Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Irish Water Spaniel source plan
 CarrieCurl
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
8/30/2022 9:31:10 AM reply with quote send message to CarrieCurl Object to Post   

I am starting work on Source x high SOP in an effort to break the 9.8 and 10.1 barriers in Hq and Head.

If anyone wants to weigh in, feel free.

It has taken 14 months but I am almost there with my Newfoundland source breedings. As a result, I would say it will take that long or longer with IWS.

Cheers,
Carolyn
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2022 11:40:26 AM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post

Have you been able to break the 99.70 Newfie barrier?

What is involved with the IWS source project? I might be interested.
 Carolyn
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2022 2:06:30 PM reply with quote send message to Carolyn Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

CarrieCurl here from my main kennel.

The aim of my Newf project was to break 10.2 in head and feet AND have SOP above 99.7.
I have had a couple of 10s in head but the highest SOP has been 99.55 to this point, generation 14. I just bred a gen 14 boy. Waiting to see what develops there.

In IWS, HQ is stuck on 9.8 and Head on 10.1. These are the two highest value items, for want of a better word.
SOP is below 99 as well.

My aim is to improve on all of this. It’s gonna take a while but I enjoy the challenge.

I always breed a Source generation to a finishable SOP.

Cheers,
Carolyn

-----
Last edited by Carolyn on 8/30/2022 2:08:22 PM

-----
Last edited by Carolyn on 9/2/2022 8:47:20 AM
 CarrieCurl
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2022 2:13:41 PM reply with quote send message to CarrieCurl Object to Post

At least one kennel has much higher SOP IWS than others but I’m working hard to improve my SOP as well.
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/31/2022 12:11:08 AM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post

So you buy source dogs? You must need a lot, can't you just get 5 per kennel? That is what I did in my Afghan Hound kennel (Tarot) to bring self-masked blues up to current SOP. It's a long process.
 CarrieCurl
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/31/2022 5:01:21 AM reply with quote send message to CarrieCurl Object to Post

I start with a Source female and a Source male, yes, I buy them, and breed each to a current SOP male and female.
The offspring, as you know, will be very low SOP but I keep, at least initially, one male and female from each breeding.

A long, drawn out process but, I try to keep on top of it. Yep
 jdoyle
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/31/2022 7:30:11 AM reply with quote send message to jdoyle Object to Post

I will be watching your project with interest. I have often wondered about what can be done with these stuck traits. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

CarrieCurl
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/3/2022 6:39:39 PM reply with quote send message to CarrieCurl Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

This dog has done it!! Generation 16 and we just broke the 99.7 Newfdounland Dog barrier!!

https://www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=18204888

-----
Last edited by CarrieCurl on 11/3/2022 6:40:14 PM
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/3/2022 9:13:37 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Love the name too!

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.