Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : To Try for GCH?
 Legend Has It
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/17/2015 8:31:26 AM reply with quote send message to Legend Has It Object to Post   

I just finished two dogs that seemed to finish CH easily enough. How do I predict if they could be competitive enough for GCH? How do you decide who to keep showing?
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 10:23:28 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

In general, I look at how often the dog went BOB or BOS. You can finish a CH with WD/WB - but in order to get the GCH points you're going to have to be BOB/BOS - so if I have a dog that finished with just WD/WB points and few to no BOB/BOS I won't put in the effort (and $$ stacking shows) to finish the GCH.

That's a great question and I would love to hear what other's think.

**Edited to add - in my breeds where there are few-no other players I usually only go for GCH on an outstanding dog that I intend to use heavily in my breeding program. I like the GCH on the pedigree, but it can be a time/$$ drain.

-----
Last edited by rhondacline on 7/17/2015 10:27:14 AM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2015 12:03:41 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I base my decision much as Rhonda said - BOB and BOS wins, plus age, sex.

If it's a female of breeding age I may take her out for a litter then re-evaluate the competition.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 5:26:14 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I just campaign to GCH whichever dog and bitch CH that I have with the highest SOP's at the time.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2015 8:27:45 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Yep I pretty much use the same criteria as those listed above:

- I look to see where they rank in for the breed that month compared to all the others showing.

- I see how many days they took to get their CH title

- They must be regularly (every day or every 2nd day) be taking BOB or BOS.

- Generally I prefer if they have taken at least 1 Group placement too.

Sometimes it comes down to how many dogs I am showing at that time too. Plus if its a bitch - I'm less likely to put c GCH title on her as I value her more for breeding - unless she is like the Top Dog of that breed.

In one of my other kennels I campaigned a bitch til she was 120 days old. She finished in the Top 10 of her Breed - ALL TIME!. But then she didn't get to have her 1st litter til she was 126 days old lol.
 Legend Has It
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2015 3:49:45 PM reply with quote send message to Legend Has It Object to Post

Thanks! This has helped a lot. I'll probably try it out for a few days with one of the dogs.
 CS Riverflow
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2015 8:18:00 PM reply with quote send message to CS Riverflow Object to Post

It helps to be selective about the judges you show under. I usually look back through the show record and pick out 4 or 5 that the dog placed highest under (taking handlers into account). No sense spending an entry fee if the judge doesn't like your dog relative to the others currently showing!

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class