Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Input needed – Looking for a new breed :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/20/2015 7:45:15 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post   

I’m looking to join a new breed – and would love if I could have some suggestions from everyone happy :)

Criteria:

1. MUST have friendly and social players who are willing to share studs, sell dogs and act as a community.
2. SOP must be lower than 92%
3. Must have at least 2-3 active breeders.
4. Medium-large litter size preferred (the bigger the litter size the better lol)
5. Colours don’t matter – not interested in colour breeding.
6. Ideally would like a breed that places in Group fairly often.

I prefer to help out the more ‘needy’ breeds happy :)

I’ve been playing SD for nearly 10 years so I know what I’m doing lol. I also run a finishing service from this kennel too.

I’m already in:
Anatolian Shepherds
Caucasian Mountain Dogs
Azawakhs

Let’s keep the suggestions coming! happy :)
Thanks in advance happy :)
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 7:53:42 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

Have you considered Kooiks? I have one boy who places in group randomly, there's only 2 colors so no real color breeding going on. Sop is under 92 that I've seen, my highest so far is 91.60. Litter sizes are about the same as Tolians I believe.
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 8:05:33 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

Erm. How about on par with 92%?... razz :p

Belgian Laeknoiss - High SOP (that I know of) is 92.40. I breed them in my other kennel (Suave Kennels), though I only recently got into them and my first litters are due tomorrow. happy :)

Their ability to take group placements I am currently not sure of, but I think they have potential in that regard. razz :p

Right now there are three active premi kennels that are breeding, including myself. One is slightly reserved but is active in the breed (shows, studs, ect). The other and myself would be more than willing to throw at you anything you'd need to get started, and plan to be active showers but not to the point where it is obscenely competitive. happy :)

Litters are big, and there is a small color project going on regarding Masked genes - they are currently rarer but not too far behind on SOP.

German Spitz - Another source project! Yay! laugh :D There are a few of us premi kennels and we'd be more than willing to help you get started, but there isn't really anything to catch up on much so far lol. I started Spitzes right around the time I started SWDs, they're at around the same status right now but we've got a few current SOP bitches / dogs floating around in our possession so it's a bit quicker going. happy :)

Pumis - Just got into these as well, but before I went on hiatus they were my absolute heart breed and have been really fun so far as well. laugh :D Some competition, most likely no group placements and very cheap studs. I think I just drained all the available new-comers broods that there are around but the breeders are very friendly (there are four of us including myself and excluding the breeder who has two kennels) and would be willing to help. happy :)

SOPs are in the low 80s, I think anywhere in the high 80s/low 81s would show. Oakwood also has a kennel in the breed I believe (if I'm not mixing up people). happy :)
  Volta
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 8:25:38 PM reply with quote send message to  Volta Object to Post

Hello!
I have a breed in need!

Lagotto Romagnolo

1. I only am dabbling in them (just until I upgrade to family), but the only active breeder (or at least listed breeder) is super friendly and gets back to me very quickly. She is working with me to bring in some off-white, and has OK'd leasing bitches for breeding.

All studs are listed, and affordable. Dogs go up for sale, although at this point probably not selling a lot. Litters seem to average 5-6 puppies.

I already am liking my fellow breeder and want to move this breed to it's own kennel, if that says anything happy :) They could really use some help and probably some source blood.

2. Our top show dog's SOP is 88.55%, so no worries there!

3. If you join, that puts us at three! wink :) I will be expanding more to be able to show with Iris and anyone new.

4. Litters average 5-6 puppies. Not huge, but a nice size to work with.

5. All colors available -- and if by chance you did want to help with color, off-white is nothing crazy to dabble with. I get overwhelmed sometimes by the sheer number of colors possible in some breeds, so it's nice to have only one in need!

6. This is the only area we are lacking, but I do think the potential is there for the future.

Best of luck with your breed search. Lots of breeds in need, so any of them will be thrilled to have you, I am sure! (well, except for one LOL).

Dutch Creek Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 9:11:07 PM reply with quote send message to Dutch Creek Kennels Object to Post

I can second Kooikerhondjes! This breed can definitely use some more players.

My highest SOP is 91.45, but I still have lots in the 90's too. There are only few active kennels right now, but everyone is very nice. Everyone seems to put up what studs we have and stud fees are all in the $25-50 range.

I have not had a best in group placing yet, but have had a few 2nd and 3rd, so group placing are possible.

If you are ever interested in trying Kooikers out, please feel free to give me a shout! I don't mind helping new breeders with some nice broodies to help them get started happy :)

Thanks,
Dutch Creek
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 11:45:06 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Thanks so much for the input everyone - keep the suggestions coming happy :) I'm always willing to check out a new breed especially if someone talks about it here happy :)

I've spent the past 2 hours looking through the list of breeds and have come across 3 that catch my eye:

Otterhounds
Beauceron
Kooikerhondje

I will email all the breeders of these 3 breeds to put some feelers out to see which breed might suit me happy :)

Keep the suggestions coming happy :)
 Practically Perfect Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/20/2015 11:47:13 PM reply with quote send message to Practically Perfect Kennels Object to Post

This is FallenStarz in my Kooik kennel. I'd be happy to share anything of mine if you pick kooiks happy :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2015 12:03:48 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Awesome - Well I think my decision has been made, haha happy :)

Thanks Fallen - I'll message you now happy :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/21/2015 12:19:41 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - I've chosen to give Kooikerhondje's a go happy :)

Now I need to learn how to spell and pronounce it, LOL !! Hahaa :P

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.