gotten use to no one ever using there dogs at stud so just forget to put them up, of course some just don't want to.

If you looking for a nice rare breed to join I found the griffons were very good.
 Whitegold Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/29/2015 5:59:40 AM reply with quote send message to Whitegold Kennels Object to Post

For a while I've felt like I'm the only person playing in Sussex spaniels. Sometimes I simply forget to put studs up because it doesn't affect how I use them.
I've often emailed other kennels asking for them to put up dogs particularly after they've just aged in to breeding age. All are excited that someone has cared enough to stalk their dog.

Jessica
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
4/29/2015 6:53:52 PM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

PPVallhunds - which griffons? There seem to be at least 3.
 Blue Water
Basic User

Basic User
5/7/2015 10:33:43 AM reply with quote send message to Blue Water Object to Post

I am involved in several rare breeds in different kennels. And breeds that that were rare but participation has increased. Having studs available is so important. I have also been in breeds where I've emailed and have gotten no response, at that point unfortunately I start looking for a new breed if other players aren't willing to help out. I know I do not want to use source breeds. I feel your frustration...

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.