Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : What to do?
 Thundering Hills Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/23/2017 10:31:33 AM reply with quote send message to Thundering Hills Kennel Object to Post   

Need some input. I'm trying to help out the more unpopular breeds in all my kennels but for some breeds I'm finding that there are no dogs for sale and no studs. For example the only way I was able to get started in one breed was to buy both a starter male and female. Another example is that I have a few females ready to breed but the only studs are priced insanely high. On multiple occasions I've contacted multiple kennels asking to lower the stud fee, asking if they had any females I could lease out to get me started in the breed and everyone I have contacted either ignored me or refused to help.

So if you were me would you just ditch the breed that is is serious help and find a breed that is more friendly and a little more active or just keep inbreeding and wait until dogs are old enough to put up as stud for a reasonable price?
 Fleetwood1
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2017 11:47:04 AM reply with quote send message to Fleetwood1 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Thundering Hills Kennel
Need some input. I'm trying to help out the more unpopular breeds in all my kennels but for some breeds I'm finding that there are no dogs for sale and no studs. For example the only way I was able to get started in one breed was to buy both a starter male and female. Another example is that I have a few females ready to breed but the only studs are priced insanely high. On multiple occasions I've contacted multiple kennels asking to lower the stud fee, asking if they had any females I could lease out to get me started in the breed and everyone I have contacted either ignored me or refused to help.

So if you were me would you just ditch the breed that is is serious help and find a breed that is more friendly and a little more active or just keep inbreeding and wait until dogs are old enough to put up as stud for a reasonable price?

-------------------------

Hi
I used to be very generous with my studs and sales, but due to the fact that some players will use my dogs for a $25.00 stud fee, then have their dogs up at $200.00 is really stupid....They are the reason that I am now a closed kennel.
So, unless you want to pay stupid prices, I would suggest that you find a friendlier breed (I can be friendly, but don't like being taken advantage of.)
And as far as the Podengo sales board- I refuse to pay 200.00 for a dog when I can buy a really nice Dane or Golden for the price that they are asking.
That's just my thoughts on the matter.
Happy Showing.

-----
Last edited by Fleetwood1 on 11/23/2017 11:52:28 AM
 Fleetwood1
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2017 11:57:39 AM reply with quote send message to Fleetwood1 Object to Post

Just wanted to add-
If you need some nice 25.00 studs, look at what Another Dawg Kennel has.
 Thundering Hills Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2017 12:04:54 PM reply with quote send message to Thundering Hills Kennel Object to Post

posted by Fleetwood1
Just wanted to add-

I was just searching around and looked up Another Dawg Kennel and saw they had tons of dogs up for sale but when I checked the same breed under the stud page I couldn't find any of Another Dawgs up for stud. I thought if a dog is listed for stud you could find them on the stud page?
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2017 12:09:13 PM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post

I have a bit of the same problem with one of my breeds in this kennel. There are only 3 studs listed and 1 is mine, the other 2 are too closely related to my bitch. I might end up inbreeding just to keep the breed alive in my kennel. I'm partial to it because my very first litter was one of these and the dogs I have are descendants of that first bitch.
 Fleetwood1
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2017 12:19:40 PM reply with quote send message to Fleetwood1 Object to Post

posted by Thundering Hills Kennel
posted by Fleetwood1
Just wanted to add-

I was just searching around and looked up Another Dawg Kennel and saw they had tons of dogs up for sale but when I checked the same breed under the stud page I couldn't find any of Another Dawgs up for stud. I thought if a dog is listed for stud you could find them on the stud page?

-----------------------------

They are an inactive Basic, so their dogs will not be on the current stud dog page.
They are now classified as "Hidden Studs"
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2017 2:14:40 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Perhaps you should list the breeds/colours/whatever you are looking for. Some folks take great pleasure in searching out those hidden gem studs.

I have a few less common breeds and all my studs are listed as they come of age at 25 to 100, depending on the breed and quality. If I miss any, it's an oversight - just ask. I'd rather get "taken advantage of" by one person and help two others get started.

Taking my own advice, I have Airedales, Wire and Smooth Fox; Saluki, Pharaohs, Greyhound, Basenji; American and English Cocker in 10 kennels. Anything anyone is interested in, just ask.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/23/2017 2:20:32 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

And Fleetwood is right - studs belonging to inactive Basics are not listed.

I think Basics can only list new studs if they get their CH but if they are subscribed accounts then go Basic the studs stay available regardless of titles but will not be listed - you have to search for them.

Good luck.
 Thundering Hills Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/25/2017 1:45:53 PM reply with quote send message to Thundering Hills Kennel Object to Post

I did not know that about inactive basic kennels. Good to know thanks!

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.