Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : Specialty Show Entry Minimum
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/2/2015 7:02:46 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post   

At the moment a specialty show requires at least 10 entries to run. Many specialties do not run because they do not get 10 entries.

Many feel that this is counterproductive and discourages people from sponsoring more specialty shows.

Please consider the options below and cast your vote.
Specialty Show Entry Minimum
Remove the minimum. 76.86%
Leave it the same. 8.26%
Reduce the minimum. 14.88%
99 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2015 7:55:14 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I say remove the minimum. It was suggested to only remove it for the rare breeds, but there are more breeds that are hurting for entries than just the bottom 50. The more popular breeds will have their minimum entries, so to make Jeff's life easier (from my non-coding background) it would seem removing it would be easier.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/2/2015 10:41:46 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Pretty much any breed that can't get 10 entries for a specialty is "hurting". So yes, remove that minimum for specialties - all of them.

Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2015 3:02:36 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

I agree - remove the minimum altogether.
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/14/2015 6:33:14 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

Bump
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/14/2015 6:46:39 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

To be honest, I have never really paid attention to specialties so I have no opinion - so if it gets removed I won't be mad or glad happy :) I kind of just enter my dogs in shows with the most of my breed.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/14/2015 6:46:40 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

double post, sorry!

-----
Last edited by Little River Kennel on 9/14/2015 6:46:52 PM
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/17/2015 11:16:42 AM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

Bump
 LetsShow
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2015 11:41:03 AM reply with quote send message to LetsShow Object to Post

I'm gonna go against the grain and argue against removing a minimum for player sponsored specialties - I can agree that the minimum could be lowered to 5 or 6, but I do not believe a minimum should be removed completely.

National Specialties have no minimum.
It's happened a number of times in some of the breeds I work with that I get BISS simply because my dog was the only dog entered. In my opinion, you should have to beat at least 4 or 5 dogs to get 'credit' for a Best In Specialty win.

Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2015 12:06:40 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I just think that the minimum only punishes the less popular breeds at this point, it has and will never have a factor on the popular ones.

I think 13 years ago when it was implemented it was an ok thing and made sense, it just doesn't anymore.

The breeders showing less popular breeds shouldn't be punished because they don't have much competition, if they win a BISS against themselves, then so be it. It can happen in RL too.

As someone who sponsors alot of specialties, I tend to not sponsor ones for the less popular breeds because of the entry minimum's not being reached, not because I don't like the breed or the players but I don't want to waste money on a show that won't end up running.

So if the minimum was removed I would be more inclined to sponsor specialties for all breeds, and it's a good way to get payouts too if they get added to the shows.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2015 1:53:37 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

posted by Summerwind Kennels

The breeders showing less popular breeds shouldn't be punished because they don't have much competition, if they win a BISS against themselves, then so be it. It can happen in RL too.

First, I don't believe that it is possible in real life. That's like saying if I was the only dog to show up at my local dog show I would automatically win Best In Show. (If the entries aren't there, the show would be cancelled. - which is how the current system handles it.)

I play in a lot of breeds where there are only 1 or 2 players and personally, I don't feel 'punished' at all by a lack of Specialties.

When I enter daily shows we have minimal to no entries. In all honesty, I'm not worried about specialties at all. IF I were concerned with anything, it would be with trying to recruit new people to the breed. (Which if that were to happen then the breed would probably meet the existing minimum.)

Regardless, it's just my opinion and I am simply voicing it as points to consider.

(Obviously this is LetsShow in my other kennel)

Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2015 2:49:14 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

I voted reduce-somethig like 5 may be more suitable for the struggling breeds
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/17/2015 7:39:32 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

I would love to recruit new breeders but that is much easier said than done sometimes.

A new player will come along once in awhile but the demand for my breed is just not there.

Silky Terriers have 3 serious breeders, one of which hasn't shown in months.

I put out the money to host a Silky Specialty every day this month and two breeders have struggled at times to make 10.

I do respect and appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/17/2015 7:41:15 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

If nothing else maybe the sponsor could at least have their money refunded if the show doesn't have 10.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 12:23:51 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

Where I live, I've been to shows where there were very few entries. I once showed at a Siberian specialty where the only entries were from 2 breeders, I showed the only puppy, we automatically won BPISS and RWB because the only other class bitch entered won WB.

I've seen alot of shows where only one dog of a breed was entered, they automatically won BOB. Where I'm from we often try to get points from group placements because we don't have enough breed entries in the more unusual breeds.

By "being punished" all I meant was that it was one more thing that the rarer breeds had against them, even when it comes to trying to recruit new players, alot of people like the specialties, but can't enter 10 dogs between one or two people.

I just see no reason to have a minimum anymore since the numbers of entries are down overall as it is.

And if we are going to keep the minimum, I agree the show sponsor should be refunded, so they can add another show instead of just losing the money.
 BanCree Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/18/2015 3:56:38 PM reply with quote send message to BanCree Kennels Object to Post

In many years of showing I've often been the only entry in a class or breed.

My dad used to ask me why show if I was the only one. I always told him the win still mattered because I didn't get disqualified! Lol

Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 9:40:15 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I too really object to losing my money if the show is cancellec.

Now maybe I look at this differently to some but if there are only 4 or 5 dogs showing - and I don't care if they belong to one person or 5, those same 4 or 5 dogs are competing with each other at all breed shows every day. Why should they be denied the opportunity of an extra show once in a while? Apart from the extra points, it usually provides an opportunity to compete in a no-handler event.

Perhaps my feelings on this are influenced by the fact that I don't care two figs about what other breeds are doing. My primary focus is what my dogs are doing against the others in their breed.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/18/2015 9:41:59 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Me. Timed out

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.