Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : So, I'm back
 Shybade
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/16/2015 5:14:34 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post   

So, I'm back after a few years away... been back a couple of months now but wasn't sure that I was going to stick around, so I kept quiet... but since I've logged in every day for a couple months, I think it's safe to say, I'm back.

It's been a rough couple years here. I spent the majority of my life taking care of my mother, and lost her last year. Exactly one month after she passed, I had to put down two of my dogs- one of my Schnauzers "Sidy Boy" due to quality of life (he was blind, incontinent and had a lung/nasal issue that three different antibiotics couldn't seem to conquer), and my Weimaraner due to aggression issues. I still have 3 dogs, all Schnauzers, two indoor cats and about a half a dozen stray cats that I feed -They jump on my front door to let me know they need more food, and this begins at 5am, several times a day (I'm buying 2 cases of canned cat food a week just for them). All of the dogs I have here are aging, the youngest is 10, but they all get along so well I really don't want to bring in another one until I have no other choice.

If you've been around sd long enough, you already know what my kennel looks like- a variety of breeds. I've checked through some of the posts on here and there seems to be a lot of really needy breeds. Some of the 'new needy' breeds used to be highly difficult to play in due to the competition in the past, and now it's hard to even find one for sale, and if you do get one... getting ring competition is difficult.

I'm hoping to finish my goal of a homebred champion in every breed, as well as playing around with a few other breeds. With so many breeds that are now in desperate need of help, it's pretty hard to choose. So, with that being said, what's the most needy of all breeds?
 Blue Moon Collies
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/16/2015 5:30:09 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Moon Collies Object to Post

Welcome back! I am also back after a very long hiatus. Collies could use a few more breeders but Soft Coated Wheaton Terriers are in desperate need of new players. There are some really nice dogs being produced by two kennels and my sister (Tullamore, who used to be very active in the breed) and myself have purchased a few pups to get started.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2015 5:54:10 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

Welcome back, Shy!
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2015 6:33:22 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Welcome back! happy :) I'm sorry to hear about your losses, it sounds like it really has been rough for you lately. sad :(

As for really needy breeds, there's so many to choose from. .-. Personally I'm involved in both the Spanish Water Dog and German Spitz revival projects which are primarily source breeding. German Spitz have four breeders involved, while SWDs have just three of us.

I know that there are also revival source projects going into Beagles, American Foxhounds and Maltese. Maltese used to be at the very bottom of the breed list (as did SWDs and Spitzes I think), but a few breeders have picked them up though it looks like one of the major kennels is on the verge of going inactive. Bergamescos only have 37 active dogs on accounts right now, so they could probably use some help too.

If you're not into source projects...

Belgian Laekenoiss also have very few breeders, you'd be welcome as a permanent breeder there. I noticed that you had been around haha trying to finish Destination Unknown, though I hadn't realized that you were just coming back from hiatus. happy :) I'm just getting into Laekens on my other premi (Suave Kennels). I've started entering a few dogs so hopefully I'll give you some entries to work with.

The only other breed I'm personally in is Pumis, which is a small group of breeders but very friendly. happy :) I'm just returning to them after a hiatus of my own and it looks like there'll be some competition in the ring (not to the point where handlers are necessary however).

Again, welcome back, and I hope that you find the breeds you're looking for! laugh :D
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/16/2015 11:53:12 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Welcome back Shy.

It's 10 years since I lost my mum, 3 years ago my dad. Lost my old guy last November. I know what it's like. Take care of yourself - that kind of stress can be deadly.
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 12:11:30 AM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

Welcome back Shy! Glad to see a familiar face, we used to talk on Tiki chat a long while back when I was Red Barn Ocean Breeze! I'm sorry to hear about your losses. sad :(

If you need an ACD to complete your goal, or just want to chat, feel free to message me! I'd be happy to hear from an old friend. happy :)

-Audrey
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 3:26:40 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Welcome back happy :)
 Glittering
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 3:54:13 AM reply with quote send message to Glittering Object to Post

Hi Shybade

Jeff has lured a few of us back.

God to see a name I know. If I can help in any way, let me know.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 5:44:39 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

YAY!! Welcome back Shy! laugh :D It's good to have you back in the SD community happy :)

I'm sorry to hear of the difficult times you've been through lately. I hope things start to look up for you soon happy :)
 AngelAviary
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2015 9:13:47 AM reply with quote send message to AngelAviary Object to Post

Welcome back, sorry you've had such a rough past year! I am involved in 2 breeds that need alot of help. Both Toy and Mini Poodles only have a few dedicated kennels working with them. I myself have just started in them and do have a pup up for sale if your interested.
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 7:01:16 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

Thanks everyone for the great welcome back. Hoping to research more into a "breed revival project" sometime this weekend. I mostly do everything on my phone but that kind of decision will require the laptop lol
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/18/2015 9:15:26 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Welcome back! I don't know if we have met, but it's nice to see a user return! happy :)

-Lauren
 Blue Water
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2015 5:18:42 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Water Object to Post

Welcome back I remember you from a while back happy :)
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/19/2015 8:44:11 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

welcome back
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 7:03:23 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Welcome back!

It's nice to see one of the greats return! I am sorry about your recent losses.

In my family of accounts I have:

Alaskan Klee Kais - there are four breeders, including myself. We are working to bring back colors (red and white, and grey and white) there are also show quality black and whites available.
American Foxhounds - this is a breed being started from source breeders. There is a closed kennel with show quality dogs, but everything available has a shot at a Ch, but not GCH as our dogs aren't up to par for beating the current show SOPs
Beagles - I just recently joined as I saw the breed was really low, it has fallen further to be the last breed on the difficulty list. I decided to bring back the Black Tan and Bluetick color, in addition to breeding Lemon and White. Black Red and White is the current dominant color. Quick Like A Fox will help out with dogs if you message them and if they have a litter of puppies due happy :)
Bedlington Terriers - there are two other breeders that I know of. Beddiz has been helpful in giving me a start in the breed.
Borzois - This is not a breed hurting at all, but they do regularly take BIS so they are nice to have to help with finances.
Curly Coated Retrievers - this was a needy breed, but I believe numbers have increased. Carrie Too is very helpful.
French Bulldogs - I just joined this breed, thanks to Granite Creek.
Gordon Setters - Another breed that is not hurting too badly for players. Everybody is very nice and willing to help get you started in the breed. This is the breed that got me back into the premium world. laugh :D
Great Danes - Another breed that is not hurting but regularly takes BIS and is nice to have for the funds. Everyone is nice and helpful.
Norfolk Terriers - A few dedicated breeders here, two that I know of, but I have only recently returned to the breed. Very helpful and nice breeders!
Tibetan Terriers - A breed with two kennels I have chatted with. They are both super friendly. There are five of us, that I know about, this breed will take BIS as well.

If I can, I am more than happy to help you get into a breed (or direct you to someone who can) to finish your goal of finishing every breed.

Good luck in your search! happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/20/2015 12:20:27 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Wire Fox seem to be hanging by a thread these days, again if you are into terriers.
 Tullamore Wheatens
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/20/2015 4:18:02 PM reply with quote send message to Tullamore Wheatens Object to Post

Welcome back. Sorry for your loss.
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 6:58:18 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

WFT and Tibetan Terriers both sound interesting. If you have a finishable female pup or a broodie available, let me know. I've already completed both breeds from my project, but I'm not opposed to giving them another shot.

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.