Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : What is with this judge??
 Lanakila Corgis
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
1/20/2020 1:35:26 PM reply with quote send message to Lanakila Corgis Object to Post   

https://www.showdog.com/shows/show_results.aspx?show=DM%20Winter%20Ball

Ok, so what gives with judge Michele Hamilton? Once again she puts up a source dog for BIS?? Maybe she needs to be removed from the judges’ pool... (yeah, wishful thinking!)
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
1/20/2020 3:06:12 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

I hear you! She gave a 5-point Best of Breed to a partly-sessioned TFT with a 9-something SOP. I admit, none of my dogs are more than second-generation and the highest SOP in that particular entry was 19-something, but the 19-something is a fully-sessioned grand champion two points away from bronze.

She's a quirky judge, all right--in real life I'd love to hear her explanation for her reasoning. In real life, I suspect she'd be like the judge that REALLY wanted to hand the win to one dog over mine and said that it had "outstanding reach," when the only way to get the thing to move was to put it in front of my beautifully-moving puppy--but darned if, for the twelve steps it took, it didn't have "outstanding reach!" LOL

I suspect Michele would be one of those judges that would fall on either side of the fence--favorite judge or DNS--with no one ever calling her middle of the road.

By the way--CONGRATS to today's TFT winner. It must have been a wonderful feeling and I'm GLAD you got those points!
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/20/2020 3:06:52 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Michele Hamilton:
--------------------------------
Doesn't like using the same breeds that win every other show for BIS.

Has a tendency to use dogs handled by certain handlers but isn't overt in it. Low level of breed bias.

Thinks dogs should be compared to how good they are vs the rest of their breed rather than overall quality vs all dogs.

---------------------------------

This sort of thing has come up before with certain judges - I don't think it is actually a bug, though I'm not sure.

There are two things in her profile that may be at play here:
1. Doesn't like using the same breeds - a "rare breed" bias.
2.how good they are vs the rest of their breed - Since there are likely few Chessies being show, this dog might well be he very best of them.

While it seems odd and not somethin you'd see in real life, but I think these things are a factor. Perhaps the influence of this tendancy needs to be dialed back a bit if possible - not sure . . .

I also see she had a decent handler when several of the other Group 1sts hand owner-handlers - possibly a factor too.

(We were typing in tandom, Loup! Lol!)

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/20/2020 3:13:47 PM
 Azawakh Inc.
Basic User

Basic User
1/20/2020 3:36:57 PM reply with quote send message to Azawakh Inc. Object to Post

posted by LoupGarou
I hear you! She gave a 5-point Best of Breed to a partly-sessioned TFT with a 9-something SOP. I admit, none of my dogs are more than second-generation and the highest SOP in that particular entry was 19-something, but the 19-something is a fully-sessioned grand champion two points away from bronze.

She's a quirky judge, all right--in real life I'd love to hear her explanation for her reasoning. In real life, I suspect she'd be like the judge that REALLY wanted to hand the win to one dog over mine and said that it had "outstanding reach," when the only way to get the thing to move was to put it in front of my beautifully-moving puppy--but darned if, for the twelve steps it took, it didn't have "outstanding reach!" LOL

I suspect Michele would be one of those judges that would fall on either side of the fence--favorite judge or DNS--with no one ever calling her middle of the road.

By the way--CONGRATS to today's TFT winner. It must have been a wonderful feeling and I'm GLAD you got those points!

-------------------------------------------

Love that explanation, Loup...

Quirky is a mild term... LOL!

That judge must have been up late last night with Robert, and left her eyeglasses at home!

Although most of the Group placers were Owner handled, her profile doesn't suggest that she prefers O/H.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/20/2020 4:33:33 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Michelle loves the owners.... The last 2 starter BIS wins were owned by the same owner... :P

Will
 Dark Mirage
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2020 10:27:25 AM reply with quote send message to Dark Mirage Object to Post

Her Herding group winner is a source dog, too.
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/21/2020 1:42:21 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

There should be a mass boycott of her shows.
I won’t show under her.
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2020 2:36:59 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

posted by Clwyd Cockers
I won’t show under her.

None of my dogs are higher than second generation. I'll give her every entry I've got! LOL
 Nymble Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2020 11:13:26 PM reply with quote send message to Nymble Kennels Object to Post

Glad I wasn’t the only one! I was surprised she DNP’d my Mudi special that consistently goes BIB/BISS.
 Whispering Secrets
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/16/2020 6:23:27 PM reply with quote send message to Whispering Secrets Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

posted by LoupGarou
posted by Clwyd Cockers
I won’t show under her.

None of my dogs are higher than second generation. I'll give her every entry I've got! LOL

Clywd Cockers: I had to laugh, what's wrong with unpopular breeds that are not high in sop getting picked? We're working just as hard as other popular and higher sop breeds, too. Plus, when we try to have starter only shows, that gets bombed anyway, but that's just how it is. Welcome to how real life showing works, it doesn't always make sense. I've shown against some of the worst examples of breeds in real shows, and they got picked over much better dogs.

Loup-I agree. I've got Alaskan Klee Kais and Beaucerons (some in the 96s but showing the far lower sops), Mudis too (those are now in the 96s range though). Lorrene Moore also put up my AKK for BIS and my Beau for 2nd in show, same show. Bet that'll annoy people now.

https://www.showdog.com/shows/show_results.aspx?show=All%20Breeds%20Spectacular%20103

Edited for bolding names.

Meagen
-Whispering Secrets-Beauceron
-Equity Danes-Danes and GSDs
-Black Raven Kennels-Dobes
-raincloudkennel-AKK
-Phantasm-basic
-Dark River-Mudi

-----
Last edited by Whispering Secrets on 2/16/2020 6:23:58 PM

-----
Last edited by raincloudkennel on 2/16/2020 6:29:24 PM

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.