Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : using someone elses suffix in naming
 Tana del Drago
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/11/2022 9:49:56 PM reply with quote send message to Tana del Drago Object to Post   

Part of the reason I like this game is I love names/naming including coming up with cool kennel names that have good meanings (Tana del Drago means dragon's lair or cave of the dragon). Etymology and language is one of my passions IRL. I have multiple kennels on the game that are not English.

The one downside to this is if I sell a pup unnamed, there is a pretty good likelihood the person will name it with my kennel name in it, or use my stud and name all their puppies with my suffix/prefix in their names. Generally I ask if they would kindly rename their pups and am usually met with apology and then changing of the name.

I'm sure this happens IRL. What would happen if someone were to campaign a dog with your kennel name in it that you had nothing to do with? OR if the name is sooooo close but slightly off to your kennel name/prefix/suffix but not exactly, can you do anything about it? I'd give RL examples but don't wanna single anyone out.

JW
 DetroitKennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/11/2022 10:20:46 PM reply with quote send message to DetroitKennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I do not think people mean anything negative by it, I believe it’s actually considered as being sign of respect to the breeder acknowledging they bred the dog (in the game). The intent is not to pass off the dog as your but to pay respect to the fact it was bred from your kennel.
If you would prefer people did not use your kennel name would send a polite email when you sell a dog.
In real life I feel like the name of a dog (if the kennel name etc would be used or not) would be discussed in the sale of the dog, but quite honestly since this is just a game it’s not real and is silly to wait for email exchanges over a quick sale dog, and I feel people tend to err on the side of caution and want to acknowledge the breeder. But as I said if you prefer they don’t I am sure a quick email will do the trick (you could include a memo in the call name if you want that may be easier for you).
Wish you well!

-----
Last edited by DetroitKennel on 1/11/2022 10:22:26 PM
 Tana del Drago
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2022 1:29:13 AM reply with quote send message to Tana del Drago Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Thanks for your reply.

I mean in real life, you having had nothing to do with the breeding of the dog, someone having your kennel name in the name of the dog.

I should clarify I don't mind if they put my suffix on my dog that I bred... but that they use a part of my kennel name in the name of the dog.

Like if I sold an unnamed dog to "User" and they made the name User's Dangerous Drago ..or User's Tenacious Tana. Lol. Or I bought a terrier from you and named it "Tana del Drago's I Live in Detroit" and kept naming my dogs with 'Detroit' down the generations.

idk

-----
Last edited by Tana del Drago on 1/12/2022 1:31:02 AM
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/12/2022 7:08:59 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Editing my post because it's 8am and I can't read laugh :D

I've had this happen with my Comet name and I am supremely flattered when it does happen. I get to see where the progeny is and it doesn't bother me.

-----
Last edited by Comet Poodles on 1/12/2022 7:12:11 AM
 DetroitKennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/12/2022 7:57:57 AM reply with quote send message to DetroitKennel Object to Post

I think using “at otherkennelname” or including it in the name is in the same vein- trying to respect the breeding kennel by acknowledging the lineage. I have done it! Honestly at first I did not, didn’t even cross my mind but then I realized it a lot of others were as a sign of trying to respect the other kennel via recognizing their involvement. Now I feel guilty if I totally forget and don’t do it (sometimes I’ll buy a pup and it sits there a for a while until an adult and I name). Personally I am flattered when someone does do it, but also TOTALLY fine when they don’t. Doesn’t really matter to me.
But you are very much entitled to not want your kennel name used and sending a follow up email/notating in the call name is probably the best way to get your wishes granted. It seems like you have been handling it super appropriately so far so while it’s a minor inconvenience just remember it does come out of a place of good intent.

Real life is very different from the game and I would think that in the purchase of a dog the breeder and the purchaser would discuss naming guidelines and make it clear whether the breeder wants the kennel name used/requires it/doesn’t want it etc.
Thank you for bringing your point of view to light though. Honestly will probably ask now what the breeder prefers. I don’t purchase dogs super often and when I do I want to make sure I am respecting the kennel it comes from wishes!
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/12/2022 11:50:18 AM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

In RL here, the pup would be sold normally with the prefix on the name, and the kennel showing said pup would add their affix at the end eg "

"Breeder Affix" Rover at/from "owner affix"

If a pup is sold without an affix to me and I haven't bred it, I would put my affix on at the end, eg Rover at/from "my affix"

On here I have turned into a puppy farmer and have far too many pups and can't even remember which litter they are from half the time, but that would't happen in real life!! But I always try and use the names of the sire and dam or others in the pedigree combined to make the pups names. That tends to happen more in the horse world in RL though!
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/12/2022 2:00:48 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

I always sell any pups already named, which gives me control over any potential use of my kennel name.
 Tana del Drago
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2022 9:36:39 PM reply with quote send message to Tana del Drago Object to Post

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by Tana del Drago on 1/12/2022 9:37:41 PM
 Tana del Drago
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2022 9:37:31 PM reply with quote send message to Tana del Drago Object to Post

Thanks all for your inputs.

In RL here, the pup would be sold normally with the prefix on the name, and the kennel showing said pup would add their affix at the end
Real life is very different from the game and I would think that in the purchase of a dog the breeder and the purchaser would discuss naming guidelines and make it clear whether the breeder wants the kennel name used/requires it/doesn’t want it etc.
I'm sorry, I mean to say if your kennel name was placed inside of a dog's name whom you had nothing to do with (you didn't breed it or sell it), for example a dog being shown in the UK with the name being the name of a kennel in the US... does the US kennel have the right or ability to request dog's name change?

I mean US kennel being "red cola" or something which is a kennel in the States, and a dog being shown in the UK, which is a completely different bloodline, "red cola" kennel had NO PART in breeding/showing it, etc., and the dog's name was "User's Red Cola"...

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and what happened.

Again, I do not mean a puppy you have sold or from a stud you own having your affix in it.

chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/13/2022 3:05:22 PM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

In the UK we have to register and pay for our affix,every year. If we stop paying, we lose the right to use the affix and actually then someone else could pinch it!But this only applies to uk affixes, and I have seen,names pulled off old or foreign pedigrees and used.for exams in my own breed,there's a fashion for new breeders to use von instead of from and a germanic name in the hope that naive buyers will think 'german bred, or german import' and not pet quality,pet bred which it actually is!!
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/13/2022 10:34:14 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

In the example you give, "red cola" is a generic name so I don't think it would be wrong to use it.

For instance in RL my Afghan Hound kennel name is Tarot. However, since it is not a registered kennel name or a personal name, anyone who wants to can use it. I have seen many dogs of many breeds with the word tarot in their name.

On the other hand, if your kennel name was JonDoeDogs for instance, it would be unethical (to me) to call a dog Smith's JonDoeDogs.

Does that make sense?
 Tana del Drago
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2022 11:23:42 PM reply with quote send message to Tana del Drago Object to Post

Thank you happy :)

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.