Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : 100 sop possible?
 Rough Edges
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/13/2015 3:17:53 AM reply with quote send message to Rough Edges Object to Post   

Just wondering ... I thought the current system was set up so that no dog/breed could reach 100. I notice that Great Danes have already topped 99 with 4 10s. How is this even possible and are we headed to 100 again, just a little slower?

kc meadows
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2015 9:17:01 AM reply with quote send message to kc meadows Object to Post

I am curious too
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2015 2:37:00 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I wasn't around for the last reset, but I believe that the system will not allow a 100 dog, they can get close but not 100.
I don't know if there will be another reset or adjustment in the future or how soon it'll be.

Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/13/2015 3:59:30 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

i wish it would be possible. I want to own a 100.0 SOP :P
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2015 4:22:20 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

I'm fairly sure that when we had the last 'reset' Jeff made a change to the system so that he would never have to do a reset again ... however it does seem that Danes are getting mighty close to 99.9%?
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/14/2015 11:05:27 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Now, my memory might be faulty on this but as I recall, the new 'process' involved a sort of on-going reset. Numbers would be adjusted based on all active dogs regardless of breed. I believe it was supposed to run daily.

Everyone squawked about having the numbers change daily but apparently, on a day to day basis the difference was quite small so the process was disabled for the time being.

That's how I remember it. Perhaps I'm wrong but if the process is not working it's likely because it was turned off some time ago.

Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2015 3:59:07 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I guess when the Dane folks reach close to 100 they can move to a new breed and bring it up. laugh :D
 Rough Edges
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2015 4:07:04 AM reply with quote send message to Rough Edges Object to Post

I remember, I think, that ratings were supposed to be based on how a dog compares to all the other dogs in its group? (Maybe?) And 10s were supposed to be very difficult to achieve.

I don't know what happened, but it's pretty clear things aren't going the way they were originally intended when we had the last reset a few years ago.

Many dogs are pulling multiple 10s and breeds are making steady (if somewhat slower) progress toward 100 again.

This isn't criticism; more like an observation. In fact, it's important for breeders to be able to improve their stock. If improvement isn't possible, what's the point?

Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2015 2:54:25 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

I started playing again in 2011 after a hiatus and I believe there were 10s already in Head and T,N,B in danes, so the 10s in those to characteristics are pretty strong in most lines in general. However, it's taken me 4 years to get 10s back in hindquarter, so I think the process is still pretty slow.

I also think that the changing numbers bit that Dalkeith mentioned is going on because when I look back at an old champion, the numbers seem lower than what I remember on a dog (or maybe my memory is failing me...) happy :)
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2015 2:55:20 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Also, didn't the reset include Jeff adding an extra hidden decimal?
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2015 4:30:20 PM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

posted by Rough Edges

This isn't criticism; more like an observation. In fact, it's important for breeders to be able to improve their stock. If improvement isn't possible, what's the point?

Even if a dog has the same SOP, some dogs will still have that little bit extra that makes them a winner. So improvement is always possible.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2015 6:00:49 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I do rember him saying the closer to 100 a breed got the harder it would be to get improvement,

so a breed at say 40 would see faster improvement than a breed at say 98

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class