Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : How long after whelping is a female breedable?
 Sunwing
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/9/2023 2:38:16 PM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Just wanted to confirm, since I noticed most of my females come back into "heat" when their current litter is 5 days old, but for a couple of my females (in the same breed) it will take much longer.

Is there any sort of science to how long a female needs to "recover", is it random? genetics based? Just curious :3

-----
Last edited by Sunwing on 3/9/2023 2:38:49 PM
 CzarinaTerriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/9/2023 2:51:38 PM reply with quote send message to CzarinaTerriers Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Females must wait till five days after the last litter is born, but I do think there’s sometimes a lag - likely depends on when the original liter was bred or maybe if it resets after midnight not sure. But all females should be completely capable to breed after 5 days (as soon as the pups turn 6 days, sometimes earlier in the fifth day, again possible relating to litter time etc).
I have never had a bitch not be able to breed after the pups end their 5th day and turn 6 days. But occasionally I can breed while the pups are still in the fifth day.
https://www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=25

Should never be an issue breeding a gal once the pups and their 5th day and and are onto the 6th so if that’s happened to you it must be a weird glitch?

-----
Last edited by CzarinaTerriers on 3/9/2023 2:54:34 PM
 Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/9/2023 3:14:05 PM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

Ah okay thanks for that! I admit I assumed 5 days meant they were ready when puppies were on their 5th day, not after the full 5th day. Makes sense to me!

I know I've had at least 1 female that went on to day 8 (I think, it was a bit ago now) and I was seriously stressing lol. But that was probably a glitch.
 Zoetic
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/9/2023 3:50:06 PM reply with quote send message to Zoetic Object to Post

Also, sometimes the female doesn't have a "Breed" button yet, but if you look and her last offspring are 5 days old, you can go to a stud's page and try to breed from him and she will show up on the list.
happy :)

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.