Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Just Curious
 Guzman Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/10/2016 7:19:42 PM reply with quote send message to Guzman Kennels Object to Post   

I am curious if anyone has ever bred a litter they thought would come out well and seen a drastic regression in genetic traits? I bred a 19.00 sourcie to a 98.30 stud and the best I got out of the litter was a 7.00? The same thing happened, well, a similar thing, in a different breed, but neither dog was a source dog, (both were in fact champions). Thankfully, most of my breedings turn out great, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/10/2016 11:00:33 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

When breeding a source dog, I have noticed as long as you see source dog in the pedigree, the sops are all over the place.

I have bred many litters where I thought they would throw me epic puppies and had to FH the entire litter. Other times I just breed to one of the first few studs I look at and it gives me a top SOP. lol
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2016 4:01:28 AM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Treestand Kennel
When breeding a source dog, I have noticed as long as you see source dog in the pedigree, the sops are all over the place.

I have bred many litters where I thought they would throw me epic puppies and had to FH the entire litter. Other times I just breed to one of the first few studs I look at and it gives me a top SOP. lol

Snap! Have bred wonderful dogs that have had shocking litters but the first litter in one of the breeds I am in I had I just bought a bitch and bred her to the best stud and got this guy...who was the top SOP'ed harrier for a while lol

Look at his SOP then that of his parents xD

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14616347

-----
Last edited by jaime1985 on 5/11/2016 4:02:36 AM
 Backwoods Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
5/11/2016 11:54:35 PM reply with quote send message to Backwoods Kennel Object to Post

Nice!
 Bennett Working Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
5/14/2016 5:31:27 PM reply with quote send message to Bennett Working Dogs Object to Post

One can't just look at the parents when choosing possible mates. One should also consider the grandparents. It's genetics.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/14/2016 10:37:46 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

As in real life - sometimes what should theoretically be a great litter - turns into a dud litter. I get these every so often.

And the reverse -- some of my best dogs have come from matings that just didn't look that great, but produced solid gold.
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2016 10:36:21 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

I swear I've seen everything. Bad litters that were supposed to be great. Good/great litters that were supposed to be mediocre (I do a lot of color breeding). I've seen random traits show up from just okay breedings and stay strong.

Sometimes, I honestly breed two dogs together cause I've thought of a really good name that would be perfect lol. SD is random enough, that I don't really expect anything.

Alexandria

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class