.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Question for experienced Source breeders
 Carolyn
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/2/2022 9:29:02 AM reply with quote send message to Carolyn Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I just had a Generation 10 from source litter. Been working on it since last May.
My goal with this Source x current SOP project is to get Heads that aren’t cemented at 10.2 (as it has been for a number of years)

Current show quality SOP in Newfoundlands is 99.65 to 99.7

My quandary? I just got this nice pup, highest SOP of the project yet but, wouldn’t you know it, it’s head stat is at 10.2!!!!!

https://www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=17959925

My question? Would you keep it to breed to?

Thanks,
C

-----
Last edited by Carolyn on 3/2/2022 9:30:15 AM
 FromRussiaWithLove
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/2/2022 10:36:53 AM reply with quote send message to FromRussiaWithLove Object to Post

Hello,
I do outcross source not strictly source only. But I would keep him and possible breed to your 10 head girl. That can bring it closer to ten from 10.2. Unless you are strictly working from the 9 side, but I think it would be worth it to work from the 10 side as well.
In the long run it will likely actually be better to have a line coming in from the 10+ side rather than the 10- side if you are ever planning on outcrossing with current SOP when you get closer.
If you are planning on breeding to strictly source until u get exactly at or past current SOP though mixing 10- and 10+ sides can make the trait less predictable.
Personally I think I would take it and try and breed with 10/10.1s but that’s just me! Good luck on your source project whatever you may choose!
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/26/2022 4:31:41 PM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

I can’t help you here.
I am doing true source breeding in this kennel.
I don’t ruin my 16 years of hard work by breeding to a current champion.

I’m a purist laugh :D

Carol
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/26/2022 11:17:13 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

If you keep it, only breed it back to heads less than 10.

And then only keep offspring with low heads as well if you want to keep trying to pull a 10.

Will

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.